Q rear screen fragile and clicks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well it appears that Leica see it as a problem, but if you don't and you're happy with a faulty camera then good for you, but there's no need to criticise others for not being happy to accept a £3k faulty camera.

I've yet to hear confirmation that this is a 'fault' ......

In fact if the clicking is due to the flexible back cover catching against the aperture edge it fits in ...... and possibly varies and is worse after the camera warms up and things expand ..... then the 'silent' cameras all probably have exactly the same 'fault' but in their case it is inaudible......  :rolleyes:

The fact that part of the rear screen cover is flexible .... and it would have to be pretty thick not to be ...... is not indicative of a design or assembly fault.

Leica are obviously going to take any complaints about new products seriously in view of previous problems ... and replace cameras to keep customers happy where necessary (algrove appears to have had dozens of M240's) , but that is not indicative of a genuine serious issue. 

If this is a significant assembly or design issue then Leica will have to recall ALL Leica Q's. 

Unless Leica tell me this is detrimental to the longevity or function of the camera I am keeping mine, whatever and whenever they offer to do ...... if ever, that is ....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

I've yet to hear confirmation that this is a 'fault' ......

In fact if the clicking is due to the flexible back cover catching against the aperture edge it fits in ...... and possibly varies and is worse after the camera warms up and things expand ..... then the 'silent' cameras all probably have exactly the same 'fault' but in their case it is inaudible......  :rolleyes:

The fact that part of the rear screen cover is flexible .... and it would have to be pretty thick not to be ...... is not indicative of a design or assembly fault.

Leica are obviously going to take any complaints about new products seriously in view of previous problems ... and replace cameras to keep customers happy where necessary (algrove appears to have had dozens of M240's) , but that is not indicative of a genuine serious issue. 

If this is a significant assembly or design issue then Leica will have to recall ALL Leica Q's. 

Unless Leica tell me this is detrimental to the longevity or function of the camera I am keeping mine, whatever and whenever they offer to do ...... if ever, that is ....

I repeat: Leica sent me an email where they speak about a CLICK PROBLEM and that they finally fix it definitely and, moreover, the next (fourth) camera they're sending to me will be perfect and without any issue.

just winding you up Michele ....... knew you would reply .....  :D

There is clearly a gap behind this bit of the screen which allows the cover to flex ...... no doubt they will fill it with something to stop it happening. 

Still not convinced it's a 'fault' though ...... :rolleyes:

You will soon exceed algroves record of replacements of new Leica cameras ...... let's hope this one is ok .....

• Like 2

Still not convinced it's a 'fault' though ...... :rolleyes:

agree

I repeat: ... the next (fourth) camera they're sending to me will be perfect and without any issue.

and what if its not "perfect"? a fifth Q?

Edited by digitalfx

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm on my second after the first had the clicking problem with also some system freezing.  Replacement has been fine, lugged it around the countryside for a week, plenty of use, no clicking.  However, this morning, also from cold, the evf displayed some very weird vertical random white lines (only visible in the evf) whilst using manual focus and then it froze on the image. I had to remove the battery.  A few seconds later it froze again but has been fine since.  Similair to your electronic problem?  I have a feeling this second one will also be on the way back.

I mean this kind of problem: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3861357

Anyway... the fourth has similar click issues and now my new FIFTH Q received last week starts to click again and again. I'm speechless. Think to keep this one and look forward to use it to photograph as usual but, ideally, I'm not so happy with Leica quality on this model. I have had several Ms, anyone with its issues but this is really annoying.

Michele

In my opinion, the click is more like a squeak caused by the Screen assembly rubbing against the edge of the opening.  I'd rather it flex and squeak than break and therefore it doesn't bother me.  The fact that it happens on so many is proof that Leica is manufacturing parts to a consistent size, hence the click/squeak isn't going to disappear and you have to accept it or look for something else if you find it so irritating.  Saying that, I've stopped noticing it because I don't access the left side of the touch display very often. In fact, it may already have stopped.    I suspect that after some time the noisy edge of the screen assembly will wear down sufficiently and the noise will disappear.

the Canon 5D had a similar problem with its battery compartment cover.  

if it is a deal stopper, why not say so?  And move on to some other model.  The camera is excellent and its performance isn't in the slightest way affected.  I'm pretty sure that each  of the bodies you've had are no different to the ones we are receiving.  

Edited by lucerne

Agree with Lucerne, for your own sanity - either accept this quirk and enjoy the camera or move on to a different model. After 5 models you'd think you'd realise it is clearly just how they are being made, you are getting the same camera that plenty of other people are actually using to take pictures rather than using it as a $4k alternative to popping bubble wrap. You're also preventing others from getting their camera because Leica are having to send you replacements for your "broken" one.

It's not really a proper fault anyway since it doesn't actually affect usage and the amount of moaning about it is quite ridiculous.

I was invited to a Leica Q presentation in Prague which took place yesterday/today and I showed my clicking display issue to the Leica representative. We have found out, that out of 8 Q's he had with him about 3 had the same clicking problem and he was very surprised about this issue. He definitely confirmed, that it is an issue and could be a problem for a dust in the long run. He to my suppress offered me to take my Leica with him to Germany and said that it will be fixed and send back to me shortly. It looks like that they were not aware of such a problem, on the other hand  they were very very eager to hear our feedback on the camera,

On the positive sid e of things . . .  (and probably for a different thread) - DNG only is planned for next FW update and they are also aware that many users do want to have Manu. exposure in Video mode so Leica is listening  . . . also some new camera is planned for Autumn . . full frame and its not a M. 

RX1 alternative?

Some customers are insatiable, and Leica's patience must surely be tested in this situation.

No. Some customers simply pretend to get what they pay for. I asked for a fix and they only sent to me Qs again and again, while known perfectly that it is a design flaw and that I never can't reach a perfect Q with this method.

Michele

In my opinion, the click is more like a squeak caused by the Screen assembly rubbing against the edge of the opening.  I'd rather it flex and squeak than break and therefore it doesn't bother me.  The fact that it happens on so many is proof that Leica is manufacturing parts to a consistent size, hence the click/squeak isn't going to disappear and you have to accept it or look for something else if you find it so irritating.  Saying that, I've stopped noticing it because I don't access the left side of the touch display very often. In fact, it may already have stopped.    I suspect that after some time the noisy edge of the screen assembly will wear down sufficiently and the noise will disappear.

the Canon 5D had a similar problem with its battery compartment cover.  

if it is a deal stopper, why not say so?  And move on to some other model.  The camera is excellent and its performance isn't in the slightest way affected.  I'm pretty sure that each  of the bodies you've had are no different to the ones we are receiving.  

I agree, the camera is excellent but when you read people that own perfect Qs, I ask myself why after five of them I still have a bad clicking LCD. It feels crappy and I paid 4000 Euro (and they didn't click).