Is Leica T headed for discontinuation?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a T owner and I admit to begrudging all the man-hours spent hand polishing T bodies, especially when they could have been used for more practical things, such as adding focus peaking; making the "off" setting  on auto-review actually disable the auto review; having firmware that doesn't force-add stored .jpg images that RAW shooters don't need; and making the 3X and 6X EVF "focus magnification" produce true magnification rather than giving an optical magnification of the 1X pixels.

A long-established reviewer of another camera brand once wrote that a piece of gear is "good" only if it is "good" for the manner in which its owner intends to use it.  With its native lenses, the T may be a tour de force among APS-C cameras.  But for a photographer who seeks a Leica camera that can make the best possible pictures with Leica's spectacular telephoto optics, it is absolutely useless because critical focus cannot be achieved consistently with the current firmware.  

Sure, maybe one can "ballpark" the focus and make nice-looking pictures.  But for critically-focused larger prints, and for maximizing the capabilities of Leica telephoto glass, this camera is a dead loser--perhaps the intention of its maker, wishing to sell native T glass.

Too bad it's not a bit smaller; the "design" is so pretty it'd make a great keychain ornament instead of taking up undeserved space in the dry cabinet.

• Like 1

I am a T owner and I admit to begrudging all the man-hours spent hand polishing T bodies, especially when they could have been used for more practical things, such as adding focus peaking; making the "off" setting  on auto-review actually disable the auto review; having firmware that doesn't force-add stored .jpg images that RAW shooters don't need; and making the 3X and 6X EVF "focus magnification" produce true magnification rather than giving an optical magnification of the 1X pixels.

A long-established reviewer of another camera brand once wrote that a piece of gear is "good" only if it is "good" for the manner in which its owner intends to use it.  With its native lenses, the T may be a tour de force among APS-C cameras.  But for a photographer who seeks a Leica camera that can make the best possible pictures with Leica's spectacular telephoto optics, it is absolutely useless because critical focus cannot be achieved consistently with the current firmware.  

Sure, maybe one can "ballpark" the focus and make nice-looking pictures.  But for critically-focused larger prints, and for maximizing the capabilities of Leica telephoto glass, this camera is a dead loser--perhaps the intention of its maker, wishing to sell native T glass.

Too bad it's not a bit smaller; the "design" is so pretty it'd make a great keychain ornament instead of taking up undeserved space in the dry cabinet.

That it's not good for you does not mean it's bad for everyone.  If the T or any other camera regardless of manufacturer doesn't meet your needs, sell it and move on.  Don't hate the folks who have a T and like what it offers.

• Like 1

I had to chuckle about the line on wasted man-hours. I agree with many of these points, it feels like an unfinished and disappointing product to me. In some threads there is talk about a second version of the T coming out eventually. If this is true and the successor has some of the features of the SL without its bulk, it could become a very interesting proposition.

I had to chuckle about the line on wasted man-hours. I agree with many of these points, it feels like an unfinished and disappointing product to me. In some threads there is talk about a second version of the T coming out eventually. If this is true and the successor has some of the features of the SL without its bulk, it could become a very interesting proposition.

The only area where I would agree on is the WiFi and T-App, these areas are unfinished in my view or rushed. The rest of the camera suits me fine. The end result is lovely images, which is what I wanted to have at the end of it. I would love the added convenience of working WiFi, and being able to transfer everything from camera to a computer (DNG/JPG). Until that happens a small part of me (the lazy part) is disappointed with the camera. In the meantime the card can be removed or the cable can be fiddled with.

Initially i strugled, but I do not have issues with the focussing anymore. And i hardly ever use the magnification option for focussing. Might be i am less critical than you are. http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/246491-busy-bees/

I sometimes carve utinsils out of wood. I like polishing  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Don't hate the folks who have a T and like what it offers.

I said that?  :o

Seriously, this thread aptly illustrates another poster's speculation about Leica's intended customer for this camera.

And it serves as a good reminder of why I lurked on this site for two years before starting to post regularly.

