Is Leica T headed for discontinuation?

When Michelle LaVaughn Robinson became Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama, how much did she change?

You really have to ask her, but I imagine a lot.

Let's say, not so much in appearance, although she dresses nicer, but because she stopped being a lawyer in her own right, for the time being, and went on to become the "first lady", co-existing beside Barack.

So in your analogy, I assume the T-lens stops being an independent lens for the T-system and will morph into the L-mount lens, co-existing for two systems; the T and S, APS-C and FF.

Now, my question is if the TL-primes, or SL-primes for that matter, dresses nicer, i.e. will have a distance scale and a true MF-ring, accompanied by a macro-switch, just like the Q-lens?

Edited by AndrewAM

As we have seen from the A7 there is no such thing as a small AF FF f1.4 lens, whatever the register distance or size of the camera. It's physics.

Leica M is, and will be, the smallest FF lens forever. Due to the non-telecentric (most lenses, although some Zeiss and long focal are) and purely manual design.

It has not one infantessimal thing to do with physics.

I'm guessing that we new T lenses being confirmed, we can comfortably say that the T as a family is being kept by Leica?

They are confirmed yes, but for next year!

It takes far too long.

Only one prime available now, the 35 Lux not before summer 2016 and the 60 Macro at the end of 2016.

Guess I won't see a (S) Wide Lens before 2017.

I really have to think hard about staying in the T-system, at this pace. This way the T is becoming a point and shoot with only the 23 mm. Summicron.

Nice replacement for my X1, but still. But not wanting to leave Leica means trading up to a M, let alone SL (I do have a range of R-lenses). 

Will have to count my pennies again......

• Like 1

Michael, are the new TL lenses announced full framed or cropped?

TL lenses are designed for APS-C; on the SL they will switch the camera into crop mode automatically. Just as existing T lenses do. T = TL.

• Like 1

So, if I read correctly, they will only produce a 10mp image on the SL?  Why would I buy them for the SL?

You wouldn’t. Nobody in his or her right mind would consider buying T/TL lenses for using these exclusively on the SL. But if you or a family member should own a T that would be a different matter.

• Like 1

So, if I read correctly, they will only produce a 10mp image on the SL?  Why would I buy them for the SL?

The 35/F1.4 might make a reasonably useful (almost certainly cheaper) stop-gap fast AF '50' for the SL system if it appears much in advance of the SL 50 lens (both seem to be timetabled for sometime later next year). 10MP is perfectly fine in many situations.

Edited by wattsy

You wouldn’t. Nobody in his or her right mind would consider buying T/TL lenses for using these exclusively on the SL. But if you or a family member should own a T that would be a different matter.

Well, I am glad they are continuing the strong support for the T with new lenses.  That is good news.  I am wondering if these lenses will, in the future, work on a higher resolution sensor.....perhaps a new T?

I am wondering if these lenses will, in the future, work on a higher resolution sensor.....perhaps a new T?

Sure they will. And I suppose there will be a next T – photokina 2016 could provide the opportunity to announce it.

• Like 3