Classic Metering Vs Advance Metering

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Please ignore my ignorance as i am new to M System and thank you all in advance for your help and guidance.

I have Just updated Firmware of my M  System to Latest one.

Could some one please shed some light on M Metering systems, Advance vs Classic Vs Classic No LV

Classic with NO LV is quite understandble and i have opted for no LV since  i am not a fan of LV on RF's!

What metering do you use & Why?

I do understand the sub metering modes I.e. Spot etc however could not really come across details about advanced.

Once again pls ignore the ignorance and thank you from new member here :)

Regards

Tim

Edited by tatetate

Just to Add,

On Previous firmware version, Classic Metering was sole type of metering with no selectable sub types ie. spot , central etc.

I can see with new firmware being installed, I can opt for Spot, Central and Full Metering in Classic Metering Mode.

If you are not using LV, there is only one available option, i.e. "classic" in which the exposure is center weighted on an area equal to about 1/3 of the sensor area and done using three light detectors placed in the bottom of the bayonet which measure the light reflected from the gray stripes painted on the metal shutter curtain.

Using LV you have the option to choose among classic, which is center weighted same as above but measured on the sensor, spot and multi field.

To the best of my knowledge the only change introduced with the latest FW is the addition of Classic/LV Disabled which prevents the accidental activation of LV. Without LV the classic mode only is possible.

Without LV you can use Classic or Advanced metering, not only Classic

(Fw 2.0.1.7)

Yes the other sub options are not grayed out (and this is confusing) but they are actually not available. You can experiment yourself, choose classic in the main menù and for instance multi field in the set menù, take a shot and then check in the exif data (with Lightroom or with any other suitable exif viewer) which metering mode the camera actually used 

You can set the kind of advanced metering to be used in advanced metering mode, even when advanced metering is currently turned off. As far as I remember it has always been that way, regardless of the firmware version. And advanced metering is not tied to live view; you can use advanced metering without activating live view. You still have to accept an increased shutter lag as the shutter needs to open and close for metering first, followed by the actual exposure. Classic metering is much faster.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Do you get sub options in set menu for Classic Metering? 

There are indeed sub options in the set menu but they are disabled in Classic mode. They should be grayed out, as suggested above, to avoid any possible confusion.

Yes, you can set any non classic metering mode in the set menù, even if the classic mode is selected in the main menù, but if the LV is off only the center weighted method will work. I have just double checked taking four shots   two without LV and two with LV starting from classical mode selected in the main menù and changing the set sub menu to spot and multi spot: Without LV the exif data  always say center weighted , no matter if spot or multi spot was selected. With LV on, on the contrary, all the advanced option are correctly used as desired and the corresponding setting  is registered in the exif data. Easy to try

Edited by Ario Arioldi

There are indeed sub options in the set menu but they are disabled in Classic mode. They should be grayed out, as suggested above, to avoid any possible confusion.

The key to use or to exclude the advanced mode is the LV switch which, in order to avoid mistakes, after the most recent FW,can be permanently switched off by selecting "classic mode without LV", in the main menù so that the LV button switch is deactivated.

Edited by Ario Arioldi

I have just double checked taking four shots   two without LV and two with LV starting from classical mode selected in the main menù and changing the set sub menu to spot and multi spot: Without LV the exif data  always say center weighted , no matter if spot or multi spot was selected.

Of course you have to switch to advanced metering first; just selecting spot or multi-field won’t do. With advanced metering enabled (Light Metering Mode = Advanced) you can use those advanced metering options even without live view. See page 180 of the manual where this is explained. ‘Exposure metering’ selects the metering method to be used in advanced mode but you need to switch to ‘Advanced’ in the ‘Light Metering Mode’ menu to activate the selected method. When using live view this isn’t necessary but if you want to use the advanced metering options outside live view it is.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When Advanced metering is selected and I switch on the camera I hear clearly the sound of the shutter opening (and exposing the sensor), which does no happen when LV is inhibited in one way or an other (for instance by mean of Classic mode without LV). This is why  it seems to me that with this selection the camera is in LV mode even if non signal is transmitted to the viewfinder or to the rear Lcd screen. 

Advanced metering is based on the image sensor rather than the dedicated light metering used in classic mode. This requires opening the shutter for metering, resulting in added noise and an increased shutter lag, as mentioned above. Still with the light metering mode set to ‘Advanced’ and live view turned off, you get no live view; the image sensor is only used for metering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advanced metering is based on the image sensor rather than the dedicated light metering used in classic mode. This requires opening the shutter for metering, resulting in added noise and an increased shutter lag, as mentioned above. Still with the light metering mode set to ‘Advanced’ and live view turned off, you get no live view; the image sensor is only used for metering.

Now it is clear, when I was referring to LV It was with reference to the sensor being permanently exposed for metering and not to the signal received by the viewfinder or by the Lcd.

Ario, 

From what i have read over period of time and understood, Advance exposes sensor to do the calculations, however classic is same old conventional metering.

Since i have come from relatively old firmware, 

In classic mode ( With LV or WIth out LV) Sub Options Like Spot, Centre, Multi used to be grayed out.

but you have answered them by selecting them each and it says centre in LR!

By reading above post, I have noticed that still few are  unaware of this new Classic sub options, which were grayed out in past.

I will try them today to see if results are same.

Sadly no content from Leica is availble in intruction manual as they were printed for old firmwares.

Best

Tim

Edited by tatetate