Thoughts on the T

Every iteration of X has been faster than the one before.  X1 was the only that was really slow, X2 was fine in good light,

Good light is rare  beast  , the x2 gets confused with shadows

Where the X line always excelled, however, was manual focus

Nowhere near as good as  m, some nikon cosina etc lenses

Edited by Imants

...............used them yes they are a waste in comparison with what is out there in the market. There is a heap out there better and cheaper,  but seeing you have Leica blinkers so be it your loss.......... it no skin off me

ps get yourself a Q    I would if I was in the market to buy right now  probably will when the craziness dies down never  saw the T or X as  having any edge over  cameras

Edited by Imants

But what about the S system. That is a new DSLR system, with a new format. Why didn't Leica go mirrorless for the S?

They would if the S2 was developed now. But back in 2008 this wasn’t an option. For one thing there were no CMOS sensors available for MF at the time.

My statement that “I doubt we will ever see a new DSLR system, from any vendor” is about the future, not the past.

• Like 5

So those situations only need a second rate camera, ...ok got that

So you are a troll, got that.

FWIW, I have an M-E and an M Monochrom, I use the X when I want automation, the ability to pass the camera to a non-photographer and be I. Some of the pictures, etc.

the results from the X are never disappointing and are right up there with the M.  It's an outstanding camera, but having never used one you wouldn't have a clue about it.

...............used them yes they are a waste in comparison with what is out there in the market. There is a heap out there better and cheaper,  but seeing you have Leica blinkers so be it your loss.......... it no skin off me

ps get yourself a Q    I would if I was in the market to buy right now  probably will when the craziness dies down never  saw the T or X as  having any edge over  cameras

For what it's worth, I also own a Fuji X-T1 and an X-Pro1.  And I used to own a Sony A7s which I sold (while keeping the T).

Although "the Internet" says that the X-T1 and A7s are good and the Leica T is bad I didn't feel that the T was a waste compared to those cameras, on the contrary.

Obviously your mileage may vary, and your usage of the camera might be different, and that's fine, but I am sure that there are a lot of people getting good usage out of the APS-C sized Leica cameras.

The thread was about thoughts on the T and mine are that it was a waste of R&D by Leica  there is/was far too much competition in that range  The Q is probably the best thing they have done all be it a bit late to put a real stamp on the camera market before too much fades into the Smarphone market. Smartphones killed the point snd shoot  the APS is next in the sights and it won't be too long before  the impact is felt.

Edited by Imants
  • Like 1

That's where you are  Mr Fish used and discarded the x are the same as the T Got that?

Excuse me?

How are the X and T discarded?  I use and enjoy mine almost every day.  Used it for a family event last night with great results.

I am on the fence still to buy a T, and these discussions are interesting.  For me it is the cost that is the sore point however there are many benefits to the T system :

• autofocus option whilst being also able to use my M lenses
  • fantastic design - yes I love the design of the T
  • compact size
  • Image quality as far as I can see is great.  Not full frame M great but is enough for me, which is an important point [my GXR produces shots that are good enough]

Also to the point that smartphones will take over APSC, I highly doubt it.  How will they compete with the lenses for starters, which makes a camera really.

• Like 1

I am on the fence still to buy a T, and these discussions are interesting.  For me it is the cost that is the sore point however there are many benefits to the T system :

• autofocus option whilst being also able to use my M lenses
  • fantastic design - yes I love the design of the T
  • compact size
  • Image quality as far as I can see is great.  Not full frame M great but is enough for me, which is an important point [my GXR produces shots that are good enough]

Also to the point that smartphones will take over APSC, I highly doubt it.  How will they compete with the lenses for starters, which makes a camera really.

That guy is just a troll.  The T is expensive,mall Leica's are,  but it is a great system with far better lenses than anything else in its class.

• Like 1

That guy is just a troll.  The T is expensive,mall Leica's are,  but it is a great system with far better lenses than anything else in its class.

Yes, as far as I can see the T system is really nice and I do hope it continues to be developed for.  I think the lens's are the concern over everything else as I don't want to invest in a T lens and not be able to use it moving forward.  I am considering a Summarit 35mm lens over the 23mm T [already have a 18mm & 28mm M lens], however the 23 and T seem to me to be the perfect combination [compact with great quality].

Yes, as far as I can see the T system is really nice and I do hope it continues to be developed for.  I think the lens's are the concern over everything else as I don't want to invest in a T lens and not be able to use it moving forward.  I am considering a Summarit 35mm lens over the 23mm T [already have a 18mm & 28mm M lens], however the 23 and T seem to me to be the perfect combination [compact with great quality].

The 35 Summarit is OUTSTANDING, my favorite 35mm lens on both film and digital.

Enjoy whatever .................   x marks the spot   gotcha Mr Fish  http://www.etrouko.com/dsa.html   .................. The T  will never mature as a system

Wow, you really have nothing whatsoever to contribute to a conversation.  Go ahead, take the last word.  I will no longer acknowledge your existence.

I'm surprised at you James ;)

DSLRs are on the way out. Even the sales figures have finally shifted not only in Europe but CSCs are going up and DSLRs are going down

Why have all that manual, noisy, vibrationy mirror flicking

You may not like the T user interface, and it may not appeal to traditional Leica folk, but Leica can make any type of body it wants for the T mount

• Like 2

DSLRs are on the way out. Even the sales figures have finally shifted not only in Europe but CSCs are going up and DSLRs are going down

You may not like the T user interface, and it may not appeal to traditional Leica folk, but Leica can make any type of body it wants for the T mount

And with its short flange distance and wide throat, it is easily adaptable to M and R lenses as well as full-frame.

• Like 1

The T is my first Leica camera. I have tried optical rangefinder Leica's in the past, but did not like it (after having used SLRs with through the lens viewers for so long).

I am very satisfied with the T: it does exactly what it promises, after the 1.310 FW update. And it is portable. I have the 23mm and the 18-56mm and both are very satisfying.

I do not give a damn about what Leica should have introduced and what not. This T is what I bought and I am satisfied.

• Like 1

I like to surprise people!

Do you have any links to stats you mention? I've posted links to CIPA which shows a generally similar % decline in sales for DSLR's and ILC's.

It may be that stats differ in some regions of course. The CIPA stats probably don't include Leica T sales but as they are a tiny % of the overall market they're not going to skew the overall trend shown.

As I've said I'm curious that Leica said they couldn't compete in the DSLR market but chose instead to enter the ILC market which is arguably more competitve than the DSLR market yet is also less than a third of the size. I guess when the T was on the drawing board the expectations may have been that ILC camera sales were going to sky rocket and they wanted on board. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Given that ILC sales are dropping, along with overall camera sales, it will be interesting to see what Leica decide to do with the next T camera model. I honestly don't think they will produce a DSLR but in hindsight, that may have given them a better chance of growing their user base as well as making a more interesting 2nd camera alternative for M users (specfically for those who need telephoto/zoom capability).

They clearly chose the 'boutique' market with the T instead, making much of its hand polished body and colourful accessories (snap on covers etc). I just wonder if there's enough of a market for Leica with such a product in an already shrinking market. Time will tell.

In the meantime I'm glad that T owners are happy with their choice.