Is Leica T headed for discontinuation?

If it were full frame I'd be buying because it feels so comfortable in the hand.

Yep … ergonomics are superb! I regularly carry the camera via its wrist strap with my fingers nestled onto the built-in grip and it fits my hand like a glove … and can be carried/balanced thus for long periods without fatigue … ready in an instant to take a photograph. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Agreed, well said BB.

I have a proliferation of "older" Leica digital, dating back to the Digilux 4.3, and with the "later" additions of X1, X-Vario, and now T.

All are wonderful, and all are "comprimised" in some way, but all are loved. By comprimised, I mean for example, the X1, gorgeous, but slow (now, but possibly quite decent when it was released).. The X-Vario, wonderful as a travel camera, believe me, I have just returned with a swag of files from it, but the nay-sayers tell me the lens is too slow.  The T, well, I am in my early days with it. As a digital back for my small collection of M glass it is perfect, and I will eventually buy an AF T lens at some stage. Style/substance? Don't know, don'y care.

So, if you have them, use them. If you have never had them, just allow those that do have them to enjoy them, I certainly am.

Gary

• Like 2

This is just a general statement.  Not arguing with anyone.  I get SO TIRED of people who think every camera needs to be perfect to fit their needs!!!!  Getting tired of the trashers and you know who you are.  You all make for humorous reading, however.  I love the Leica T.  Not perfect.  No camera is!!!!  If it doesn't suit you, what does it matter to you.  Why do you have to come up here and pee on it and people who own it????

I'm not arguing with anyone either, I'm just expressing my opinion, on a Leica discussion forum, which is mostly the point of such forums. Why come on here and pee on people who may voice opinions you don't agree with? Just ignore this if it upsets you. 

I agree with you there is no perfect camera, that is way I own a number of cameras for different purposes. I even own one that is very similar to the T in many ways, a Canon M. It too is APS-C, has a touch screen interface and can take M lenses with an adaptor (although I use it with Canon AF lenses). With the very good standard zoom lens it cost me a tenth of the price of a T body and it has more features such as sensor cleaning. 

I actually quite like using it and I'm sure the T would be very similarly enjoyable to use. But IMHO it's simply not worth the price and from anecdotal information I admit, it seems that there aren't enough people who disagree with me. Maybe the T2 if/when it is made will change that, who knows. 

This thread is about the question of whether or not Leica will expand on the T system with new lenses and bodies. At the moment nobody knows the answer to that (or at least they can't say). 

• Like 1

Agreed, well said BB.

I have a proliferation of "older" Leica digital, dating back to the Digilux 4.3, and with the "later" additions of X1, X-Vario, and now T.

All are wonderful, and all are "comprimised" in some way, but all are loved. By comprimised, I mean for example, the X1, gorgeous, but slow (now, but possibly quite decent when it was released).. The X-Vario, wonderful as a travel camera, believe me, I have just returned with a swag of files from it, but the nay-sayers tell me the lens is too slow.  The T, well, I am in my early days with it. As a digital back for my small collection of M glass it is perfect, and I will eventually buy an AF T lens at some stage. Style/substance? Don't know, don'y care.

So, if you have them, use them. If you have never had them, just allow those that do have them to enjoy them, I certainly am.

Gary

Well said Gary … far too much criticism within the forum by those whose seek to try and trash Leica cameras at the slightest opportunity and without having used the cameras for any length of time … if at all. 

BB's PP opinion of such criticism says it all!! 

dunk

• Like 2

Yeah, maybe Dunk, but I also respect James' opinion, as he is entitled to it, same as I am, and we are.

I'd certainly take on board the comments if he had owned and used the said camera(s) for a while, not sure if he has actually owned the T, but again, each to their own. It's what makes up this world.

Gary

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This thread is about the question of whether or not Leica will expand on the T system with new lenses and bodies.

Oh, but they will. I have a hunch we will hear more about the T camera system soon. (It has been ‘T camera system’ for some time now, not ‘T system’, as some other company took offence with the latter.)

Edited by mjh
  • Like 3

Thank you Gary. 

I don't own a T but as I mentioned above I did buy a Canon M, which has also received a lot of bad press for its design and 'slow' AF, but it's a camera I enjoy using and carry a lot due to it's small size and high quality results - the Canon 22mm f2 M prime is an amazing lens. I've been through the photos I took on a recent trip with it and for the most part I've just used the OOC jpegs, they're so good.

I don't agree with those who are saying that the new FF system camera will make the T obsolete, but Leica do need to show their commitment to it as a system - after all it wasn't really intended as a back up body for M users although I know it performs well enough in that role. 

It will be interesting to see if Leica announce any new T lenses in October. A fast 50mm equivalent prime for example. 

• Like 1

Oh, but they will. I have a hunch we will hear more about the T camera system soon. (It has been ‘T camera system’ for some time now, not ‘T system’, as some other company took offence with the latter.)

Now you have my full and undivided attention, here's hoping.

Gary

I'm not arguing with anyone either, I'm just expressing my opinion, on a Leica discussion forum, which is mostly the point of such forums. Why come on here and pee on people who may voice opinions you don't agree with? Just ignore this if it upsets you. 

