Does it have bulb mode?

Anyone know how it operates in T mode? Need far longer than 30s before Michael Kenna starts to fear me. Doesn't have a threaded shutter release, so is there a timer buried in the menus? Or is there an electronic release cable hidden somewhere in the Leica options list?

Ric

If the manual is available online now, suggest all read it. One really needs to read this manual if you are an M shooter. Maybe it's smaller in size, but it packs a BIG punch.

-You can use a smartphone or tablet to capture and view images. p226. No threaded shutter release.

-it has the normal 2s or 12s self timer.

-setting on 1+ you can dial (with rear thumb wheel) the seconds down to 30s and then it reverts to T-p192. Not sure how long each exposure can be when using T.

In this post I asked the same question.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56000666

From the answers it appears that in T mode you press the shutter button to open the shutter and then press it again to close the shutter.

It appears that even with this T method you are still are only aloud 30 sec max shutter opening.

Would love somebody to prove me wrong....  :-)

Bump. As we have a few Q's out there is somebody able to test the greater than 30sec shutter open please (In T mode).

From what I have gathered so far is that 30sec is the max shutter time regardless of how you activate it??????

Bump. As we have a few Q's out there is somebody able to test the greater than 30sec shutter open please (In T mode).

From what I have gathered so far is that 30sec is the max shutter time regardless of how you activate it??????

Just tried it in T mode and yes it would appear that 30 sec is the maximum time possible even if you keep on holding down the shutter release

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This limit is really incredible , even the compact 100 euro can go beyond 30 seconds. With the Leica Q you can not do long exposure, night landscape etc etc.

A real disappointment . It seems that the problem is overheating sensor .. this is crazy , we are in 2015 !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The 30 second exposure only works at a low ISO... Super odd. The longest exposure at like 3200 ISO was 4 seconds. Any info on this?

Leica does the math. Higher ISO == more heat in the sensor due to amplification.

For better or worse.

• Like 1

Sounds like the T then, a disappointment for both cameras. I could be using my T for astro imaging quite happily if it went longer than the bog standard 30 seconds. Even the T app is disappointing, no Android for example.

OK, I'll stop whinning now.

Gary

Sounds like the T then, a disappointment for both cameras. I could be using my T for astro imaging quite happily if it went longer than the bog standard 30 seconds. Even the T app is disappointing, no Android for example.

OK, I'll stop whinning now.

Gary

If your long astro exposures are to track stars, to make star trails, then would not multiple exposures suffice - even if the camera did a dark frame between each exposure?

Honest answer is yes, but the practical answer right now for me is to use an intervalometer on my old Fuji X-E1, and shoot 5 minute (and sometimes more) exposures.

No dark in between, after the event, darks, bias, and flats.

Gary

• 1 year later...

New firmware and 120 s are available + T.

The bulb mode works via the App, maybe one can also buy a cable, I do not know.

The bulb mode in the App does NOT show elapsed time, which is not smart, really, so you need a stopwatch.

For those as "smart" as I, you have to turn the thumbweel "backwards" to increase the time. I spent hours on vacation trying to do a long exposure shot, it would not budge. Also looked in the menu if something needed to be activated or deactivated and tried all kind of things. But it is just the thumbweel which needs to be turned counter-intuitively. Hope this saves some time for some!