M8 vs B&W film - examples

tashley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Isn't it directly implied that any statement of preference one way or the other is an opinion of the viewer?

Cold hard facts? People have been arguing art forever .... so basic even a caveman can do it : -)

Heck, I'll be glad to stop beating around the bush ...

In my opinion, strictly concerning the aesthetic qualities, not the content, I more than prefer B&W film over B&W digital conversions. So if someone makes a empirical pronouncement to the contrary, I'll state a counter opinion ... just like you do Guy .... except, I stop short of calling your opinion BS.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

I did not say his opinion was BS read it again but the statement is . That statement is not fact and that was what I was saying. You can't just saying that as fact Art is Art and it is whatever one wants o view it as . i love film no question that is not what i am saying and i would be the last person to pick a side. i really don't care , i have to shoot what i shoot and that is not really my choice. Please do not read into it any more than what is there . You like film , happy for you. Does not mean i have too or do

Guest stnami
I did not say his opinion was BS
of course no Guy you said that it was
Sorry i would say that is absolute BS
as they say blink and remember

Tim,

sounds like a good idea to buy an MP! I'm waiting for mine to arrive next week...

Have an inspiring look at this long thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/film-forum/8842-i-love-my-mp.html

It's so nice and quite in the Filmforum. Not as hectic as this place.

There's also a lot of good advice on all the different b/w films that are out there at the moment.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Peter - a holiday somewhere pleasant sounds very nice. Film forum here I come. As soon as I can find a puce Moc Croc MP a la carte to impress everyone with...

:D

Tim

Guest guy_mancuso

Your reading it wrong Imants simply as that. Again you read into things that are not there so be it and that is okay. But it was not intended as it sounds, sorry if you misunderstood. Just the way i write sometimes

Thanks Peter - a holiday somewhere pleasant sounds very nice. Film forum here I come. As soon as I can find a puce Moc Croc MP a la carte to impress everyone with...

:D

Tim

Would you like me to butter up our mutual dealer and persuade him to sell you his red one?

I'm sure it can be managed

:p

Don't know what I fell for TIm but evidently you have worked that out already so it's a non issue???

I think you rarely fall for anything. Being a person of your own opinion and uninterested in what others want you to think is (one of) your strength(s). All I meant was that somewhere above you said:

"Marc is pretty much as well spot on with his observations and notions on the initial presentation by TIm"

And that this seems (though there is scope for ambiguity) to support the notion that I started the whole sorry show with a preference. Which I hope we can all agree I did not, 'cos I did not and nor did I ever say anything to state or even imply that I did.

I thank you for your tips on choice of film. I like the idea that anything will do.

EDIT: am now going to check out the one-eyed film maniac. What happened to his other eye?

Best

Tim

Tim,

Here's my first impression <<"without">> reading your thread.

Contax, Canon, M8 jpg, M8 Raw...

What the f@#k is this.

Geez!!! you sure suck on film!!!

Man... you really ought to be shooting an M8!

I'm sure you'll do a lot better with a Funai 1.2mp than film. :D

Lol

But I see what you're saying after reading you first post..

It's about a bad film camera and your neice going to photo class.

Enjoyable thread Tim!

I check it out every hour at work. :D

Best,

-Ron

Tim,

Here's my first impression <<"without">> reading your thread.

Contax, Canon, M8 jpg, M8 Raw...

What the f@#k is this.

Geez!!! you sure suck on film!!!

Man... you really ought to be shooting an M8!

I'm sure you'll do a lot better with a Funai 1.2mp than film. :D

Lol

But I see what you're saying after reading you first post..

It's about a bad film camera and your neice going to photo class.

Enjoyable thread Tim!

I check it out every hour at work. :D

Best,

-Ron

Thank you Ron

It is only ever my aim to provide enjoyment!

And you are so right: my poor niece's needs (and I believe that children are our future, etc etc) got lost in all this. Should I give her the Canon or the M8? Let the jury decide...

Best

Tim

Guest stnami

TIm I am sticking with Miss Ambiguity, no matter what even if I have to carry a bucket of water over the canefields in a foot of snow.

but we have this.......

Your reading it wrong Imants simply as that.

...................... this has been said before and will continue to be said unabated,...:)

As for any film will do you do run the risk of getting a dud, and spending your time loony snapping. A day of carefull exposure and waiting for the moment, then the results, a friggin mess. Doing stuff apeture priority carefull readings are not big with me, but the bonus is sometimes there is a little wierd gem sitting in the roll

TIm I am sticking with Miss Ambiguity, no matter what even if I have to carry a bucket of water over the canefields in a foot of snow.

but we have this.......

