Is Leica T headed for discontinuation?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Weight is IMO also an important element.  Right now the T body and lenses are very well balanced.  FF lenses would tend to be a lot heavier.  Suffice it to take a look at some of the monsters that have been produced for the Sony A7-series lately...

Yes I can vouch for that with Sony A7 series. The lenses for full-frame e-mount ...... large and heavy. The current T body and lenses are excellently balanced. In a Hadley Pro Billingham, I now have an almost perfect system.

i would go back to the original question: do we have signs Leica is strongly committed to the T line? Any aps-c T mount prime 50 and 75/85 equivalent in view? Any firmware update?

robert

No.

But there are new products coming in a few weeks so you'll know a little more then one way or the other. 

i would go back to the original question: do we have signs Leica is strongly committed to the T line? Any aps-c T mount prime 50 and 75/85 equivalent in view? Any firmware update?

robert

If you read recent posts as to who has bought what and the hints given by those who probably do know, then there are no signs that Leica is not committed to the 'T' system … in fact one reply states that Leica is sticking to its original 'roadmap'. 

dunk

Any aps-c T mount prime 50 and 75/85 equivalent in view? Any firmware update?

The rumour mills are preoccupied with the SL (Typ 601) at the moment but I suppose that on 20 October we will also hear some news about future T camera system products such as new lenses. As the only prime lens so far is a moderate wide-angle lens, a 50 mm equivalent and a portrait/macro lens would make useful additions to the the lens portfolio, just as you suggested.

• Like 4

The rumour mills are preoccupied with the SL (Typ 601) at the moment but I suppose that on 20 October we will also hear some news about future T camera system products such as new lenses. As the only prime lens so far is a moderate wide-angle lens, a 50 mm equivalent and a portrait/macro lens would make useful additions to the the lens portfolio, just as you suggested.

And a (S) Wide Angle, 21-24 equivalent, I might add?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You could have bought a Fuji or Sony and had FF right now! If you simply must have a Leica your prayers are about to be answered, no need to wait 10 years!

All Fuji X  cameras are still APS-C as far as I know...  

• Like 1

Very interesting !!

If true might explain the reason why T system lenses have been delayed.

And begs the question ...

Will existing T lenses cover full frame or would they crop the FF to APS-C? 

And how does the T's M adaptor work with the alleged FF camera? 

dunk

I had not read MJH's previous post No 11 in the FAQ thread  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/226988-leica-t-faq-thread/   … the large mount diameter makes sense now … and thus a FF T camera is not a possible option.  

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

My blind guess is that the SL uses a T mount for FF

Also that some pretty cool lenses will be announced, such as a 50mm 0.95

And they will be able to be used on the APS-C system with a T mount.

This is all blind speculation from me but should be a welcome boost for the T if true.

Also there are other T APS-C body types coming

Phew! Thats enough excitement for one day

This link suggest a new mount TL

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdigicame-info.com%2F2015%2F10%2Fleica-sl24mp4k.html&edit-text=

TL series of interchangeable lens (35mm and 60mm) is like a T-mount lens that can be used even LEICA SL even LEICA T. The TL series of the lens, whether it can be mounted directly to the SL, it is that of a do not know at the moment. 

As the only prime lens so far is a moderate wide-angle lens, a 50 mm equivalent and a portrait/macro lens would make useful additions to the the lens portfolio, just as you suggested.

And that is exactly what the latest rumors are suggesting: The introduction of two "TL" lenses with the new SL camera. A 35 sumilux and a 60 macro. The "T" designation would suggest that these lenses would mount on the Leica T as well as on the SL and would be a 50mm lux and a 90mm macro.

Edited by pvak

From La Vida Leica!:

There will be two additional lenses coming as well - with a TL mount - which are T mount lenses that can be used on both Leica T and Leica SL. We know the lenses will have electronic connections, as the T does. What will be interesting is how the crop is handled because of the differing image circles.

• Summilux-TL 35mm ASPH
  • Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm ASPH

TL mount - which are T mount lenses that can be used on both Leica T and Leica SL

You make it sound like existing T lenses could not be used on the SL.

What will be interesting is how the crop is handled because of the differing image circles.

There is just one sensible way to handle this.

Edited by mjh

You make it sound like existing T lenses could not be used on the SL.

No personal interpretation, just copy and paste from the La Vida Leica! website.

The most important thing, as far as I am concerned, is that it seems to confirm that there are indeed new T-lenses coming.

No personal interpretation, just copy and paste from the La Vida Leica! website.

Whatever La Vida Leica says should be taken with an amount of salt bordering on the unhealthy.

The most important thing, as far as I am concerned, is that it seems to confirm that there are indeed new T-lenses coming.

As anyone paying attention to my posts would have guessed.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 1

Since they announced SL and TL lenses, it makes sense that the SL lenses are full-frame and the TL lenses are APS-C.  The FF lenses will work on the smaller cameras, but if the smaller lenses are used on the larger bodies they will either trigger a crop mode, vignette horribly or perhaps not be mountable at all.

The fat that new TL lenses are being announced suggests also that the T system shall remain and in fact grow.

As we have seen from the A7 there is no such thing as a small AF FF f1.4 lens, whatever the register distance or size of the camera. It's physics.

Leica M is, and will be, the smallest FF lens forever. Due to the non-telecentric (most lenses, although some Zeiss and long focal are) and purely manual design.