Classic Metering Vs Advance Metering

Unless I have updates the rumoured FW accidentaly, Because i can select Spot, Cent, Multi in Classic mode now,

Please note that it was my first FW update straight to .7 from boxed m 240 sold June 2014!

Can u confirm ur Firm ware version?

Thanks n advance

You can select them, but they won't be activated unless you are in advanced mode. They can only be applied with an open shutter.

Thanks Jaap.

To put is simply, anything beyond the original 'classic' method of metering requires measurement off the exposed sensor and hence the very annoying shutter delay .

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

For normal hand-held work the delay with advanced mode really gives me the shits.

Will use it occasionally with tripod work.

I leave advanced mode off.

If I'm on a tripod, I get advanced mode automatically when I turn on live view. And live view is usually the best way to shoot while on tripod.

Unless I have updates the rumoured FW accidentaly, Because i can select Spot, Cent, Multi in Classic mode now,

Please note that it was my first FW update straight to .7 from boxed m 240 sold June 2014!

Can u confirm ur Firm ware version?

Thanks n advance

With classic metering that setting only apples to live view exposure. Remember, for live view the shutter is open. Classic metering won't work.

Also note that you can quickly change to live view to use more advanced metering modes and check the reading, without needing to leave it on advanced metering in normal mode. And unlike a DSLR, the viewfinder will continue to work while live view is on. It's a rather neat method to spot meter with an M camera.

Edited by Mornnb
  • Like 1

Jaapv,

Thats understood. thanks, Wondering why havnt they left it out grayed :)

Because, as noted above, you can preselect your advanced metering option and quickly switch over by going to Live View or EVF.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Interesting, I've had my M for about a year and never explored the differences in the two metering methods (Classic vs center weighted in Live view).   Playing with it today, I noticed roughly 1.5-2 stops difference in the same scene, flipping btn the view finder and live view.

• Like 2

It seems to me (last firmware update 2.0.3.0) that you can use Advanced also with the LV switched off. And looks like Spot, Center-Weighted and Multi-Field work as well giving different light metering.

Edited by epand56

Well, you can, but when you switch "advanced" on in menu, you do hear the shutter curtain open even if the screen is not activated, AFAIK  this is unchanged from the previous firmware..

• Like 2

Excerpt of the M240's instructions manual page 180:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1