Is Leica T headed for discontinuation?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whatever is in the pipeline is already there … and would have probably been born at least 18 months ago.

Well before the T camera system was introduced there was a roadmap (that unfortunately was never published) charting the years to come. Leica is still on schedule developing and introducing the products detailed on that roadmap.

• Like 2

Your words - "Why do you have to come up here and pee on it and people who own it????"

​Care to explain exactly what you meant by that?

Come on James … you know what you wrote and how it must come across to other people. Your remark, "Fashionista's buy it for the bling factor" is load of old cods-wallop and quite offensive to those who spent the time studying the camera before purchase. Few T users just walk into a store or buy online because they, according to you, deem it to be a 'bling fashion statement'.  You reap as you sow … so if you post such untruths you have to expect some flack … and the flack was quite politely phrased in the circumstances. 

dunk

• Like 6

Well before the T camera system was introduced there was a roadmap (that unfortunately was never published) charting the years to come. Leica is still on schedule developing and introducing the products detailed on that roadmap.

Not that difficult to be on schedule, when they have only one prime and 3 zooms to show for at the introduction and first 6 months They might as well be on schedule if they come with nothing within the next three years, who knows....still would be a schedule.....

It doesn't bode well for the confidence of the users in the system, if it will take that much longer.

Edited by AndrewAM

If Leica discontinues the T, I'll have to make sure I buy  another body for back up.  I always have the camera and 23mm lens with me.

Although I also took an M240 system with me for a three month stay in Lucca, Italy, I only grab a lens or two out of that system because the T is so easy to carry under a jacket or vest.  I thought I should take the M240 system for such a long stay, but I really haven't needed the M240 that much.  The T with an extra lens (WATE, 90mm, or 135mm) are all I seem to need.  For close up, I use a stack of ELPRO lens with a 52mm adapter to the 23mm.  They are small and easy to carry in a pocket.   

So, please, Leica don't discontinue the T.  I would love to see an auto, 60mm Summicron with macro capabilities as the

next lens.

Ciao,  Sully 

Edited by Sully
  • Like 1

I have given thought to getting a second T as well.  Hope not discontinued.  My whole thought process to getting the T was needed a more portable and light camera but was dissatisfied with any of the point and shoot cameras images, since am a long time M shooter, you just get used to a certain quality.  The T just was a little bit of a stretch, and boy!, did it ever surprise me how wonderful it is.  Now, if the next version of the M is more like the T, I will be ecstatic!  However, I love my M too so both are keepers.  More than likely, my M240 is my last M ..... I have a suspicion.  Looking forward to what Leica's going to announce.....

• Like 1

Anybody else catch this?

http://www.43rumors.com/?s=Leica  

My other almost abandoned camera system has been m43 and I just swung by there to see what is going on in that world and it appears like their rumor r people have dug up some news on the T. It sounds like the T mount may go FF and be called the Leica SL Type 601.

Rumors yes but tantalizing ones.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very interesting !!

If true might explain the reason why T system lenses have been delayed.

And begs the question ...

Will existing T lenses cover full frame or would they crop the FF to APS-C? 

And how does the T's M adaptor work with the alleged FF camera? 

dunk

If true might explain the reason why T system lenses have been delayed.

Which T camera system lenses are delayed I wonder?

Will existing T lenses cover full frame

This has been covered a couple of times now: No, they won’t. As a matter of fact, both existing and future lenses for the T camera system are APS-C lenses.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 2

Which T camera system lenses are delayed I wonder?

This has been covered a couple of times now: No, they won’t. As a matter of fact, both existing and future lenses for the T camera system are APS-C lenses.

But presumably the rumoured FF camera's lenses, being T mount, would be compatible with the Leica T … and thus increase the T's AF lens' arsenal. 

dunk

It would make sense for Leica to use the same T mount on the SL assuming that it is large enough etc., just to save costs on their part.

Whilst it would then be possible to use an SL lens on a T body, one would be paying for a FF lens and only using part of its capability, as well as having a larger than necessary lens and a more expensive lens (than a crop sensor lens could be).

It makes more sense with Canon/Nikon DSLR's given the historic development from film body based crop sensor models to later FF models, but it would seem an odd path for Leica to take with two completely new systems.

Adaptors for legacy R, and M lenses is another matter.

Yes, but who wants a bigg and more expensive FF-lens for use on a dx-sensor camera?

I would rather use the smaller and less expensive T-lenses on the T.

I really hope they will come with a 50mm equivalent with f1.4  for the T soon.

Being mirrorless, FF lenses might not be that big and maybe there are production cost economies if lenses serve dual purpose i.e. usable on both formats. Canon and Nikon do not have FF mirrorless bodies so their FF DSLR lenses are large.

dunk  

But presumably the rumoured FF camera's lenses, being T mount, would be compatible with the Leica T … and thus increase the T's AF lens' arsenal.

If Leica should introduce FF lenses with the Leica T mount then most likely these could be used on the T. On the other hand this would probably make little sense. I suppose owners of the T would prefer current and future T camera system lenses, i.e. APS-C lenses.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 1

Being mirrorless, FF lenses might not be that big

Lenses for mirrorless systems aren’t necessarily smaller than lenses for SLRs. Some are actually bigger.

maybe there are production cost economies if lenses serve dual purpose i.e. usable on both formats.

I wouldn’t count on that.

If Leica should introduce FF lenses with the Leica T mount then most likely these could be used on the T. On the other hand this would probably make little sense. I suppose owners of the T would prefer current and future T camera system lenses, i.e. APS-C lenses.

As a T user given the price is justified, and confirmed that it works with the T, I would prefer FF lenses for future (10 years down the line)

As a T user given the price is justified, and confirmed that it works with the T, I would prefer FF lenses for future (10 years down the line)

Weight is IMO also an important element.  Right now the T body and lenses are very well balanced.  FF lenses would tend to be a lot heavier.  Suffice it to take a look at some of the monsters that have been produced for the Sony A7-series lately...

If you would prefer a FF camera why did you buy the Leica T?

You could have bought a Fuji or Sony and had FF right now! If you simply must have a Leica your prayers are about to be answered, no need to wait 10 years!

Edited by earleygallery

If you would prefer a FF camera why did you buy the Leica T?

You could have bought a Fuji or Sony and had FF right now! If you simply must have a Leica your prayers are about to be answered, no need to wait 10 years!

I didn't say I wanted an FF camera. I don't want and need an FF camera , and Leica T suits perfectly for my needs at the moment.

Thank you very much I make my own decisions .

• Like 1

I think "full frame" is a misnomer. What is so "full" about it? The terminology has the connotation of being some sort of ideal or ultimate design parameter, whereas it is nothing of the sort. It simply refers to the 35mm format, for which most amateur lenses are designed.

I didn't say I wanted an FF camera. I don't want and need an FF camera , and Leica T suits perfectly for my needs at the moment.

Thank you very much I make my own decisions .

But you refer to using FF in 10 years time. What's that about then? Just curious why you don't use FF now but think you need to in 10 years time!