Leica Q Firmware Request

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm new to Leica - could somebody comment on how good they are at updating firmware please? I feel that the camera hardware is nearly perfect, but that the firmware needs quite a lot of work to unleash its full potential.

Some serious changes were made to the M240 firmware giving new features and some of us here were involved in the beta testing of these updates. I should imagine that with the Q leica will listen to our needs and overtime updates will happen

Edited by viramati

Well... unless the Q also marks a change in direction about "full potential" as well. 

Leica has obviously paid very close attention to what other camera manufacturers are doing to build the Q.  For instance, Fuji has invested heavily in software to keep the camera meaningfully fresh, improving everything from autofocus performance to added functionality.  There is a chance that the Q marks the beginning of years of meaningful firmware updates, and could also redefine what you can expect from this camera company.

Based on experience, I wouldn't count on rapid FW updates from Leica. They have added features to the M240...but fast they were not. Bottom line is if you don't like the camera as-is, don't buy it in anticipation of major changes. Quite frankly, its pretty amazing as-is...there are a few things they will hopefully address but the "full potential" of this camera is already here. FW will only make it better.

Edited by digitalfx

Some people clamoured for a DNG-only option with the X1, then the X2, the X Vario, and finally the T. Leica refused to grant any of those wishes and I would be quite surprised if they did now. 

That makes no sense for advanced photographers using the camera. I bet it was a decision from Leica because they would get tons of complaints from amateur photographers that used the various crop modes and can't figure out why their photographs don't look they way they shot them. It should be an option buried in an advanced menu, maybe even locked with a warning for the amateur crowd.

• Like 1

I bet it was a decision from Leica because they would get tons of complaints from amateur photographers that used the various crop modes and can't figure out why their photographs don't look they way they shot them.

For one thing, in the raw converter the DNG files show up cropped as well (although you can reveal all of the image if you wish). But in any case the decision against a DNG-only mode has nothing to do with the Q and its crop-modes; the X1, X2, X Vario, and T don’t have a DNG-only setting either. The JPEG serves as a preview image and is always included alongside the DNG file.

Edited by mjh

Perhaps im stepping in the salad here, but i have an issue with my Q that i think now i can reproduce,

If i format my SD card in camera, and turn of camera before shooting an image, next time i turn on camera and try to shoot, i get message that camera is unable to write to card.

Fix is simply to format card, shoot image and then turn off.

Anyone else experience this ? (Card is a Lexar Pro 300x card)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps im stepping in the salad here, but i have an issue with my Q that i think now i can reproduce,

If i format my SD card in camera, and turn of camera before shooting an image, next time i turn on camera and try to shoot, i get message that camera is unable to write to card.

Fix is simply to format card, shoot image and then turn off.

Anyone else experience this ? (Card is a Lexar Pro 300x card)

Ive never experienced this. 

Having just got the camera

1. Vitally you need to be able to have quicker access to the focus setting in the fn menu

2. fn menu should be configurable as in the Sony A7 series

3. To be able to name the user profiles as you can in the M

4. DNG only

Edited by viramati

1. Vitally you need to be able to have quicker access to the focus setting in the fn menu

4. DNG only

5. User profiles need to be in the fn menu.

4. DNG only

These are all already listed

UPDATED:

1- The ability to name the profiles

2- Auto Review- please add review while holding shutter (like the M9 and 240). IMO this is the best option for image review, all the other settings get in the way.

3- more customization options for the LCD and EVF display (turn on/off options visible in the LCD or EVF)

4- DNG Only

5-  to see access to the focus settings through the fn button + Configarable fn menu. You should be able to make up the set of items you want to access

6- expand LCD/EVF menu options to allow turning off LCD except for playback (currently disabling LCD totally disables it even for image playback)

7- option to disable thumbwheel

8- EXPOSURE COMPENSATION- keep marker red in EVF and LCD display when EC is engaged to draw attention that it is active. Currently its only red while adjusting and it reverts to white once set. This should remain red.

9- Ability to select EVF only and retain the sensor so that the EVF only turns on when lifted to eye, otherwise it remains off.

10- Ability to turn off video button or reassign

11- Manual control in Video Mode

12- 24fps in Video Mode

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

Now having the camera I notice that n.6 can in fact be done by a double tap on the screen and that you can add or subtract 1/3rd of a stop by using the compensation wheel when using manual shutter speeds (point n.11)

Edited by viramati

Now having the camera I notice that n.6 can in fact be done by a double tap on the screen and that you can add or subtract 1/3rd of a stop by using the compensation wheel when using manual shutter speeds (point n.11)

yep you are correct. removing those.

13. Make 'delete' button configurable when in shooting mode. I say this as when in shooting mode the button has no function and could be assigned to quick access of a menu setting

here is my .02...Delete should never be anything but "Delete"...if you get in the habit of using this button for another function, you are asking for trouble even though it requires confirmation. I am fine with it having limited use.

• Like 3

here is my .02...Delete should never be anything but "Delete"...if you get in the habit of using this button for another function, you are asking for trouble even though it requires confirmation. I am fine with it having limited use.

With the Sony A7 you can configure the delete button for other uses when in shooting mode and it is only used as a delete button in playback (and then you need to confirm) and personally it has never caused me to delete an image by mistake. I know that leica have a minimalist approach but the problem is that with digital and auto focus cameras it is really useful to be able to access certain menus more quickly. In any case it should have the option just to leave it as is but I personally would like to see it configurable .

Edited by viramati