The Summilux-M 28mm f/1.4 has upset my existing lens kit.

KanzaKruzer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

He is Swedish - they eat the things in Tomato Sauce... ;)

Among other delicious ways. Much more imaginative than, to randomly pick a nationality, how the Dutch eat herring.

Imo there are valid questions about the logic to the OP's lens choice quandry, particularly based on his statements in post #13. To anybody who knows his or her particular style of photography the arrival on the scene of a lens in a focal length which has long since existed but with a one stop wider aperture ought not to upset any lens line-up, particularly one as extensive as the OP's is and has been. But, as the OP also states, his style may be changing in which case he should try the 28/1.4.

I am, however, fairly certain he'll realise that 28mm on a Leica M will show the same field of view as it does on an SLR. And for the vast majority of situations where that lens would be used the extra stop would change little to nothing in how well the photos come out.

Philip

• Like 1

I did have  a look at this lens in Mayfair, should have tried a few shots but got drawn by the 246.....

Anyway it was a neat looking lens, very much reminded me of a slightly tubby 35 FLE. It looked big (in a packed full of glass kindof way) next to my pre asph 21 Elmarit I had on my camera at the time. It's not 75m Summilux or Noctilux big, but it's notably bigger than than say a 50mm Summicron, or 28mm Summicron.

Edited by IWC Doppel
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Three thoughts for the OP to consider -

1:   Keep the lenses that you already have - nothing went wrong with them when Leica dropped the 28 Summilux on the market.

2:   If money is not an issue, buy the 28 Summilux to go with your existing kit. 

3:   Less weight to carry is always a good goal; you don't have to always carry all your kit when you go out shooting.  Take a couple of lenses that will do what you want to do that day and leave the rest at home.

That would be my approach.

I'll keep my existing lens kit, but there is a high probability that I will purchase the 28/1.4 in 2017. I already used my 2015 discretionary budget on a row boat and my 2016 discretionary budget is targeted for a woodworking bench with a tail vise and leg vise. I've been using my 21mm and 90mm more this past month, but it has only increased my desire for a 28mm. I really think a 28/1.4 and 50/2 two lens travel kit would be ideal for my needs.

Edited by KanzaKruzer
  • Like 1

I could see the 28/1.4 replacing the 35/1.4, but also that the 35/1.4 might be fine and you don't need the 28/1.4. (I know "need" is defined differently in this forum, but you know what I mean).

Often 50mm and 35mm are too close, so having both 35/1.4 and 28/1.4 might be two very close lenses.

But the 28/1.4 is a hell of a lens. Very modern, contrasty and smooth at the same time. 

• Like 3

I could see the 28/1.4 replacing the 35/1.4, but also that the 35/1.4 might be fine and you don't need the 28/1.4. (I know "need" is defined differently in this forum, but you know what I mean).

Often 50mm and 35mm are too close, so having both 35/1.4 and 28/1.4 might be two very close lenses.

But the 28/1.4 is a hell of a lens. Very modern, contrasty and smooth at the same time. 

Thorsten,

Most of the time I carry either the 35/1.4 or 50/2. Using those as a two lens kit seems too close. Your review and those you mention on your blog are some of the handful of reviews on the new 28/1.4. I'd like to see more written about the lens especially in low light. I'd have to use the 28 and 50 for awhile to see if I could let go of my 35/1.4.

• Like 1

I think there is a considerable enough jump between 28mm and 35mm to warrant having both. I have, on a few occasions, been quite surprised at how much more wider the 28 is in real life use. On paper, not so much.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 3

Thorsten,

Most of the time I carry either the 35/1.4 or 50/2. Using those as a two lens kit seems too close. Your review and those you mention on your blog are some of the handful of reviews on the new 28/1.4. I'd like to see more written about the lens especially in low light. I'd have to use the 28 and 50 for awhile to see if I could let go of my 35/1.4.

It's coming. The 28mm article just started and will expand over the next months with interviews, samples and all. 

• Like 1

Thorsten,

I just wanted to say I enjoy your website.  But, I wanted to thank you for continuing to interact here.  Some that started here and now have websites of their own no longer participate and answer question or contribute here.  I understand that there exists some benefit to you, but without being too obsequious, thanks.   :)

Rick 

• Like 4

OP : you've lived without 28 mm for so long, so I think you can still live without it.

If you really want 28 mm, why not try an Elmarit or Cron.

The 35/1.4 is pretty close in some ways, so I'd say keep all your existing lenses, and if you really want 28 mm, go for the smaller aperture siblings.

Frankly if you haven't used and become comfortable with the 28 focal length, you shouldn't buy the most expensive glass. Also f/1.4 is not something you will take pictures at most of the time, unless you follow the 'vampire' clock.

Edited by rramesh

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.....

With that being said, if you want the 28/1.4 Summilux, after considering your shooting objectives for the 28 Summilux, especially after considering the super sharp and perfect 28 Summicron ASPH and the super compact and sharp 28 Elmarit-M ASPH, by all means, get it.

I have the older 28 Elmarit-M and love the reportage style angle of view of the 28 and the slightly muted colors and slightly lower contrast nature of the lens - like looking at old newspaper photographs - so much so that I have not gotten the newer, sharper super compact 28 Elmarit-M ASPH - especially since I usually leave it at f5.6 to f8.0 and zone focus everything from 2 meters to infinity with the higher iso capabilities (iso1000-2000) of my MP240 and use what little time I have to try to frame the composition or avoid bumping into or tripping over something when I am walking in from 3-4 meters away or walking backwards from 1 meter up close (2-3 steps away from the minimum 2 meter focus mark).

Interestingly, I only have one 28mm lens, the older version 28 Elmarit-M that I bought new in 1994, even though I use this focal length just as often as the 35 and 50 focal lengths, which I have way too many versions of.  I think it is because I have always consider my trusty 28 Elmarit-M as my tool lens, as oppose to the other lenses, that I consider as my artisanal lenses. 

But, as I said, those who live in glass (lens) houses should not throw stones.

Cheers.

By the way the 28 Summicron has the best lab performance (MTF's) of any Leica lens below 50mm, if the APO hadn't been introduced it would be king on paper up to 75mm. In practice it is superb, not too big, smooth action, nice bokeh, great with colour and stunning clarity. If the larger Summilux had come first and the Summicron was just out the question would be should I swap my Summilux for the summicron !

Agree, the longing for selective focus and undepth of field can also grow towards a fetish, like in all Summiluxes equal and below 28, IMO. Summilux 24 and 21 for that prices? Sorry I don't really get it. Have not seen the bo-keh of the new Summilux very special, except that it's a new lens/angle. It's a bit like Summaron 35. 

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to sell my 90/2 which is my least used focal length. I plan to use the proceeds from that sale and some camera bags to purchase a Zeiss Batis 25/2 and Sony A7s or A7sII. I still don't know if I will purchase the 28/1.4, but having access to both a 25mm and 35mm will allow me to better evaluate the need. 

Edited by KanzaKruzer

I've decided to sell my 90/2 which is my least used focal length. I plan to use the proceeds from that sale and some camera bags to purchase a Zeiss Batis 25/2 and Sony A7s or A7sII. I still don't know if I will purchase the 28/1.4, but having access to both a 25mm and 35mm will allow me to better evaluate the need. 

Using the Batis 25/2 will also help me evaluate whether I should consider the 28mm summilux or summicron. In any case I will use a wide angle much more than my 90/2 which is for sale on on FM.