Jump to content
leffe

Best SD Card for Q

Recommended Posts

Also interested to hear if anyone has tested UHS3 cards vs UHS1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

according to the specs its UHS-1:

"SD/SDHC/SDXC, multimedia cards, speed class: UHS-1."

 

I have been using the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s cards and they perform well. I'll test some newer cards and see how they compare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch, only UHS-1

 

Typical Leica...

 

I ran a few quick tests with thee following cards:

Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB SDXC1 (80MB/s) UHS-3

Pro​Sandisk Extreme Plus 16GB SDHC1 (95MB/s) UHS-1

 

Both fresh format

Camera in C Shutter- JPEG + RAW

depressed shutter for 30 seconds

 

both cards performed the same and both recorded 24 exposures in 30 seconds.

Edited by digitalfx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you!  Well at least I can feel good about using cheaper cards.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the SanDisk Extreme 32 GB Pro 95 Mbit SD cards. I’ve been interested in anyway to increase the write speed. On the highest shutter rate of 10 FPS, I’m only getting about 2 1/2 sec. of continuous shutter. Or said another way around 25 images before the buffer is full and it slows down a lot on new image captures. It compares very similar to my Canon 5D3 writing to the same card, but if I write to the Compact Flash on the 5D3 same brand and type card I get around 10 secs. Really amazing the difference in SD versus CF in my 5D3.

 

I have a need for around 4 secs of continuous image capture at 10 FPS on the Q and have not yet found if there’s even a way. Slowing down to the med. capture rate on the Q gives me around 4 sec. capture. I think that’s around 24 images.

 

It may simply be that the Q cannot write any faster no matter what speed SD card is in it. If anyone is using a faster than 95 Mbit card, I’d really appreciate hearing the results. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HELlo... Is 128 GB sandisk extreme pro / 95mb/s is good for Leica Q ?

Edited by Tanz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HELlo... Is 128 GB sandisk extreme pro / 95mb/s is good for Leica Q ?

Afraid I have no idea. I’ve never owned a 128GB card. I personally am reluctant to use such large capacity cards unless it’s for video. I would be afraid to have such a large number of photos on one card. What if it malfunctioned? I’ve only had that happen once, but you literally could lose multiple thousands of photos if it did. Presently I mainly use 16GB cards with the occasional 32GB card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... "good" depends on your viewpoint, I will offer my own experience to counter the usual naysayers:-)

 

This particular media works for me in the Q. I have several of this media at that size. None have ever let me down. I have been using Sandisk media and all have been absolutely trustworthy. No failures - ever - decades?

 

As for losing the lot I place more importance on the safekeeping of THE one media actually in my hand than in my ability to safeguard any such additional items loose in various pockets, cases, cars or other apparently safe locations etc.

 

It all depends on your viewpoint but, yes, this media works in my Q. IMHO brilliantly. Several thousand (?) full size RAWs and whatever capacity with opportunist video footage.

 

It's a usefully good size:-) FWIW I also have another one in my vehicle loaded with FLAC music files.

 

YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2018 at 11:39 PM, Infiniumguy said:

I use the SanDisk Extreme 32 GB Pro 95 Mbit SD cards.

It may simply be that the Q cannot write any faster no matter what speed SD card is in it. If anyone is using a faster than 95 Mbit card, I’d really appreciate hearing the results. Thanks.

Well, given that the Q's specs say it only supports UHS-I, you are stuck with the fastest UHS-I card, currently that is the SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I series: write speed up to 90 MB/s (burst), and 30 MB/s sustained. (V30, U3)

  • UHS-I's theoretical limit is 104 Mb/s
  • UHS-II's theoretical limit is 312 Mb/s

So, there are faster cards out there, but not for the Q.

To me the Extreme Pro UHS-I series card is the best you can get for a Leica Q. (they are all 90 write, 95 read, max)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say a DNG+JPG picture is about 65MB on the Q. 16GB cards then hold as a max 250 Photos and the 32GB holds max 500 photos.

Personally I see no reason to use a larger size SDHC card. I am not doing video.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 10:25 PM, erratic said:

Well, given that the Q's specs say it only supports UHS-I, you are stuck with the fastest UHS-I card, currently that is the SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I series: write speed up to 90 MB/s (burst), and 30 MB/s sustained. (V30, U3)

  • UHS-I's theoretical limit is 104 Mb/s
  • UHS-II's theoretical limit is 312 Mb/s

So, there are faster cards out there, but not for the Q.

To me the Extreme Pro UHS-I series card is the best you can get for a Leica Q. (they are all 90 write, 95 read, max)

But -  the camera will take faster cards, which is an advantage when downloading to your computer - especially using an USB-3 reader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 3:58 PM, piran said:

Well... "good" depends on your viewpoint, I will offer my own experience to counter the usual naysayers:-)

 

This particular media works for me in the Q. I have several of this media at that size. None have ever let me down. I have been using Sandisk media and all have been absolutely trustworthy. No failures - ever - decades?

 

As for losing the lot I place more importance on the safekeeping of THE one media actually in my hand than in my ability to safeguard any such additional items loose in various pockets, cases, cars or other apparently safe locations etc.

 

It all depends on your viewpoint but, yes, this media works in my Q. IMHO brilliantly. Several thousand (?) full size RAWs and whatever capacity with opportunist video footage.

 

It's a usefully good size:-) FWIW I also have another one in my vehicle loaded with FLAC music files.

 

YMMV

Maybe the card won't fail  although I have had it happen, but after you take it out it may be corrupted/mechanically damaged/lost/chewed by the dog, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2018 at 2:21 PM, jaapv said:

But -  the camera will take faster cards, which is an advantage when downloading to your computer - especially using an USB-3 reader.

so are you saying that despite the specs saying it only supports UHS-I, the camera supports UHS-II ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×