Thoughts on the T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you have any links to stats you mention? I've posted links to CIPA which shows a generally similar % decline in sales for DSLR's and ILC's.

It may be that stats differ in some regions of course. The CIPA stats probably don't include Leica T sales but as they are a tiny % of the overall market they're not going to skew the overall trend shown.

As I've said I'm curious that Leica said they couldn't compete in the DSLR market but chose instead to enter the ILC market which is arguably more competitve than the DSLR market yet is also less than a third of the size. I guess when the T was on the drawing board the expectations may have been that ILC camera sales were going to sky rocket and they wanted on board. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Given that ILC sales are dropping, along with overall camera sales, it will be interesting to see what Leica decide to do with the next T camera model. I honestly don't think they will produce a DSLR but in hindsight, that may have given them a better chance of growing their user base as well as making a more interesting 2nd camera alternative for M users (specfically for those who need telephoto/zoom capability).

This seems to tell a different story:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6223902518/sony-rides-wave-of-us-mirrorless-sales-surge

Indeed it does. That is however a Sony press release and they're quoting selectively. It may well be that sales of specific models are up in the US but the global stats show an overall decline. Sony are losing money too. 

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/sony-on-road-to-recovery-thanks-to-strong-ps4-and-camera-sensor-sales/

That is however a Sony press release and they're quoting selectively. 

Obviously, two slightly different periods as well, which also might make a difference..

Edited by JorisV

Thom Hogan seems to pay attention to the stats for this sort of thing.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/i-might-have-been-wrong.html

Mike.

Quote from link "Mirrorless remains behind where it was last year (91.6%), as do DSLRs (93.4%). In the supposed mirroreless-crazy Japan, mirrorless shipments dropped to 78.7% of last years’ units" 

He goes on to mention the Sony press release which puts their claims into perspective. You can get market research to say pretty much anything you want if you use the information selectively. 

So, as I have already said, sales are down. DSLR's market share (overall) haven't dropped as much as mirrorless, according to Thom Hogans article. 

DSLR's market share (overall) haven't dropped as much as mirrorless, according to Thom Hogans article.

The CIPA data he quoted show a steady decline of DSLR shipments during the last three years (2012–2014) whereas mirrorless shipments were fairly stable. The first four months of 2015 show no significant change compared to 2014 for either category but then that’s just four months.

• Like 1

I really enjoy my T (and the M it enticed me to purchase). I also appreciate the manufacturing of the T. The snap on cases are a poorly designed disaster, however. I like the miniot wood snap on cover, though you still have to take the lens of to remove it.

Oh man, lots of opinions up here and putting words in other photographers mouths like we all share the same thoughts.  I have long shot with an M camera since the M6 and owned several over the years and now with an M240.  Also own a Canon 5D which has it's place.  I absolutely love the Leica T.  Many reasons.  Can adapt all my M lenses.  Still have one R lens, apo macro 100mm and use it on the T too.  But most of all, this camera is just the right size and feel, it makes me WANT to take photos and carry around always!  Compared to my M, that I treat as too 'precious', this is a big improvement. 

Sometimes, it is not the features and diddling in the bits that makes a good piece of equipment.  If you love the camera, that is all that matters.  

• Like 10