Leica Q: a street photographer review

Interessting review. But I have liked these quote the most. Why is everbody discussing about this feature, it comes with the camera, you don't have to use it, PERIOD!

and interesting extras: a 35mm and 50mm crop modes. While the 35mm gives you plenty of pixels the 50mm crop mode sounds a little less useful. Anyway it comes for free so it’s not something I can complain about.

• Like 1

Nice personal review, good to read you are loving the camera already after such a short time of using it. 

Great photo's, with beautiful B&W tonality. I like especially the ones with the men in suits walking across the street and in front of the billboard, like fashion shoots. I think this is the kind of photography, where the camera is made for, street and urban architecture.

My compliments and keep the pictures coming!

Edited by AndrewAM
  • Like 1

Grazie mille Eolo, e Auguri!

I enjoyed that review (saw it on Facebook last night) more than any other so far, in fact. I was just in Milan doing some black and white street photography with my Hasselblad XPan and also my Leica M - often using the 28mm cron. I really liked the photos in that review, thought they captures the street brilliantly. I had already ordered the Q primarily as a strew photographer's dream camera, which I think it will be, but also as a wonderful second body/lens combo when I want to use the M (and say a 50mm lens) or the Xpan or another film camera.

Edited by Nick De Marco
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This was the most enjoyable review I have read as well... Leica should use it in their marketing!

More importantly, I really liked your photo's. Excellent in all respects and if these are typical of the output of the Q on auto everything I am REALLY impressed. It means the camera gets out of the way and just allows you to see and record and not have to think about the mechanics at all... This makes for a very creative and 'freeing' camera to use... I wouldn't mind one as a second camera... But am worried my M would go unused...

On a side note, how much PP was there, or are these straight conversions in Lightroom or jpgs direct from the camera.

• Like 2

Stunning photography on your site and really helpful review of the Q from a real-world perspective.

Do you normally shoot this wide?  Is 28mm your preferred length for street photography?

I've been shooting 35mm for a while, then I moved to the 28mm on the M to be able on one side to get more "personal" and on the other side to be more "enviormental". So the 28mm on the Q was an easy move.

Anyway I also tried the 35 cropped mode on the Q and I'm pretty happy about it.

Thanks !

This was the most enjoyable review I have read as well... Leica should use it in their marketing!

More importantly, I really liked your photo's. Excellent in all respects and if these are typical of the output of the Q on auto everything I am REALLY impressed. It means the camera gets out of the way and just allows you to see and record and not have to think about the mechanics at all... This makes for a very creative and 'freeing' camera to use... I wouldn't mind one as a second camera... But am worried my M would go unused...

On a side note, how much PP was there, or are these straight conversions in Lightroom or jpgs direct from the camera.

Yes, those are typical Q pictures. There is some post production but nothing more than some local contrast and dodge and burn equivalent. The original pics were just a bit less contrasted. I normally shoot very greyish and then I add contrast where neeeded.

Thanks

• Like 1

"This is not going to be a typical review and I’m not going to be too technical. What interests me is to share real world experiences on the field, trying to understand the pros and cons of the new Leica Camera."

This type of review has become the typical type of review. All you need is an opinion and most people seem to be able to come up with one of those, having used this camera or not. Thanks for your efforts all the same.

• Like 2

That's very harsh imo. Most of the reviews I've read of the Q so far have been the usual boring office based specs regurgitation, with a couple of hours shooting outside done almost as an afterthought.

Eola, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for your brief but interesting review of using the Q on the street. Fine pictures. Although I have used a 28mm lens on my Leica for very many years, I am not sure about going out with just that focal length. But I do like the discipline of one camera one lens for short shooting periods. Like many people, I do wish Leica would respect serious owners's wishes for DNG only selection on modern digital cameras.

• Like 1

I'm not planning to buy a Q in a short time (never say never!) but found your review interesting because based on a  "real life" experience. Interesting comments and good images.

Thanks for them. Grazie

robert

• Like 1