Delivery status Leica M 246

SiggiGun

Translate for the non-German-speakers here:

Does anybody know whether there are delivery delays on the new Monochrom at the moment?

SiggiG, on 16 Jun 2015 - 16:39, said:

Hallo Forum

Hat jemand eine Idee, ob im Moment Lieferenpässe bestehen für die neue Monochrom?

Vielen Dank

• Like 1

I was told today, June 18, by my camera store not to expect an M(246)'s until August or September due to a manufacturing problem.  This is contrary to what I was told a few weeks ago by my store rep that I could expect my M246 the "middle of June".  Well, here we are in the middle of June and no M246's for my camera retaier.  I am number one on their list.  Now the store's shipment is delayed, per the Leica Rep to August or September due to the above problem.  

Did my retailer get a bunch of BS from the Leica Rep, or has anyone else heard of this new manufacturing problem?  I have not been able to find any other internet site reporting of this manufacturing delay.

Thanks in advance for any information pro or con...

Jim

I dithered a bit but put an order in a couple of weeks after launch (ie after the initial feeding frenzy) and I've just been informed that mine arrived in my UK dealer yesterday, 18 June. 

I walked into Leica Singapore today and picked up one, along with an APO-Summicron 50. I'm a Leica virgin, and am happily waiting for the battery to charge.

What a great combo with which to start your Leica experience. Enjoy! :)

• Like 1

I was told today, June 18, by my camera store not to expect an M(246)'s until August or September ...

Neither my local Leica boutique nor Leica Australia will quantify waiting period.  I was initially told three weeks, but now both sources tell me time unknown - so something has changed in the supply chain...

EoinC is lucky to live in SIngapore - I visited that store last year and enjoyed the images in display in the adjacent gallery.  Just being able to walk in and buy body and lens of your choice sounds like a dream to those of us in less favoured markets.

Edited by Pjay

Neither my local Leica boutique nor Leica Australia will quantify waiting period.  I was initially told three weeks, but now both sources tell me time unknown - so something has changed in the supply chain...

EoinC is lucky to live in SIngapore - I visited that store last year and enjoyed the images in display in the adjacent gallery.  Just being able to walk in and buy body and lens of your choice sounds like a dream to those of us in less favoured markets.

I think I was a bit lucky on timing for both to be in stock. I've ordered a 35mm Summilux, which is not currently in stock. I'll get the 2nd one to arrive in Singapore (someone ordered one the day before me).

I took the combo out today, and came to terms (sort of) with the harsh early afternoon Singapore lighting. I also had a little play with the macro-adapter. I need to do more experimentation with it - It was a bit windy for getting close and personal with flowers.

18977044526_0444af275a_b.jpgb006 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 1

I ordered mine day 1 and still have nothing. From everything I was told I was very close to the top of the list but yet still nothing. I buy all of my Leica gear from what I would think would be a very prominent Leica store, always place my orders immediately at release and yet cannot get any product. Same situation with the Q although I realize that it is much newer than the m246. 

As much as I love Leica (and I love them a lot) the lack of product availability and service times are starting to weigh on me. 

As much as I love Leica (and I love them a lot) the lack of product availability and service times are starting to weigh on me. 

Sometimes there's a suspcicion of a deliberate ploy to generate an air of 'exclusivity'. Last August I ordered a BMW RnineT motorcycle and finally took delivery in January.  Keeping demand high and supply low can be quite intentional at times, but I've spoken to people who just gave up and cancelled their order...

When I was thinking about the first iteration of the Monochrom, they too seemed to be perpetually on back order, so that's what I half expected on this occasion as well.

As a rule, most copies of a camera model are bought during the first months after its introduction. Leica could expand their manufacturing capacity even further to cope with the inital demand but then, what would they do once the demand has dropped to a normal, steady level? A first batch of 500 units was available when the new MM was introduced; now that these are sold the demand exceeds the supply and prospective buyers may have to wait for a few weeks.

Edited by mjh

now that these are sold the demand exceeds the supply and prospective buyers may have to wait for a few weeks.

You make it sound like they only release cameras in big batches, which would be a stupid way to go about business. But there isn't even a trickle of cameras getting to dealers at the moment never mind all they have orders for. Yet again Leica have f**ked up. Build the 'effing cameras before you release the damned thing, what could be simpler than that? .....Unless despite the premium Leica charge for their products they are relying on an initial uptake to pay for the costs of going foreword, in which case we are not only paying a premium price, we are bankrolling the company to make the stuff we want. Now that is not a good situation to be in, it may be a good time to get out of Leica altogether if all they can do is sell one in order to build two.

Steve

Edited by 250swb

You make it sound like they only release cameras in big batches, which would be a stupid way to go about business.

Cameras are usually manufactured in batches. The inital batch available at the introduction was 500 copies, whether that is big or small is up to you. Now that the demand is high Leica may be churning out MM non-stop, but then of course they also need to manufacture the M and M-P so they cannot devote the whole of their manufacturing capacity to the MM.