Leica Q vs Leica M9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I liked Jono Slack's chickens quite a lot and  there is a poster from Rome who has done good work in B/W.  http://www.walkingph...tography-review

Part of the problem with many reviews is that one techie's snap of his partner or pet is very much like everyone else's.

Edited by Geoffrey James

Ok, just got email from Leica customer service  from Switzerland with apologizes saying that last another M-9P they have  I. The stock is also affected by sensor corrosion. 

So, new dilemma - change the sensor and buy 28 Elmarit  or buy new Summilux 28 and use it with my M240...

Maybe this will help The M9 is a film camera retrofitted to shoot digital. The M240 is step closer to a digital camera but still in its soul a film camera outfitted to be a bit more like a digital camera. The Q is a digital camera first adapted for some of the attributes of a film camera but it's soul is pure digital. I have a dlux 4 and now the q and the Q seems a much higher end version of it. I had a M9 and it was nothing like the Q. Sold the M9 after more than 30,000 shots to help finance the Q. Why? Because I prefer film and have an MA and want my digital camera to be just that and the Q fits the bill. If you are betwixt and between film and digital get the M9 or M240. Eventually the Q and 240 will morph into one version. when? Who knows but I am not going to lose time waiting. Hope this helps. BTW. I love the M9 and in some ways I think it delivered a better person photo BUT the Q dng can really be manipulated well beyond the M9 especially in bringing back clipped highlights

• Like 2

Ok, just got email from Leica customer service  from Switzerland with apologizes saying that last another M-9P they have  I. The stock is also affected by sensor corrosion. 

So, new dilemma - change the sensor and buy 28 Elmarit  or buy new Summilux 28 and use it with my M240...

This weekend I was shooting with my M9, and I was stunned by the kinds of colours and clarity it produced.  I had almost forgotten just how much I love M9 colour and overall 'look'.  Having said that, the M9 and Elmarit is a very different camera from the Q in so many ways.  I haven't seen enough Q DNG's, but my main concern is whether I will be able to wrangle M9 colour and pop from the Q.

Regarding Elmarit and M9 vs Summilux and M240: is there anything stopping you from buying the Summilux to use with your M9?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you kept your M9-P because you like the look of the CCD sensor so much that you didn't want to get rid of it even after you got the M240, then I would not expect miracles from the Q. Just my two cents.

Are you still using your M9-P or is it collecting dust? The Q is the shiny new toy, and that is always alluring.

Edited by BerndReini

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments! Based on all pros and cons I have decided to:

1. Change the sensor on my new M-9P and live with that camera whatever could happens again with the sensor. 

2. New Q is great but based on my personal feelings I just can't say This Camera is Mine

3. I'm sure that next M would be with autofocus and with interchangeable lenses - this is obvious way for development of Leica M series for me.

4. So, once new M or Q with interchangeable lenses is announced I will definitely rid off M240 and jump in to that new story.

5. M-9P / M 240 with Elmarit 28, Lux 35 and Lux 50 just all I need now. New Lux 28 still too expensive and I just can't afford it meanwhile. There always shoud be something to dream about:)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...