I agree with you there is no perfect camera, that is way I own a number of cameras for different purposes. I even own one that is very similar to the T in many ways, a Canon M. It too is APS-C, has a touch screen interface and can take M lenses with an adaptor (although I use it with Canon AF lenses). With the very good standard zoom lens it cost me a tenth of the price of a T body and it has more features such as sensor cleaning. 

I actually quite like using it and I'm sure the T would be very similarly enjoyable to use. But IMHO it's simply not worth the price and from anecdotal information I admit, it seems that there aren't enough people who disagree with me. Maybe the T2 if/when it is made will change that, who knows. 

This thread is about the question of whether or not Leica will expand on the T system with new lenses and bodies. At the moment nobody knows the answer to that (or at least they can't say). 

And, I am expressing my opinion too which you don't have to read.  

Thank you Gary. 

I don't own a T but as I mentioned above I did buy a Canon M, which has also received a lot of bad press for its design and 'slow' AF, but it's a camera I enjoy using and carry a lot due to it's small size and high quality results - the Canon 22mm f2 M prime is an amazing lens. I've been through the photos I took on a recent trip with it and for the most part I've just used the OOC jpegs, they're so good.

I don't agree with those who are saying that the new FF system camera will make the T obsolete, but Leica do need to show their commitment to it as a system - after all it wasn't really intended as a back up body for M users although I know it performs well enough in that role. 

It will be interesting to see if Leica announce any new T lenses in October. A fast 50mm equivalent prime for example. 

Thanks as well James.

Then we can agree to differ. I looked at the Canon M, and didn't like what I saw, but never tried it. You have not had the T, but I can assure you the results I am getting with the older M glass (and the newer T sensor) are making me happy.

The Canon M with 22mm f2 would likely be similar to the T with the 23mm Summicron, both small, light, and fast enough for most. Of course there is a price point difference, but that goes with the territory.

So in effect we can both be happy with our lot.

I don't need/want a full frame system really, it comes at a cost, bigger everything nearly. Especially files. My only gripe is the wider lenses in the M line tend to be quite expensive. But as I said above, I am buoyed by MJH's comment.

Gary

• Like 1

This sounds promising. I only hope that mr. Kravitz is not involved this time!

APS-C Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......

14-23 (2d version)-35-50-Macro, in best possible aperture quality, with MF-ring, distance scale and macro-ring, like the Q

Edited by AndrewAM
  • Like 2

This sounds promising. I only hope that mr. Kravitz is not involved this time!

APS-C Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......Primes......

14-23 (2d version)-35-50-Macro, please, in best possible aperture quality, with MF-ring, distance scale and macro-ring, like the Q

Whatever is in the pipeline is already there … and would have probably been born at least 18 months ago. 

dunk

• Like 1

Gary, 

I like APS-C as a format and have Canon DSLR's. My Leica R lenses work well on them too. 

I bought the Canon M as I was looking for a compact to replace a C-Lux which kept getting dust on the sensor, and I wanted better image quality. 

It's no way perfect, the body is a tad too small, I use a half case for it to make it nicer to hold, and it's too easy to inadvertently change settings via the touch screen whilst carrying it. The AF is slow and you will miss shots if you try to take sports photos with it. But used within its limitations it produces lovely results, and for what I paid for mine it was an amazing bargain. I've even used my LTM Summar lens on it, but it's not really designed to be used with manual focus so it's not very practical, but fun to try. 

If Michael hints that there are other T things in the pipeline I think it can be taken as read. 

• Like 1

Whatever is in the pipeline is already there … and would have probably been born at least 18 months ago. 

dunk

Dunk,

This is only the 18th time I am asking for this improvement of the system and I have the T since July last year. I even contacted Leica in Solms with this plea. Plenty of time for Leica to acknowledge the fact they failed in giving the Summicron-prime a decent MF-solution. Even Sean Reid was telling them this before launch of the T-system, according his review 18 months ago.

And everyone is praising the functionality of the Q-lens, so they know how to do it. And the Q wasn't designed yesterday.

Edited by AndrewAM
  • Like 1

Whatever is in the T pipeline is/was probably both designed and manufactured (though not necessarily fully assembled) in the Far East and logistically could be difficult for Leica to bring to market at the originally anticipated time. Leica Camera now has a worldwide manufacturing base - their cameras and lenses are not only made in Germany and Portugal. 

dunk

Whatever is in the T pipeline is/was probably both designed and manufactured (though not necessarily fully assembled) in the Far East and logistically could be difficult for Leica to bring to market at the originally anticipated time. Leica Camera now has a worldwide manufacturing base - their cameras and lenses are not only made in Germany and Portugal. 

dunk

It isn't that they don't have control over with which new products they come out or when for that matter.

I hope they spend this 18 months well, when it is the development and expanding of the T-system is concerned.

So improvements on the concept and quality of the system and a quick roll out of new T- products is what I now hope for after 20-10.

A new SL or even M should not delay this........

Edited by AndrewAM

Yes, but your opinion is that I (or anyone else you don't agree with) should shut up, which isn't really an opinion at all. 

Funny.  I didn't say that at all.  Maybe you should try reading what I wrote and let it sink in a minute instead of jumping to rash conclusions.

Edited by billinghambaglady
  • Like 1