Leica Q lens hood - doesn't lock into place?

Haven't taken delivery yet, so no opinion about the merits or otherwise of this hood, which I like the look of, but wonder why Leica didn't do the usual Leica thing and make it a neat clip on.

Because, like I said before, the clip on is no longer the "usual" Leica thing. They have introduced the screw in hood with the WATE and most recent lenses use it: all Summarits, old f2.5 and new f2.4, and the brand new Summilux 28

My hood is extremly thight as well, any idea about the size of the thread? It looks like E62 but not sure about that and I want to buy a 3rd party hood and lens cap. The ones delivered with the camera are beautiful pieces of equipment but not very useful. I can´t turn the polarizer when the hood is mounted and taking of the cap or putting it back on the lens, without scratching the outer surface of the lens, takes far to long for my taste. Don´t get me wrong, I love that little baby and I really like the fact that there is a hood in the box but for me the cheap B&W rubber hood and the Kaiser plastic cap will do the job more easy. Any other options you are using?

btw. before I receive the good advise to ask the manufacturer for the size of the thread, I have asked Leica a couple of days ago but no answer yet...

I think the Q has the wrong thread to simply use some other hood... the inner thread (for filters) is E49 und you'll be able to get lots of stuff on eBay for that

The cap, by the way, loosens up with regular use. It shouldn't scratch the camera because there is some cushion on the inside that keeps the hood in place.

• 2 months later...

Just received mine.

The hood screws on but does not stay tightly in place, I cannot see a rubber ring.

The rubber ring is on the lens (not the hood) and you should be able to see it and if not at least you can feel it with a finger nail. if it is missing then the hood will not tighten properly

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rub your finger on your nose and then the thread of the hood. Nose "oil" is the best lubricant for filters and hoods.

They won't bind up and it makes them easier to screw on that last few bits to lock in.

My Q has the silicon O ring but was dry so very hard to screw on and lock the hood. The nose lube fixed it and it glides on and locks in like new. 

Have used this lube for years. 

Edited by Big T