Q rear screen fragile and clicks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

100% of the Japanese makers prove that you can receive an issue-free camera most of the time.

I had problems with the Sony RX1. The first wouldn't boot-up at all and had to be replaced. The replacement arrived and the Manual Focus wouldn't work at all; this ended up with a lengthy repair.

The RX1 has now been traded-in as a deposit on a Q, for which I'm waiting patiently ..... although patience is wearing a little thin.

Cheers, Tom 

The colour... you mean paint thickness? No... I can't believe is this one the cause. I've noticed that with continuous and regular use the click issue tends to vanish and now mine has a 99,99% perfect behaviour... it clicks only one time, in a precise area, after some hours of disuse. The most important thing is that there will not be dust and infiltration problems caused by the rear weak LCD.

As said, it is a copy of the mail I got from Wetzlar, and of course they mean "paint".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't seen a post on this for a while.  Just received my Q about a week ago #497xxxx, same problem, clicking on left side of LCD.  Does anyone know if Leica has addressed this?  I thought I had ordered late enough that this problem had been solved, but no?  Love the camera, just hope this doesn't lead to problems down the road.  I'll contact Leica and see what they say.  Would rather not send it back unless they recommend that I do so to prevent further problems. 

I am sorry to hear that the poster is upset and I don't mean to negate their feelings, but I don't really understand where they are coming from.  I barely use the screen, I use the dials, but if I used the screen and it clicked I don't understand why would be a problem if it didn't prevent me from recording images.   I mean, the Q is just a tool and if you use it you may scratch, dent it and it may click or creak.  It is the image that is important.  I could care less about anything else. 

Not trying to minimize the feelings of the poster, I guess I just don't get it.

C

I am sorry to hear that the poster is upset and I don't mean to negate their feelings, but I don't really understand where they are coming from.  I barely use the screen, I use the dials, but if I used the screen and it clicked I don't understand why would be a problem if it didn't prevent me from recording images.   I mean, the Q is just a tool and if you use it you may scratch, dent it and it may click or creak.  It is the image that is important.  I could care less about anything else. 

C

Not sure if you're referring to me or someone else.  Just re-read my post, nowhere does it say that I was upset, just that I was going to contact the manufacturer as to whether or not I should be concerned.

Sorry if my post got under your skin.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apart from all the other stuff that Leica is renowned for, it is renowned for build quality.

If there is any aspect of your new expensive camera which shows a failure in build quality then I think you're absolutely right to be concerned about it and to want to return it for a properly made unit.

Apart from anything else, these things never get better – they only get worse.

Also, I can imagine that if there is a clicking screen it means that there must be some play somewhere and to my mind that can only mean that it would be easier for an ingress of dust or water at some point.

Of course, everybody is concerned about the image – but surely people are also concerned about the longevity of the camera because presumably you want to be able to keep on producing those images for as long as possible

C

I suppose if you buy a new car and find that there's a dent when you collect it you would say "doesn't stop it working, I could care less" too?

Leica have admitted there's a fault with some screens and apparently fixed it - but it seems some are still slipping through the net. If you're happy with your faulty camera that's great, but you should be able to understand why some others aren't.

• Like 1

Winginkris,

I am so sorry! 

I posted this on the wrong thread.  I thought this was the thread where the poor guy was so upset about a clicking on an otherwise functioning camera.   I did not realize your product arived with a significantly damaged/cracked screen.  I would have been upset as well, particularly as I remember being so excited about the camera ariving.

I need to pay more attention to the threads, particularly when they get so many pages.

Carlton

This topic has been batted back and forth for a while. My Q is also affected and I'm waiting for Leica to propose a solution. As Michele Belloni has discovered repeated replacement is not the answer.

I am basically ignoring it as it doesn't affect my picture taking and I only notice it when cleaning the screen. A few of those who have done the same have variously made rather negative comments to the effect that it is a minor fault of no consequence.

BUT, and I think it is a big BUT, this is a Leica camera costing the not inconsiderable sum of £3,000. We are paying for a quality instrument and the Leica reputation for quality and it comes with a fault that Leica themselves acknowledge is not meant to be there. Some of you may be wealthy enough not to care about the cost, but I'm not - it is a significant investment. It ought to come without an inherent manufacturing fault.

To me that is the issue, not whether it makes a difference to my picture taking. It is question of not getting what you are paying for.

It's about time we heard officially from Leica about this.

Tim

The only way that Leica solve this SERIOUS manufacturing issue is returning ALL Qs with that defect.