To those of you who actually get outside and take pictures, maybe I'll see you in the field.     :)

Edited by pop

I am a T owner and I admit to begrudging all the man-hours spent hand polishing T bodies, especially when they could have been used for more practical things, …   

Has anyone actually seen a video showing the legendary polisher hard at work with his/her stack of Leica T aluminium bodies?

dunk 

Has anyone actually seen a video showing the legendary polisher hard at work with his/her stack of Leica T aluminium bodies?

dunk 

I have seen part of the video, but I'm not patient enough or idle enough to watch all of it. 

How much does one man hour of this particular skill cost? 25 Euros?

• Like 1

I have seen part of the video, but I'm not patient enough or idle enough to watch all of it. 

How much does one man hour of this particular skill cost? 25 Euros?

I am glad they took the time to finish off a very nice camera with a lovely finish.  I would gladly pay 25 euros additionally for it!  And am sure many more hours go into the rest of the Leica line on finish work, surely. Why this has become a focal point of critics is a bit laughable.  It's a nice camera.  Not perfection yet.  But maybe the T2 will be and I hope looks as nice!

• Like 1

Great to see Leica introduce new lens for the T. Best of all a Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm. Time to save up for the lens. In the mean time, enjoying my T, both of them. :)

I think that this is one of the lenses that I have been missing most. Some times of the year I do a lot of Macro (flowers and lichen) and I think that the crop sensor combined with AF continious really makes it possible to get better shots than with a FF MF camera.  The CAF just takes any small movement wind, bug moves, small hand shake out and allows hand held shots.

As I have said before, I am really happy with the T for it photographic output.  I have never used video on the T so I cannot comment on that aspect.  It has its faults, but the photos I get are wonderful to my eye and I love the ease of use when I travel .  If a T2 or TL in introduced in the next year, I would like to see a form factor similar to the SL.  That said, when a new T is introduced, it will be bashed by negative people that look only at faults and not the positives.

It is quite possible that I will eventually sell the M240, the 21 Elmarit ASPH, the 28 Summicron Asph and the 75 Summicron Asph.  I will keep the 35 Summicron Asph, the 50 Summilux Asph, my M5 and possibly purchase an SL with the 24-90.  In combination with the T and it's 3 Zooms I will have a versatile system.  But, this is speculation at this point.

Edited by rsh
  • Like 1

I'm back to looking at Leica BECAUSE the T is somewhat affordable. While I COULD spend $10000 on a rangefinder body and one lens, that's not a practical use of my dollars.

Just saying'. Also, I like my Fuji X-Pro 1 very much, despite some shortcomings, so I doubt I'd find much to dislike in a T.

they discontinued the R then had to reintroduce "solutions" (R to M adaptors, etc.) for diehard R users. I mean the R lenses are just incredible so signing off on that didn't make sense (I mean discontinuing) at all. that was a lesson & a half.

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here, but this is what I kinda understand. Please correct me if I am wrong:-

1. Model 701 T - APS-C, 16MP, T-Mount

2. Model 601 SL - FF, 24MP, L-Mount,

3. SL-Mount = L-mount = T-Mount?

4. SL, TL and T AF lenses all native in terms of mount. There are some issues of cropping mode (T Lens on an SL)

5. There is/could be an economic issue putting a native SL on a T (expensive, large SL glass on a APS-C Sensor, using only 2/3rds of the glass effectively).

6. M Adapter T is already out.

7. R Adapter L - coming

8. S Adaptor L - coming

9. PL Adapter L - coming

Therefore, it seems to me with SL = TL = T mounting, that there are two extremes of a camera system (T 701, SL 601) that can take all the legacy lenses Leica has ever made. One is 16MP, the other 24MP FF.

I am not sure what there is not to like about this direction from Leica. Seems like they are unifying their entire universe to me and one where the 701T has just been liberated/elevated to a cut-price limited spec 601SL?

Edited by Mr10Percent
  • Like 1

I own a M6 TTL and M8 ( 3100287) still working perfect (35mm 1.4, 50mm 2.0, 90mm 2.0}. Shooting with both camera's. I am thinking off buying a Leica T with a 18 to 56mm lens.

A Visoflex and M adapter. In Holland there are various dealers giving the Visoflex for free. The new SL 601 has the same mount as the T so I think Leica will continue  with the T.

My question is: can I use my M lenses that were coded 5 years ago use on the Leica T. The 90mm old Canada made lens has is not coded?

thank you already for your answers,

Gerjan van Asch