...................... this has been said before and will continue to be said unabated,...:)

As for any film will do you do run the risk of getting a dud, and spending your time loony snapping. A day of carefull exposure and waiting for the moment, then the results, a friggin mess. Doing stuff apeture priority carefull readings are not big with me, but the bonus is sometimes there is a little wierd gem sitting in the roll

Well, you know that l'ill missy will cheat on you... but better to get some excitement I guess...

The thing that depresses me is that when I was 16 (and tomorrow I will post a shot that sums it up) and shooting cruddy gear then developing the film in stuff you could have put on your chips, I got more gems than I do these days. These days, where 'film' is infinite, I get a reliable 5% of keepers and these are by no means all gems.

But in those days (and you should have seen me trying to get the colours right when I moved on to developing my own Cibachromes) every shot was a thrill.

And dumb git that I am, I imagine that it will be the same way when I try film again on something other than a summer house with a pond in front.

Ever hopefully yours,

t

Would you like me to butter up our mutual dealer and persuade him to sell you his red one?

I'm sure it can be managed

:p

Jono, if only he could sell it but it's part of a Dealer Display Kit and so he is not at liberty to let me have it. Now if I see something a la carte available off the peg, I'll snap it up: but I refuse to order one in advance. That would be tacky not to mention expensive.

best

t

Guest stnami

All the digital courses I set up have a film component in them, kid's still go wow and there is still that is it gonna get ther feeling looking at the negs for the first time.

These days, where 'film' is infinite, I get a reliable 5% of keepers and these are by no means all gems.
... I reckon that the trick is not to see the images as being precious but of immediate importance

You guys are all coming out of a winter and there are still fog patches in the brain bucket section of anatomy.......... as for us in another long hot dry brainfrie summer has closed it's doors, but the dry remains........

Thank you Ron

It is only ever my aim to provide enjoyment!

And you are so right: my poor niece's needs (and I believe that children are our future, etc etc) got lost in all this. Should I give her the Canon or the M8? Let the jury decide...

Best

Tim

Hey Tim,

I-Camera should give you, Marc and Tsunami :D some endorsement for this thread.

Just look at all the hits their sponsors are getting!

LOL!!!

As for your neice, get her an M2 or M3 for class to strengthen her foundation.

Then reward her an M8 after she graduate.

Now let me go back playing with my film and digital leica's.

-Ron

Argento, a division of Metro in London has modified a Lambda printer so that they can image to silver bromide papers. They call them digital bromides.

Metro Imaging - Digital bromides

So if you are finding the blacks in your B+W inkjets lacking you can get traditional B+W prints imaged with a laser (or maybe it's LED's). I'd be very curious to see one.

Been busy shooting! So I missed this too :) Glad I did!

Hey Tim, I want to talk to you about processing some BWs--but can't send you a PM (can't imagine why you turned that off ;))

Drop me a line at my site and I'll get back to you.

As for BW film, the thing I miss the most is the extended dynamic range. Period. Three or four extra stops to print with (not to scan with) is really what still makes me all blurry when I see, oh, almost any exhibit by someone who knows how to print.

Having said that, there are plenty of HDR techniques for digital, and they're just as cumbersome as the zone system was on film but, I suppose, a lot less messy :)

And there are plenty of ways to add randomness, grain and ambiguity to the BW files. But you mostly won't get them out of the camera (though at ISO 1250 and 2500, I do like the grain of the M8 for BW, even if it doesn't look like BW film).

The final point here is that printing technology is changing all the time. While I still prefer, ultimately, the look of optical wet prints from a negative, the last new surface papers and RIP printing I've seen from Ilford, MOAB and others is outstanding--quite breathtaking. There's even the newest Cone edition stuff that, married with the right paper, is getting very darned good (though I like K3 blacks better).

I fully suspect Durst or someone else to further improve the digital / optical interface as well, so I fully expect the BWs I make in a year or two to really have the look of BW fiber prints. Certainly Lambdas look pretty freaking good with the amount of silver in the process, and the fine-art digital-fiber based stuff I've seen from Durst Thetas is also, well, better than a lot of darkroom stuff I messed up, that's for sure :)

EDIT--what the heck, here's an image crop actually never meant for the web, but prepped for print (cropped so you can at least see some grain).

It's taken with a 1960s era Summicron R, and then tone-curve processed for an Ilford-esque look. Meant for wet printing from a Durst Lambda; believe me the print looks very good indeed and truly not far from (though not the same as) a negative print.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!