Leica Q lens hood - doesn't lock into place?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Picked up my Q today. So far,very pleased.  But I have an issue with the lens hood - it does not appear to lock into place after screwing it into the thread at the end of the lens.  It's not a tight fit, and there doesn't appear to be a locking mechanism to keep it from rotating in use.  I'm hoping I'm missing something here.  Thoughts?

and just to be sure, you did remove the retaining ring first right?

and FYI- that last bit seems like you went too far...mine is super tight

Yes, I removed the retaining ring first (the ring that reveals the thread onto which the hood is screwed).

There was no tightness at all anywhere in the process of screwing the hood on.  Its was super-loose all the way through, right up to the hard stop.  I didn't apply any pressure because I didn't have to, thanks to it being loose.

And BTW, the retaining ring screws in very tight.  So I suspect the issue is with the hood itself, maybe having a thread that is one or two twists too deep/long.

Edited by Feudal1

I presume this should be like the hood on the WATE which just comes up against a stop at the right moment but doesn't actually 'lock' into place. Sounds like something maybe wrong if it is really loose.

Anyway I am wondering if this lens really needs the hood? I hardly ever used mine on the summicron 28 asph as it was so resistant to flare and 99% of the time I saw no actual improvement in IQ due to it's use

Edited by viramati

Probably not, but it looks cool :)

(Also offers a bit of protection of course.)

The protection is the most import aspect of the hood for me.  I'm going to work with the dealer and am contacting Leica to see what they can do.  The camera itself is really great, but I'm very disappointed in the hood issue.

Yes agreed, that's mainly why I use it too (I don't bother with a lens cap then). Sorry to hear about your issue, mine is fine in this respect too (although there's no separate "lock position" as I think some have implied - it just screws up very tight).

Got off the phone with Leica - understandably, they don't have any parts for the Q, and little knowledge of issues yet, being it's a new camera.  The guy I talked to mentioned that perhaps there was a missing rubber/silicone ring from in the hood or on the lens.  You guys see anything like that?  I would be surprised if that was the case - the protective ring that you unscrew to reveal the hood thread screws in pretty tight itself.  It really feels like a manufacturing issue with my particular hood and the threads that were routed into the hood interior.

How many full rotations does it take for your hood to reach the point where it's tight?  I rotate my hood 3 full rotations before it hits the hard stop and can go no further.

Thanks very much!  I'm trying to get all the information I have to try to get this figured out.

Edited by Feudal1

It's three rotations here too. There actually is a silicon ring on the lens, at the base of the thread. It's very thin and I wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Check the ring - the one that you take off the camera in order to reveal the thread for the hood. Chances are, the rubber or silicon ring is stuck to this part and was removed with it.

Other than that - of course, you can just go back to the dealer and have him take care of this (as suggested above)

• Like 1

The issue with replacing the whole camera is that none are available.  I've been chatting with Leica, and my camera is indeed missing that thin rubber/silicone ring.  Parts aren't available as of yet, so I'm checking on what my options are.