Is Leica T headed for discontinuation?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

they discontinued the R then had to reintroduce "solutions" (R to M adaptors, etc.) for diehard R users. I mean the R lenses are just incredible so signing off on that didn't make sense (I mean discontinuing) at all. that was a lesson & a half.

Having a camera compatible with legacy R lenses is just one aspect and not the most important one. R system diehards already had a couple of options for using their lenses with a digital camera. The demise of the R system was inevitable but that didn’t mean the role it had played was obsolete too. Leica needed a new system to fill that role and the SL is that system. This is the future oriented aspect of the SL system introduction that is more important than its legacy lens support aspect.

Edited by mjh

I had recently read on Leica la vida on   that as Leica T has not  sold well, company is planning to discontinue the T.

I am very sorry as I bought one (I have also an M240) and I am really happy. I am sad to think that as other nice leica product there is a risk to own a dead system!!!

I guess this knocks the 'wishful thinking misinformation' firmly into the trash can ...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2015/10/leica-t-firmware-1-4/?utm_source=20151029en&utm_medium=E-Mail

… and coupled with the two new lenses announcement, suggests that the T has a very good future.

Naysayers and their OCD missions should be treated with the contempt they deserve. What they try and preach, says more about them than the rather too frequent anti-Leica missives and the alleged design shortcomings therein. 

dunk

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess this knocks the 'wishful thinking misinformation' firmly into the trash can ...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2015/10/leica-t-firmware-1-4/?utm_source=20151029en&utm_medium=E-Mail

… and coupled with the two new lenses announcement, suggests that the T has a very good future.

Naysayers and their OCD missions should be treated with the contempt they deserve. What they try and preach, says more about them than the rather too frequent anti-Leica missives and the alleged design shortcomings therein. 

dunk

Well said dunk, I wish there was a link to close this thread right after that message!

Edited by theazimuth
  • Like 2

When I had hinted at a possible improvement of AF speed for the T just a couple of days ago, nobody seemed to believe me.

Maybe because of all the brainwashing by the regular critics, naysayers and spoilsports?

I often wonder what Leica Camera AG think of all the unjustified negativity posted on this forum and the fact that it continues … and that it probably affects potential sales?

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

It is amusing to see all the criticisms and negativity of the armchair reviewers, who in most cases don't even own, nor have experience

with the outstanding T series camera and exquisite lenses.

The heading of this thread " Is Leica T headed for discontinuation? is an example of this negativity , with many others chiming in.

For those that find the T inadequate, their are other hobbies , for me, the T is an outstanding system , that provides me with many

great images and enjoyment.

With the just announced 1.4 firmware update, twice the speed, it's a killer.

• Like 3

My T is certainly not for discontinuation. I’m about to order the tele zoom and I shall be getting the Summilux 35mm when it appears. I have already said goodbye to my dSLR.

While I’m on, I would like to express my appreciation to Michael Hußmann for his well-informed contributions to these forums.His posts are invariably beacons of light in what is often a fog of speculation, rumour and misinformation. Thank you, Michael, very much!

• Like 6

Ok here is a positive question. Do you think that the T will spawn a family of T cameras? personally I believe that the APS-C sensor is the future, there will be a kind of Moors Law to image sensors and the sensors will just get better so smaller photo sites will not mean that they are no good in low light, technology seldom goes backwards.

The SL has the sport of specs I wanted to see in the T, the T we have at the moment does not have a viewfinder and the clip on just spoils the ergonomics. I loved the Contax G2 and the T has the potential to be a digital version of that camera with small neat autofocus lenses, primes and zooms. With todays announcements we have the basis of the lenses, all the need is a T MKII.

Ok here is a positive question. Do you think that the T will spawn a family of T cameras? personally I believe that the APS-C sensor is the future, there will be a kind of Moors Law to image sensors and the sensors will just get better so smaller photo sites will not mean that they are no good in low light, technology seldom goes backwards.

The SL has the sport of specs I wanted to see in the T, the T we have at the moment does not have a viewfinder and the clip on just spoils the ergonomics. I loved the Contax G2 and the T has the potential to be a digital version of that camera with small neat autofocus lenses, primes and zooms. With todays announcements we have the basis of the lenses, all the need is a T MKII.

Good question! I think that deserves a separate thread in order to close this one :)

Ok here is a positive question. Do you think that the T will spawn a family of T cameras?

Yes, but not necessarily at APS-C size. The next L-mount camera will be the next M, although it will drop the M-mount, lose a few mm thickness and return to the old M6 size and weight that is so often called for. M lenses would be used via a new M-T adapter that allowed for continuing RF use.

Do I believe this will happen? Dunno. Could it happen? I'm sure it could  :)

Edited by LocalHero1953

When I had hinted at a possible improvement of AF speed for the T just a couple of days ago, nobody seemed to believe me.

