Shutter Noise and the M8...a discussion??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can’t think of many instances where noise from the camera shutter, adds to the process of photography.  Maybe some people-subjects like the sound, knowing the photo is finished… 

Some really clunky noises out there in camera-land. My Fuji 690SWII sounds like a toy spring shutter…and then needs a double wind…  the Canon 60D is enormously noisy with a massive mirror slaps and recock combined. 

My most discrete cameras are the modern Canon Powershots…in-lens shutters…essentially silent. Even quieter than a Barnack... -_-

What was the sound of the Leicavit like??? The Motor-M also made noise. The DSLR clacking at press and presidentials. The M8 sounds like electro-mechanical film winding to me.

Web research over the last 3 years since I became a Leica nut shows no references to the “nice sound of the shutter”.  Everyone loves to hate the shutter-recock sound.  A huge urban myth, I suggest. Perhaps it is an OK sound?? Some sound must be present due to mechanical settings and movements.  (Is it another “myth”; like the pathological hatred of the UV/IR filters :o ??)

But no sound at all is preferred…forget your black tape descretionairres... B)...  It seems it’s always the sound which attracts attention…. the din which discloses the discrete.

Care to add anything on camera shutter noise??  The TLR leaf shutters where nice. The M8 delay recock is just silly really?

Cheers  Dave S  :p

I may call to mind: ( Link )

Shutter Lock
I tried running the motor directly from a 3v battery and, outside the camera, it is much quieter than when inside.
I think at least some of the excessive shutter noise comes from vibrations from the motor being amplified because it is directly mounted on the camera body.

A compliant mounting to reduce transmission might reduce the noise.

;)

Thorsten

• Like 1

...  It seems it’s always the sound which attracts attention …. 

Forget your concerns. (;-)

Obviously you never used  'The indiscreet Mode':  Continuous fast ongoing winding   -   like a machine gun :blink:  -  until the removal of the battery.  :angry:

Thorsten

#3 Note: The gold ball bearings belong to the 'switch',  not the 'Shutter'.
Edited by Dao De Leitz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The M8's shutter noise is much less a problem than its motor noise to cock the shutter IMHO. Was a pain since the beginning for me compared to the manual cocking of the Epson R-D1. Now my later digital cameras are also much quieter and this is probably the reason why i use my M8.2 so randomly now. Great camera otherwise. Remains the best digital back fo M lenses compared to other crop cameras IMHO.

• Like 2

The shutter sound is, generally, one of my most significant compaints about most cameras. The fact that some cameras, e.g. the Pentax K5 and the Olympus EP5, have shutter noise that-while not silent- is very quiet, and not at all harsh, stands as evidence that that aspect of camera function can be properly addressed. It also stands at evidence that, generally, it is usually a minor concern in the design process. In my view, such refinements as pleasant/reduced shutter noise, are the mark of a great engineering effort....One in which dedication to producing a superior product is plainly evident.

It calls to mind the door closing experience of my 1978 911sc and my (sadly, now gone)  85 MB 300 TD. Those souds, truly superb and solid, were the last thing I heard before walking away from the vehicles. Not so strangely, the sound never fails/failed to bring out the thought: "Wow, what a superb machine!"....Definitely a portion of the "pride of ownership" thing.

There is no question that photography is largely a visual puruit, but the act of taking a photograph is a process involving other senses. Certainly the sounds of a camera should be a consideration. I finally sold my A7 because of the shutter noise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After having written the above, I find that I am getting used to the sound of the shutter and rewind. I think a lot of the problem in the fact that I have the camera pressed up against my head when it occurs. It kind of reminds me of when I had my wisdom teeth pulled: they had to crack one of them to get it out of my head. I know that cracking a tooth could not possibly be as loud as it sounded  to me  when it happened.....It sounded like they were cracking my skull open.

