Q rear screen fragile and clicks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can understand that it is annoying and if mine 'clicked' I would have been concerned and upset at first but as it would seem that this 'issue' actually makes no difference to the cameras operation I would try to just get over it and enjoy it for the great tool it is. In the long run if the clicking does indeed turn out to be a problem with dust getting in or something then I am sure Leica will sort it out for you.

• Like 1

It's a bit like a new car delivered with a scratch, or something loose behind the dashboard - neither make any difference to the actual operation of the car, but most people find it annoying.

So to dismiss it by saying 'it doesn't affect the pictures' may be correct, but it's not really the point IMHO. It's another example of the poor quality control issues that seem to be hampering Leica recently. 

Every camera returned is damaging their profit line.

• Like 1

I agree, the camera is excellent but when you read people that own perfect Qs, I ask myself why after five of them I still have a bad clicking LCD. It feels crappy and I paid 4000 Euro (and they didn't click).

Mine had the same problem. It had to sent it to Wetzlar and they fixed the issues by repairing it instead of sending a new model to me. 

Now, since three weeks, there is no noise if I touch the screen.

• Like 1

Mine had the same problem. It had to sent it to Wetzlar and they fixed the issues by repairing it instead of sending a new model to me. 

Now, since three weeks, there is no noise if I touch the screen.

You are a lucky guy. I've asked to repair mine but they continue to send me new ones without success...

You are a lucky guy. I've asked to repair mine but they continue to send me new ones without success...

I contacted directly Leica Germany via email and they offered only the repair option :-). First they said that the back part, including the display, will be exchanged by they did not do this. Instead they repaired the screen clicking. I had a screen protector applied and the repaired Q came back with this installed protector. I assume they glued the screen with the back part.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a result of my posts on this thread Leica have sent me several emails encouraging me to send the camera for repair .......

...... but as the clicking is non-existent unless you specifically press a part of the screen you never use it seems completely pointless sending them a perfectly functional camera that I have no complaint about.

Until somebody tells me it lets in water, results in screen malfunctions or leads to breakage I am keeping it as it is. 

I'm frankly surprised this entirely pointless thread is still going .......

As a result of my posts on this thread Leica have sent me several emails encouraging me to send the camera for repair .......

...... but as the clicking is non-existent unless you specifically press a part of the screen you never use it seems completely pointless sending them a perfectly functional camera that I have no complaint about.

Until somebody tells me it lets in water, results in screen malfunctions or leads to breakage I am keeping it as it is. 

I'm frankly surprised this entirely pointless thread is still going .......

Delighted for you and your faulty camera. Don't look at the thread if it's not of interest though. 

• Like 1

...so what's the consensus? I have a control issue (I think) as well as the clicky screen. Repair or require replacement?

My thinking with Leica is that unlike a Japanese manufacturer, given the abysmal QC at Wetzlar a repair's going to be only as bad as new build quality and even has a chance of being better...? I've had my fair share of lemons but thinking about it I haven't actually had anything (non-Panasonic) Leica needing repair <2 months in - it's usually been >6 months before bits start dropping off or going wrong.

Edited by wacka

Great to hear you've come to terms with the clicking issue. Thanks for proving that the clicking sound is a "feature" of this camera.  Your efforts were not in vain!!

I agree, the camera is excellent but when you read people that own perfect Qs, I ask myself why after five of them I still have a bad clicking LCD. It feels crappy and I paid 4000 Euro (and they didn't click).

Part of the reason the camera cost 4000 Euro is because there are quite a few people who return a product 4-6 times expecting perfection. Nothing created by humans will ever be perfect, we are all paying an added price for every retail item purchased because a few insist on returning items way too many times. Personally I would rather enjoy my camera than deal with the stress of returning it 5 times because the screen clicks. I was the first to report the issue on this forum...and it hasn't stopped my from using and enjoying my camera...I have honestly forgot the issue existed until I came back to this forum to check if there was a fw update. Leica contacted me about the video I posted a while back, but I have no desire to return my camera for such a silly issue which quite frankly is not even noticeable in normal use. Flame away, but I think its nonsense to return a product 5 times.

• Like 1

Part of the reason the camera cost 4000 Euro is because there are quite a few people who return a product 4-6 times expecting perfection. Nothing created by humans will ever be perfect, we are all paying an added price for every retail item purchased because a few insist on returning items way too many times. Personally I would rather enjoy my camera than deal with the stress of returning it 5 times because the screen clicks. I was the first to report the issue on this forum...and it hasn't stopped my from using and enjoying my camera...I have honestly forgot the issue existed until I came back to this forum to check if there was a fw update. Leica contacted me about the video I posted a while back, but I have no desire to return my camera for such a silly issue which quite frankly is not even noticeable in normal use. Flame away, but I think its nonsense to return a product 5 times.

I love these comments which are on a par with the 'Leica has magic sensors' thread I posted in earlier.

100% of the Japanese makers prove that you can receive an issue-free camera most of the time.

I don't flame anyone and I agree with you about change it five times. But from my point of you, as a customer, who receive FIVE faulty cameras. Unacceptable.

Great to hear you've come to terms with the clicking issue. Thanks for proving that the clicking sound is a "feature" of this camera.  Your efforts were not in vain!!

A feature of camera? Well so it need to be present in every camera, in the same zone, with same sound at the same pressure. Sadly I owned five cameras with different sounds at different pressure in different point of the screen. And many people out there get perfect cameras without any weird sound coming from the rear LCD.

Seems like you fear to admit yourself to have a faulty camera... It's not the end of the world but it need to be fixed because 4000 Euros, usually, aren't faulty.

Edited by Michele Belloni

You really think that Leica builds their own LCDs??! Without doubt they are as unhappy about this as some owners are...

I have no problem at all with Leica's build quality. My cameras have taken anything I have thrown at them without complaint; And that was more than is reasonable.

• Like 1

If only people adopted your attitude in the 70's and 80's, we'd still have a really large car industry in the UK! What a shame that too many people weren't willing to put up with shoddy workmanship.

• Like 2

Oh brother. You are familiar with Leica build QC, right? This hasn't got anything to do with the suppliers.

I think Jaap is right - Leica will be buying in the LCD components from a far east supplier and it may well be an issue with the tolerances in whoever's manufacturing, rather than specifically Leica's fault. But of course Leica will take the blame and have to appease the customers.

• Like 1