28mm focal length, but what is the actual field of view after lens correction?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The image format is said to be 24x36mm. The image delivered by the camera is said to hold 6000x4000px. The sensor is said to hold 26.3MP.

That's what I read as well.

However, for what it's worth the uncorrected RAW image (as opened in RawTherapee) has 6008 x 4008 pixels. The JPG and corrected image have 6000 x 4000

• Like 1

could be ........ but the LR crop, dng and jpg, match the C1 jpg pic in terms of the borders. just saying that in this raw translation, no official C1 release yet for the Q, perhaps C1 is picking the actual wider FOv suggested by many -- the lens is really 24mm or 25mm

No, the uncorrected image is NOT 24mm or 25mm. Its only about 5% different than the final image.

If you are seeing the uncorrected image in C1, it should be obvious. The edges are distorted and the corners are vignetted. Look at the first image in this thread...is that what you are seeing? Why don't you use LR?

All looks fine to me. And I prefer C1 it is better at raw conversion and I am used to it

In Capture One when you choose the crop for a Q DNG, you can actually see the full (?) 6491 x 4110 image without the dark corners.. Is it the case that Capture one applies corrections but also keeps the full size of the uncorrected image?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting new article by Sean Reid about the Q lens correction on his (subscription) site.

Great article! I wish he would eliminate his silly format which does nothing but punish his subscribers. If someone wants to steal his words, they will do it. His methods to protect his articles only punish those who pay for the privilege to read his excellent technical articles.

To summarize a few points, 

The lens is a 28mm even uncorrected

There is a loss of resolution in corners due to the correction, but its minimal

Its one of the best cameras of this type that he has tested

The full article is worth the read.

Edited by digitalfx

Great article! I wish he would eliminate his silly format which does nothing but punish his subscribers. If someone wants to steal his words, they will do it. His methods to protect his articles only punish those who pay for the privilege to read his excellent technical articles.

And don't you just hate the way trying to scroll down for texts and everything jumps up or down, or doesn't seem to want to do either?  :(

• Like 1

And don't you just hate the way trying to scroll down for texts and everything jumps up or down, or doesn't seem to want to do either?  :(

Yes, its very strange that we pay for this. Ive cancelled my subscription several times over the years strictly because of the format. Unfortunately I keep coming back. I wish he would give his subscribers a worthy format and trust that they won't steal it.

Its one of the best cameras of this type that he has tested

If you feel revealing the comparison group is not infringing on the guy's intellectual property, I would be quite interested in hearing what are the other cameras of this type (especially those also among the best of them).

If you feel revealing the comparison group is not infringing on the guy's intellectual property, I would be quite interested in hearing what are the other cameras of this type (especially those also among the best of them).

He didn't specify, but he has tested most everything and said something to the effect of...the Q is one of the best EFC's Ive tested. Its a very thorough review, highly technical and has very little bad to say about the Q. It covers the details of how and why Leica chose software correction and the results. Worth the cost of admission to read if you can handle the format.

• 6 years later...