All that said, I think I would have preferred it if Leica had gone with a manual shutter rewind. Kind of like what Epson did with the R-D1. I would gladly trade of the convenience of auto rewind for the reliability, simplicity, and low noise of manual rewind.

• Like 1

All that said, I think I would have preferred it if Leica had gone with a manual shutter rewind. Kind of like what Epson did with the R-D1. I would gladly trade of the convenience of auto rewind for the reliability, simplicity, and low noise of manual rewind.

Leica did even better…automatic and quiet…it's called the M240.

Jeff

• Like 1

I am not sure I would opt for a 240, even if it were in the cards right now. I am impressed by the fact that the 240 includes some pretty neat features, such as live view, video, evf option, and other stuff the DSLR and mirrorless cameras offer. It would allow for use of many of my legacy lenses. But, the more I think about it, I get all of those features with my Ricoh GXR. And it is not much bigger than a compact camera. And, M mount lenses are native to the A12 camera module. Packing the GXR with the M8 would almost get me to the equivalent of having a 240.....At least as far as options and features goes.

I know, I am probably out of bounds here. I have never owned a 240 and have no right to compare....But I have to reassure myself that I am OK without a 240. :)

Wayne

• Like 1

I am impressed by the fact that the 240 includes some pretty neat features, such as live view, video, evf option, and other stuff the DSLR and mirrorless cameras offer.

....But I have to reassure myself that I am OK without a 240. :)

Depends on your priorities.  I switched from the M8.2 to the M240, not based on those features at all, using it almost exclusively as a 'traditional' RF M camera.  In that regard, it simply is a more refined camera….quieter, smoother shutter release, longer battery life, faster processor, better weather sealing, better RF mechanism, better VF contrast (internally lit frame lines…and 2m optimized like the M8.2) and beautiful files (color and b/w).  And none of those extra features intrude on that experience (video and LV are easily disabled, and the EVF is optional).  But if I need it to do more, nice to know it can.

It's not about need for me….many cameras these days are capable of quality pics…it's just a more pleasant experience given my style and preferences, including the size and handling.   

I still have the M8.2….great back-up if needed.

Jeff

• Like 1

M8 & 9 sound like an explosion,  both taking the pic and rechecking.   You can use discrete mode to stop recock until the shutter button is released.  I find it a pain.

My Nikons are still too loud.

For quiet you need a leaf shutter like always.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use a half case with my Leica M8, M9, and M Monochrom. It dampens the shutter noise. The Nikon S2 (1954) is known for being loud, due to the shutter break mechanism. I met a friend, also had a Nikon S2- he asked why mine was so quiet compared to his own. The half case made the difference. Try a Zhou half case, they are not expensive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a love/hate relationship with the M8 shutter - I think it has a great, organic sound to it that almost adds a psychological joy (a la Pavlov's dogs, in a sense) with each click, but at the same time when it comes to shooting street it can be louder than I'd prefer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Ricoh GRD2 is ultra silent. As in no shutter sound. Can turn off the back display too so it's the ultimate stealth cam. I actually like the shutter noise of the M8 it makes it satisfying to use. However, even in discreet mode I found some of the people I shot on the streets while travelling turned or looked when they heard the click! Would be nice to have the option of no noise at all possibly. Although not sure how this would work from a mechanical point of view.

• Like 2

Why the anti-shutter-sound brigade never considered getting a Digilux2 for discreet situations escapes me... The M8 and to a lesser extent M8.2 and M9 have a not-too bad sound at all imo, even if it is only the photographer himself that hears most of it.

The M240 is not bad at all, I would say. The cloth curtain shutter of the film Ms will never return, I think. For a discreet "Schnick-whirr" shoot film...;)

• Like 1

1/8000th of a second means faster travel time, more force- more sound.

The faster horizontal travel shutters were 1/2000th second, Nikon used titanium foil. The titanium foil shutters in the Nikon SP were louder than the cloth curtain versions. Lots of body space required for the shutter mechanism on horizontal travel cameras.

• Like 1