Is Leica T headed for discontinuation?

For what it’s worth, the two new lenses appear to have switched their positions in the roadmap. In the original T camera system roadmap (from 2.5 years ago) the 60 mm lens was supposed to be released first, with the 35 mm lens following about a year later. Now it will be the other way round.

Certainly hope that its untrue! Got the T not long ago... images are wow wow...  actually considering getting the 55-135mm  :)

Agreed with the image quality I also love this camera, I even like v. much the large control screen on the back. So easy. With the 55-135, I am coming from a A7RII with 70-210, I have to say I am finding it difficult getting used to taking images without shake with this zoom. What I will try is to use the Leica mini-tripod resting on my chest when I use this zoom in future. I think that will cure the difficulty. With the 18-56 of course no problem.

Another thing I love after the Sony, is the extremely discreet sound when you take a picture with the T. The Sony is far louder and if you set the option to kill the sound, that affects other settings......

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting,

I own a M6 and M8. Using Kodak Porta for my M6. Great result! I am thinking of trading in my M8 for a T with a T lens.

It's smaller and I can use my M lenses. The new SL 601 also has the T entrance which I think will keep the T staying in production.

Is this a good idee,

Thank you if you answer,

Gerjan van Asch

Now that we know the specs/price of the SL I think there is definately a place in the Leica range for the T system.

I just hope the next T body is more of a camera and less of a fashion piece.

James I can assure you that the T is one of the most comfortable cameras to carry around and one of the most intuitive to use. 

On my wrist with fingers on the grip it fits my hand like a glove - instantly ready for use. 

To many users, the T is a functional and innovative ergonomic masterpiece  … and it's available both in black and silver.

I do not see lots of yuppies walking around carrying Leica T cameras as 'bling' fashion statements. 

dunk

• Like 1

Now that we know the specs/price of the SL I think there is definately a place in the Leica range for the T system.

I just hope the next T body is more of a camera and less of a fashion piece.

This is boring to keep repeating this criticism.  You have anything new to say?

• Like 3

Interesting,

I own a M6 and M8. Using Kodak Porta for my M6. Great result! I am thinking of trading in my M8 for a T with a T lens.

It's smaller and I can use my M lenses. The new SL 601 also has the T entrance which I think will keep the T staying in production.

Is this a good idee,

Thank you if you answer,

Gerjan van Asch

Yes it's a good idea but maybe consider visiting your Leica dealer and take a spare SD card and a few M lenses with you … and try a demo T body (excellent images at high ISO in a store environment).

dunk

It's boring to have the same protest every time I mention the T.

Yep, and I am bored of your criticism it's not much of a camera and more a fashion statement which is solely meant to start an argument and insult those of us that appreciate this camera on this forum.  You don't own a T.  Why don't you buy one and learn first hand that it's quite a nice piece of equipment as a camera!  

• Like 2

Yep, and I am bored of your criticism it's not much of a camera and more a fashion statement which is solely meant to start an argument and insult those of us that appreciate this camera on this forum.  You don't own a T.  Why don't you buy one and learn first hand that it's quite a nice piece of equipment as a camera!  

Leica made much of the 4 hours hand polished body of the T when it was launched, probably the thing they shouted loudest about. It was also launched with a selection of snap on coloured covers and straps rather like some mobile phones.

Clearly the camera is aimed at the fashion conscious consumer, rather than being designed to appeal primarily to serious photographers.

This is fine by the way - Leica are targeting new customers with the T, customers who are willing to pay a premium for a unique looking product.

As a 'serious' photographer I'm not so happy to pay for someone to hand polish my camera body and prefer a more 'utilitarian' look. I have no need to coloured snap on cases or the like. I do understand that these will however appeal to some people.

Why should I buy a T? It would be a waste of my money for a start. I actually own and use a very similar camera, a Canon M. Like the T is is APS-C, it has a touch screen interface, and a 35mm equivalent prime lens (as well as the standard zoom). I can even use Leica M/LTM lenses with it! It has sensor cleaning and image stabilisation.

It's actually a very nice camera and I find myself using it a lot as it's small and light to carry around. I am sure I would enjoy using the T as much, but for me I wouldn't spend that amount of money on one (I paid £200 for the Canon M with the 18-55 zoom lens and another £100 for the 22mm f2 prime when Argos were selling off 'old' stocks).

An 'SL' version of the T would be more interesting.

Leica made much of the 4 hours hand polished body of the T when it was launched, probably the thing they shouted loudest about. It was also launched with a selection of snap on coloured covers and straps rather like some mobile phones.

Clearly the camera is aimed at the fashion conscious consumer, rather than being designed to appeal primarily to serious photographers.

This is fine by the way - Leica are targeting new customers with the T, customers who are willing to pay a premium for a unique looking product.

As a 'serious' photographer I'm not so happy to pay for someone to hand polish my camera body and prefer a more 'utilitarian' look. I have no need to coloured snap on cases or the like. I do understand that these will however appeal to some people.

Why should I buy a T? It would be a waste of my money for a start. I actually own and use a very similar camera, a Canon M. Like the T is is APS-C, it has a touch screen interface, and a 35mm equivalent prime lens (as well as the standard zoom). I can even use Leica M/LTM lenses with it! It has sensor cleaning and image stabilisation.

It's actually a very nice camera and I find myself using it a lot as it's small and light to carry around. I am sure I would enjoy using the T as much, but for me I wouldn't spend that amount of money on one (I paid £200 for the Canon M with the 18-55 zoom lens and another £100 for the 22mm f2 prime when Argos were selling off 'old' stocks).

An 'SL' version of the T would be more interesting.

Well....I don't need to add any more to this.....it speaks for itself.  Good for you, you are happy with a Canon M.  Congrats. 

Well....I don't need to add any more to this.....it speaks for itself.  Good for you, you are happy with a Canon M.  Congrats. 

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that remark but I think I can take a good guess.

Maybe we should meet up and have a T v M shoot off - I think you'd be very surprised just how good the Canon is, particularly their 22mm lens which is a little gem.

Thank you anyway for the good wishes.

Interesting: you obviously rate T photographers as non-serious ...

Edited by MichaelU
  • Like 1