Delivery status Leica M 246

SiggiGun

Picking mine up Wednesday morning, with new 35 and 50 Summicron lenses. Haven't been this excited about a camera purchase for a long time.

Turns out my total waiting time is about 5 weeks from placing the order, which is pretty good under the circumstances....

Picked up my little beauty last night, Taking her out for a little play this weekend.

Hopefully Sydney will be nice in the weather department.

My MM is still waiting for a sensor replacement, so time to get out and about to see what all the noise is about.

I am on the waiting list at my dealer.  I already have the original Monochrom, so I can wait, but I am curious.  My dealer told me that arrivals are very slow and they haven't seen anything in a few weeks.  He said, expect a long wait.  Is that what others are hearing?

That is what I am hearing as well. One dealer i have done business with has a waiting list of folks that have put down a $1,000 deposit. If I wanted to do so, I would be number 7 on their list. At the rate they are getting them in, I would be waiting 6 to 8 weeks they guessed.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Picked mine up on Wednesday, as promised by the dealer after complaints to Leica Camera Australia.  Problem is that even though the camera shop is an authorised Leica Boutique, the two cameras supplied filled back orders, so any prospective buyers will also face some significant wait time.

Overall, I'm very happy with a delivery time of five weeks, for a new model that's in demand. But communication from the factory down the line could be vastly improved so that people placing a deposit can make an informed decision about a roughly accurate delivery time.

Picked up my little beauty last night, Taking her out for a little play this weekend.

Hopefully Sydney will be nice in the weather department.

Hey dazza, even sunny Queensland is experiencing a cold and windy snap, so I don't imagine that condiitons in Sydney will be too conducive to outdoors shooting!   Enjoy your new acquisition :>)

I was reliably told that no deliveries and no prospect for deliveries. There is a problem.

Mine was made June 11, so obviously further batches have been made.  Another forum member (SereneM) reports a camera made 18 June.

Sounds like a regularly functioning production line...

Got my M246 about three months ago, but realized that the sensor was defective (getting vertical line edge to edge on the photos) and returned it back to Leica dealer. Waiting for the new one coming next week hopefully. Leica needs to pay more attention to their quality control process. For $7k+ product, I expect more.

Edited by faranstudio

I was reliably told that no deliveries and no prospect for deliveries. There is a problem.

My M246 was produced June 26, according to its box label. I purchased it in Frankfurt, and there was another body at Leica Park that day too.

The camera is just fantastic. I mean really superb.

I'm in the same boat as you.

I ordered mine 3rd week of May...was told a couple weeks later from B&H "by end of June".

if anyone knows of a reputable dealer with a new one in an unopened box, please let me know and I'll cancel this damn thing and get it from them today.

Edited by summers_jm

Picked mine up yesterday afternoon (7/17). Called the dealer in the AM, local Leica rep was there said one (only one) should be in that days delivery, I was there at 2pm and so was my new M246.  They are just trickling in - mine has been on order since May.

Edited by PeterP

By way of anther forum member, I contacted a small dealer in Kentucky and they said they would have another on in a few weeks but you hear that all the time.

that was on July 2. Well yesterday they called and asked if I was still wanting the 246 and I said yes. It was shipped yesterday and will be here next Tuesday the 21st. It pays to check out the smaller dealers and ask if they have any on order. You just might get lucky. I will report what the date is on the inspection card once I have it.

I wonder how Leica decides on the allocation. Do boutiques get a larger share than the box shops? Is every authorized dealer on equal footing? Is it a factor of sales history?

Based on the anecdotal reports, it seems the Leica stores have less availability (or perhaps a longer list) than the generic camera stores. Given an apparent production rate of one camera per day, I fear I may not live long enough to see one of these.

Unless things have changed, the allocation scheme is a closely guarded secret.  Not even the regional Leica sales rep had any real details - or deliberately chose to pretend he didn't - on how/when the allocations are made.  Empirical evidence (and the belief of that rep I spoke to) would suggest that all dealers are certainly not treated equal.  Volume of sales probably has a great deal to do with it, with the exception being certain very large dealers such as B&H - they seem to get much less than what might be considered their normal allotment immediately after a major product is launched.  Otherwise they would suck up all available supply.

The challenge for an individual trying to locate a hard-to-find product is that the heavier volume dealers (and well-known boutiques like the official Leica Stores) almost certainly get more supply.  But they also have much longer lists.  

When the M8 was first introduced and in short supply I was able to snag one at very small dealer a couple hours away.  Being persistent (calling around every few days) paid off.

My guess is that between the expanded manufacturing capability at Wetzlar and the M246 customer base being a - relatively - niche market, supply will catch up with demand within the next couple of months.

• 2 weeks later...