Q rear screen fragile and clicks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The screens are fragile.  I was able to get a screen protector from Kenko (use the one for the Panasonic GF3).  I had a similar result.  The outward appearance is fine.  The LCD crystal can damage very easy.  Just be very careful.  It's a stress fracture.  Probably the LCD is attached directly to the body with no shock absorbing material around the screen.

The screens are fragile.  I was able to get a screen protector from Kenko (use the one for the Panasonic GF3).  I had a similar result.  The outward appearance is fine.  The LCD crystal can damage very easy.  Just be very careful.  It's a stress fracture.  Probably the LCD is attached directly to the body with no shock absorbing material around the screen.

Don't really understand your post. Are you saying yours has broken as well or just that you have added a screen protector. If this issue is stress related I should imagine a screen protector will make no difference

• Like 1

Andrea Frankl was dealing with me by email when I was in Burgundy. However, she is now away on leave.

I heard from Ursula Brand-Gerheim on Tuesday asking what had been arranged (seems it didn't get handed over that well), and I replied on Wednesday early in the morning, with Jakob Eberhard and Birgitta Mielke copied. I have had no reply on Wednesday and no reply on Thursday, despite an email chasing.

(Perhaps I have been working in the pressured Hong Kong environment too long!).

Nothing to panic about just yet, but I am concerned that I haven't heard back Wednesday or Thursday to get a solution in motion. With a 17th July solution deadline, I'm feeling nervous at the silence.

All this to say, does anyone have another senior contact at Leica Wetzlar I can copy in at the end of today if I don't hear anything during the course of today please? Thanks to those of you who provided contacts already.

Thanks,

Linden

I have had this problem as well when dealing with Leica over the summer and staff go on holiday, it can get frustrating. I would suggest a phone call might help as they all speak excellent English. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But your Q60 was lighter than your M60!

On way to Wetzlar now for afternoon visit. I have my Quasilux in the bag.

Lloyd Chambers' Q review was typically distorted against Leica, but he presented rather concerning evidence of why the Quasilux is a very far step away from M glass!

• Like 1

But your Q60 was lighter than your M60!

On way to Wetzlar now for afternoon visit. I have my Quasilux in the bag.

Lloyd Chambers' Q review was typically distorted against Leica, but he presented rather concerning evidence of why the Quasilux is a very far step away from M glass!

...and unique! ;-)

Have fun at Wetzlar. I may get a short window of time to sneak over when visiting the Mosel in September. Let's see...

I haven't read Lloyd Chambers' review yet. I guess we have the luxury of seeing with our own eyes if we like the results. To my eyes looking at the files I got back from the Burgundy were certainly 'good enough' for me. More a case of me learning the camera and getting the most out of it (i.e. user limitations rather than hardware / glass limitations!). 

Quasilux! ;-) you should put "TM" after that. :-)

ditto top left  ...... but it seems to be just due to minimal flexing against the edge where it is recessed in .... and to a lesser extent top right as well.

not at all noticeable in normal usage and I suspect of no consequence .......but basically JUST DON'T DO IT .... as you are tempting fate and no doubt tragedy will ensue. 

I was invited to a Leica Q presentation in Prague which took place yesterday/today and I showed my clicking display issue to the Leica representative. We have found out, that out of 8 Q's he had with him about 3 had the same clicking problem and he was very surprised about this issue. He definitely confirmed, that it is an issue and could be a problem for a dust in the long run. He to my suppress offered me to take my Leica with him to Germany and said that it will be fixed and send back to me shortly. It looks like that they were not aware of such a problem, on the other hand  they were very very eager to hear our feedback on the camera,

On the positive sid e of things . . .  (and probably for a different thread) - DNG only is planned for next FW update and they are also aware that many users do want to have Manu. exposure in Video mode so Leica is listening  . . . also some new camera is planned for Autumn . . full frame and its not a M. 

dust problem for a small click here and there? Ok that this is not tropicalized but this is pure craziness to my ears. I mean that it is impossible that for a light click of the rear LCD a sensor or a whole camera can get dust problems. Don't you think? Moreover visually it is in perfect conditions... it's not out of its place or something like this.

It is perfectly sensible for Leica to be concerned about dust.  That small clicking means movement of the cover.  Movement will alternately create pressure followed by a vacuum.  That vacuum will pull in dust particles which now have an entry into the camera body and as the dust accumulates  it can be further distributed onto the sensor and into the lens so they are right in being concerned.  Better to solve the problem when a little adhesive is all it takes that have to dismantle and clean camera down the road.

• Like 1

It is perfectly sensible for Leica to be concerned about dust.  That small clicking means movement of the cover.  Movement will alternately create pressure followed by a vacuum.  That vacuum will pull in dust particles which now have an entry into the camera body and as the dust accumulates  it can be further distributed onto the sensor and into the lens so they are right in being concerned.  Better to solve the problem when a little adhesive is all it takes that have to dismantle and clean camera down the road.

wow...this is a bit extreme!

The chance of dust reaching the sensor and lens from this is highly unlikely if not impossible. I believe this is just a cover piece.

barjohn, do you even have a Q??

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

We need to stay with feet on floor. A bit of clicking on a rear plastic LCD can't produce dust problems on a serious -4000$- camera like this. It sounds like you bought a crappy camera and Leica, I know for sure, can't do shit like this.

I am not forcing or care if anyone is to be concerned. I am just passing on my experience and information I have. At first it was no issue for me but got to say, when there was a chance to talk to a guy from Leica in person, I did asked and was overwhelmed with his immediate reaction and help. He even called to Wetzlar to somebody about this right after I showed him the issue. He looked very surprised about this and start to play with his 8 cameras if these have also the problem. Some of them had it as well. Then he offered me to take the camera with him to get it fixed. I said yes and thanked him for the offer, would't you? On the other hand, I handled few with perfectly fit and no-flex issue units as well, and it was clear, that there is something not 100% correct. Thats all is to say to this. Leica will get it fixed for you if it bothers you. Simple as that.

Edited by mipo

dust problem for a small click here and there? Ok that this is not tropicalized but this is pure craziness to my ears. I mean that it is impossible that for a light click of the rear LCD a sensor or a whole camera can get dust problems. Don't you think? Moreover visually it is in perfect conditions... it's not out of its place or something like this.

Reaching the sensor is a bit panicky, but there will be some dust in the LCD, which should not be either.