Can we get some bug fixes and a few feature requests satisfied now please:

1. Program Shift continues to not work.
  2. 2s self timer must be reset every shot. Please make it sticky. (arguably not a bug)
  3. Everybody who uses manual lenses really would love focus peaking
  4. I really would love a way to be able to see both the focus scale and the histogram at the same time. See: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/245866-ui-refinements/?p=2826496 has a quick mockup of what I had in mind.
  5. I'd also love to be able to be able to view the focus scale in AF mode.

Please see my complete compiled list on: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/252004-firmware/?p=2911851

I can scratch a couple off of my list with the 1.4 release. I'll be more than happy to send you the updated list once I've had a chance to go through them all again. ;-)

Really since so much of the experience of the camera is built into software these days, to maintain high customer satisfaction and gain the long tail of sales over the years between generations of HW, Leica needs to rely on increasingly good word of mouth. This comes from being responsive to bugs and feature requests.

One of the classic mistakes that companies who see themselves as hardware companies make is they deploy too large a portion of their software engineering staff to new product development rather than support of existing products. Bugs are missed in test cycles and users often times quickly find the problems. If your engineering team is otherwise deployed on the next product customer frustration quickly builds.

Part of what leads to this mistake is that management see the continuing product support as a cost center, while they justify new product R&D with predicted revenue. This ends up being short sighted because once the initial marketing splash dies down, sales are driven during the long interval of time between generations of hardware by customer satisfaction and word of mouth. Furthermore building on a good reputation requires less marketing effort and expense when the next generation of hardware finally does come along. Otherwise you have to overcome the resentment and frustration of the previous generation's owners.

A continually improving product does a lot to sell itself and satisfied users are your best salesmen.

• Like 3

What drove me away from the T was the blackout.  I doubt that will be fixed until T2 comes along.

That there will be a T2, I have no doubt.  Leica has invested a huge amount into the L mount, and the future of T (APS-C), M (full frame rangefinder), SL (EVF mirrorless) and S (medium format dSLR) seems assured to me.  Looks like a great combination.

Threads floating baseless rumours about discontinuation, the optical rangefinder M being doomed, the SL being a "fail" and the S not selling well (we've seen all of these) are really just mischief.  Hopefully not damaging mischief, but mischief all the same.

I do feel sorry for people who read this rubbish and who can't do the Zen thing - look at the product and consider what it does; consider your needs and consider whether the product will meet those needs; think about the whole and decide if this is a product you can bond with; and buy the product (or don't) and work out what its strengths are and how to play to those strengths.  If you read reviews, ask Mr Huff, devote your time to Mr Rockwell; worry about what Mr Chambers might find; and be guided by DPReview, you are doomed to buy and sell products in any endless cycle of discontent.  If you have passion, the humblest of cameras will produce great results.

Me?  I love Leica products - they do it for me in a way that Sony never will.

Cheers

John

My T is certainly not for discontinuation. I’m about to order the tele zoom and I shall be getting the Summilux 35mm when it appears. I have already said goodbye to my dSLR.

While I’m on, I would like to express my appreciation to Michael Hußmann for his well-informed contributions to these forums.His posts are invariably beacons of light in what is often a fog of speculation, rumour and misinformation. Thank you, Michael, very much!

Yes a big BRAVO for Michael

Regards Dre

1. Everybody who uses manual lenses really would love focus peaking

Not everybody! I have focus peaking on another camera on which I sometimes use manual focus lenses. I find it distracting so I turn it off. It adds nothing to my ability to focus accurately. All that takes is practice.

I use manual lenses a lot on the T. Manual focusing is as easy and pleasant an experience as I expect it to be on a Leica camera. I wouldn’t want focus peaking getting in the way.

I took a look at the long list of software fixes and features you’re asking for in the Firmware thread. I think you may be missing the point of Das Wesentliche.

I do think Leica will produce a next-generation T (in a few years) that will have improved low-light (high ISO) performance and faster handling.  That will certainly extend the usefulness of the 3 T zoom lenses in low light (and the primes).  

Leica has more than hinted that the resolving power of today's X- and T- series lenses, combined with (only) APS sensors, has taken their APS system performance to be close to the same high level as their acclaimed M benchmarks.  

(Don't get me wrong.  The M system performance is in a different league - but all things considered (size, handling speed, IQ), not a quantum leap better in IQ for me anyway - especially when I can shoot with M glass on my T.)

I really don't feel like I am missing much with the APS sensor T.  The T system is small enough and produces stellar images - and it literally keeps getting better!

An investment in T glass will be good for many years to come I reckon (and hope) - and will likely produce even better results on their next-gen bodies.

What a great day today is!  No need to hope for a next-gen body.

T H A N K    Y O U    L E I C A    F O R   Y O U R    C O N T I N U E D   C O M M I T M E N T     T O    T H E    T   !   ! 

Edited by Guest