Q rear screen fragile and clicks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is reported as being Gorilla glass

Link? I've not read that so far - and Leica show a screen protector film on the website which would suggest it's not a Gorilla or Sapphire screen. 

However it's irrelevant to the OP's problem. 

The problem seems most odd, definitely not impact - unless some sudden jolt/drop managed to cause the internal screen to break but I think that would be very unlikely. 

Hopefully a one off incident and Leica will do the right thing. 

Edited by earleygallery

I maybe wrong about the Gorilla glass though I thought I read it some review. Will look back through my history.

In any case it would appear that the glass  is still intact and the problem is underneath.

Edited by viramati

This is what an impact-cracked cover glass looks like. On the M240 there is a flexible second layer, it appears that the Q has a rigid second layer, undoubtedly the digitizer for the touchscreen.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nothing to worry about yet.

If there were reports of this happening to multiple people then you could worry. For now lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill. 

I don't baby mine and so far no issues at all. Im sure the OP just has a defective part, and no doubt his dealer will resolve this promptly.

HI there

I agree - let's hope for an extremely rapid replacement  . . . but I've certainly not been babying mine, and it's been fine.

I don't know what the screen is - but I'll try and find out - mine's unscratched after 6 months, so I guess it's either gorilla glass or a competitor.

All the best

Jono

• Like 2

Is it worth trying a protector on the EVF eye piece?

This discussion is about the LCD...but yes it couldn't hurt to add a protector on eyepiece, especially if you wear glasses.

I havent noticed any scratches though, and I wear glasses.

Look at this:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/246870-q-evf-issue/

Edited by digitalfx

I just noticed the LCD cover is loose on the upper left. If I touch it, there is a clicking sound. Here is a video, its only in the upper left corner:

https://vid.me/Cu1S

I have the same. The screen is flexing on 2 points and clickcs when lightly pressed like its not glued properly...., on the left side and then on top close to the left. I have read few owners have the same. I am ok with it, but plan to show this to Leica rep. Otherwise the camera is all I ever wished great camera would be.

Edited by mipo
  • Like 1

I have the same. The screen is flexing on 2 points and clickcs when lightly pressed like its not glued properly...., on the left side and then on top close to the left. I have read few owners have the same. I am ok with it, but plan to show this to Leica rep. Otherwise the camera is all I ever wished great camera would be.

Yes, I have the same clicking. Production date for s/n 4930xxx was May 04. I will mention this to Leica when we visit Wetzlar in a few days and let them do their own clicking tests.  ;)

My Q makes fabulous images though. I hope the clicking LCD corner, which might be the production line cousin of glueless strap lugs, does not foretell the sort of screen failure that Winedemonium suffered just as his Q was coming to life.

This is all a bit comical for me:  I have an M240 without enough glue in its strap lugs, now a Q with a clicking LCD corner, and then a "new" Summilux-M 75mm that needs to have its diaphragm repaired but Leica has yet to get the lens open after three weeks of struggling with too much glue in the lens! Leica products come with so much individual character, they are like family members.

• Like 2

I'm now back from my Burgundy trip. Leica offered to have a UPS courier collect my camera while I was there, but it wasn't practical to arrange that, and I would have been without 28mm as a result. I opted to continue with the defective camera, as it was still possible to use it with the EVF only.

I wrote to Leica yesterday morning to ask them to arrange collection from me in Hong Kong, and to offer one of 3 solutions - 

1. Provide a replacement camera no later than 17th July, or

2. Provide a repair and return by 17th July, or

3. Take longer with either 1., or 2., and provide a loan Q in the interim.

The reason for that is that I intend to use this camera on the Ming Thein week long residential workshop I will attend in Hanoi immediately after that. 

I am awaiting Leica's response. Let's see what they can do. It would be very disappointing to be without the Q on the one week this year when I will be doing nothing but photography.

Yes, I have the same clicking. Production date for s/n 4930xxx was May 04. I will mention this to Leica when we visit Wetzlar in a few days and let them do their own clicking tests.  ;)

My Q makes fabulous images though. I hope the clicking LCD corner, which might be the production line cousin of glueless strap lugs, does not foretell the sort of screen failure that Winedemonium suffered just as his Q was coming to life.

This is all a bit comical for me:  I have an M240 without enough glue in its strap lugs, now a Q with a clicking LCD corner, and then a "new" Summilux-M 75mm that needs to have its diaphragm repaired but Leica has yet to get the lens open after three weeks of struggling with too much glue in the lens! Leica products come with so much individual character, they are like family members.

I noticed screen too. 0.1-0.2mm click sound of loose. evf too. both at left side. Think there is normal lug, made screen and evf lock position are under there.

Andrea Frankl was dealing with me by email when I was in Burgundy. However, she is now away on leave.

I heard from Ursula Brand-Gerheim on Tuesday asking what had been arranged (seems it didn't get handed over that well), and I replied on Wednesday early in the morning, with Jakob Eberhard and Birgitta Mielke copied. I have had no reply on Wednesday and no reply on Thursday, despite an email chasing.

(Perhaps I have been working in the pressured Hong Kong environment too long!).

Nothing to panic about just yet, but I am concerned that I haven't heard back Wednesday or Thursday to get a solution in motion. With a 17th July solution deadline, I'm feeling nervous at the silence.

All this to say, does anyone have another senior contact at Leica Wetzlar I can copy in at the end of today if I don't hear anything during the course of today please? Thanks to those of you who provided contacts already.

Thanks,

Linden