The Summilux-M 28mm f/1.4 has upset my existing lens kit.

KanzaKruzer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sure you'll regret selling Leica lenses, that is in 9 out 10 times the case. So it would be better to try your luck on the roulette table than selling, maybe some Chinese friend can help out with a good strategy there. I once acquired a Contax in that way, I could not repeat it alas

KanzKruzer, what strikes me is that you sold your 28mm with your DSLR kit for a 35mm, so I'm not sure why you think you would be happy with 28mm as a focal length at the expense of selling another lens. 28mm used to me one of my favourite lenses with my DSLR, yet on a Leica I found myself more attracted to the 35mm than 28mm, and I hardly use the 28mm anymore. I'm sure the 28mm Summilux is a wonderful lens, but would you really go out and shoot both the 28mm and the 35mm at the same time?

• Like 1

Pick up a book of relevant and groundbreaking photography and notice that things like aperture and gear are not even mentioned. Then notice that the photographer used any parameters needed to get the photograph he visualized. Including small or large aperture to obtain the separation or lack thereof needed.

why? I don't see how this has any relevance. at best it's a misunderstanding at worst a deliberate red herring 

KanzKruzer, what strikes me is that you sold your 28mm with your DSLR kit for a 35mm, so I'm not sure why you think you would be happy with 28mm as a focal length at the expense of selling another lens. 28mm used to me one of my favourite lenses with my DSLR, yet on a Leica I found myself more attracted to the 35mm than 28mm, and I hardly use the 28mm anymore. I'm sure the 28mm Summilux is a wonderful lens, but would you really go out and shoot both the 28mm and the 35mm at the same time?

Actually I sold a 28/2 and 35/2 to fund a 35/1.4 on my DSLR kit for better DOF and low light performance. It was also a cost issue. The 35mm on my DSLR was my most used focal length and the 50mm was my least used focal length. When I switched to a rangefinder, the 50mm moved from the bottom of the list to the top. The 35mm follows closely behind in second place, but I suspect I would have chosen a 3 lens kit 28/1.4, 35/1.4 and 50/2 if the new 28/1.4 would have been available when I set up my lens kit. It just would have been more logical to either carry the 35/1.4 by itself or the 28/1.4 and 50/2 as a pair.

The 28/1.4 still has a wider DOF than the 35/1.4, but it better meets my needs than a 28/2….

​……..

If I decide the current four lens kit meets my needs, I may try to pick up a second body which would allow me to switch focal lengths faster and increase my usage of all four focal lengths.

On the first point, you could always rent the Summilux   http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/leica/lenses/wide-angle/leica-28mm-f1.4-summilux-m-asph  (even along with the Summicron or Elmarit) to better gauge whether your needs are really better met with the marginally faster, bigger and more expensive lens.  

I've found that while two bodies can theoretically speed things up and better facilitate use of two lenses, it can also slow things down by juggling two cameras at a time instead of nimbly, and more discreetly, using a single body and pocketing a small second lens if desired.  I'd think otherwise if I were shooting a wedding or on a sandy beach, but for me, less is generally more.   Different strokes...

Jeff

• Like 3

I'm Leica's worst nightmare, a guy who hasn't bought a Leica lens in at least 10 years and is perfectly satisfied with the one's I've got.

Wait, I take that back, I bought a 70-210/R lens, for about what Leica charges for a lens hood nowadays.

Edited by bocaburger
  • Like 2

I have in the past looked at my favourite photography shots to see how many have been with a shallow or deep DOF and it didn't tell me that much to be honest, only that perhaps I should try more with a greater DOF. I rarely go above f8 and tend to be between wide open and f4 most of the the time, just preference and familiarity I suspect.

Ironically I did really like one image of fish taken wide open with a Noctilux ( red snapper not herring !). The reason I mention is you may use a narrower apertures or prefer this look more often, in which case the larger more expensive Summilux may not be the best choice ?

• Like 1

The 28mm 'lux is not that fat - it has a 49mm filter thread.  Regarding weight, it weighs in at 15.5 oz/440 g.  By way of comparison, the 50mm 'lux ASPH (#11891) takes a 46mm filter and weighs in at 11.8 oz/335 g. 

Both are a little heavy by Leica M standards, but neither lens is by any stretch like having an anvil (or an 0.95 Noctilux) attached to your M.

• Like 1

I vote for the 28 cron. I have found it to have great low light performance and I find Bokeh with wide lenses is kind of a non issue.

I just love how this lens renders. The only change I made was switching out the 28 hood for a 35 lux hood.

A keeper for me and no real interest in 28 lux.

Whatever you decide....Happy Shooting :)

• Like 3

28 cron perfect used can be had now for 2500 usd easy.

It's the best 28 in the world, till this new 7k monster. It's the last lens I would sell. Forget the Lux till you prove to love 28 LOL.

of course the cron does bokeh, and it's fine.

18974399578_a296838790_b.jpg

L1034261 by unoh7, on Flickr

• Like 3

On the first point, you could always rent the Summilux   http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/leica/lenses/wide-angle/leica-28mm-f1.4-summilux-m-asph  (even along with the Summicron or Elmarit) to better gauge whether your needs are really better met with the marginally faster, bigger and more expensive lens.  

I've found that while two bodies can theoretically speed things up and better facilitate use of two lenses, it can also slow things down by juggling two cameras at a time instead of nimbly, and more discreetly, using a single body and pocketing a small second lens if desired.  I'd think otherwise if I were shooting a wedding or on a sandy beach, but for me, less is generally more.   Different strokes...

Jeff

The thought of a second body only came into play when the Leica Q was introduced with its improved EVF. It may be a precurser of an interchangeable lens M with an electronic viewfinder. I would use the M 240 with the 35 and 50 mm and the MQ body and EVF with the 21 and 90mm. Just a passing fancy, since I am not fond of the EVF attached to the flash mount of the 240 and prefer the OVF rangefinder with the 35 and 50mm focal lengths. Bottom line I have settled down since I first posted my quandry and am ok with using my existing lens kit for a couple more years without adding the 28/1.4. I would probably follow your suggestion and rent the 28/1.4 and I can also borrow a 28/2 from a friend if the urge occurs again to better test my needs.

Edited by KanzaKruzer
  • Like 1

Three thoughts for the OP to consider -

1:   Keep the lenses that you already have - nothing went wrong with them when Leica dropped the 28 Summilux on the market.

2:   If money is not an issue, buy the 28 Summilux to go with your existing kit. 

3:   Less weight to carry is always a good goal; you don't have to always carry all your kit when you go out shooting.  Take a couple of lenses that will do what you want to do that day and leave the rest at home.

That would be my approach.

• Like 2

By the way the 28 Summicron has the best lab performance (MTF's) of any Leica lens below 50mm, if the APO hadn't been introduced it would be king on paper up to 75mm. In practice it is superb, not too big, smooth action, nice bokeh, great with colour and stunning clarity. If the larger Summilux had come first and the Summicron was just out the question would be should I swap my Summilux for the summicron !

• Like 5