Leica Q Firmware Request

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A way to disable continuous shooting (I'd suggest an "off" option in addition to the current high/medium/low). I basically never use this option yet it's all too easy to select it accidentally by turning the camera on "too far".

Not having the level gauge go off when you half press the shutter button. This just seems broken to me as that's exactly when you most need it (especially for focus and recompose shooting).

(Sorry for multiple posts, only just finding these!)

A diopter lock - discovered my usual long neck strap carrying position will adjust it all the way up, meaning I get a blurred viewfinder when I bring the camera to my eye. This is almost a showstopper for me :(

Just realised this may not be fixable in software if this is a fully mechanical adjustment? In which case I'll have to think of some ugly tape solution if it happens more than hardly ever...

In my short time with the Q (since yesterday pm), I am in agreement with the master list of suggested firmware changes.

This is a fascinating camera, and could be even better with just a few tweaks like those suggested.

One thing not changing with firmware is the hood contraption, which is IMHO inconsistent with Leica's usual design elegance.

One thing not changing with firmware is the hood contraption, which is IMHO inconsistent with Leica's usual design elegance.

Sorry, for my understanding: what's wrong with the hood?

It's basically the same design as with the Summarit-M lenses (both the old f2.5 as well as the new f2.4)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry, for my understanding: what's wrong with the hood?

It's basically the same design as with the Summarit-M lenses (both the old f2.5 as well as the new f2.4)

Here's what I think is wrong with the hood (maybe "wrong" is too strong, maybe "here's how it could be better"):

Screw in hoods are okay but why do they require that you remove a trim ring in order to get the hood on?

Bayonet hoods are better, because (as in many other Leica lenses) if you want to change a filter, it does not require screwing off and is faster on and faster off.

Built in hoods are best (such as in Summilux 50 and Summicron Apo 50).  Can't be lost and can't beat the convenience.

If one assumes that a 28mm lens should have a hood, I think the design choice to do a separate retaining ring (that many of us are going to lose) :) and a screw in hood was not optimal.  Because Leica is known for its minimalist approaches, I am a bit disappointed.   Not in the camera which I love, but in the hood, which I don't.

• Like 1

^ built in hood would be nice but the screw in is better for me by far as the hood on my new 28mm Elmarit has popped off the camera twice and i have so little faith in not losing it that I don't even use it. The hood on my 28mm Summicron is more secure but it's showing signs of wear and I have trouble lining it up straight. 

Those are fair points.   I happen to prefer the clip on type because I think they have a better chance of protecting the lens without doing any damage to it if you happen to swing the camera accidentally into something. The clip on will likely just pop off.  The screw in could end up with damage not only to itself but to the threads on the lens.   I suppose everything is a trade off.   Cameras are full of compromises.

Here's what I think is wrong with the hood (maybe "wrong" is too strong, maybe "here's how it could be better"):

Screw in hoods are okay but why do they require that you remove a trim ring in order to get the hood on?

Bayonet hoods are better, because (as in many other Leica lenses) if you want to change a filter, it does not require screwing off and is faster on and faster off.

Built in hoods are best (such as in Summilux 50 and Summicron Apo 50).  Can't be lost and can't beat the convenience.

If one assumes that a 28mm lens should have a hood, I think the design choice to do a separate retaining ring (that many of us are going to lose) :) and a screw in hood was not optimal.  Because Leica is known for its minimalist approaches, I am a bit disappointed.   Not in the camera which I love, but in the hood, which I don't.

I consider this hood permanent...I removed the retaining ring and put it in the box...installed the hood and forget about it. 

Is there really a reason to shoot without it? It protects the front element and shades the lens.

I do feel the retaining ring is an odd choice, I assume its purely cosmetic...but regardless I just leave the hood on permanently.

I like the 50mm Summilux hood, but honestly prefer a fixed hood. The 50mm built in hood tends to partially fold back while shooting.The Q hood is always working.

But what does this have to do with Firmware updates? :)

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 2

Not having the level gauge go off when you half press the shutter button. This just seems broken to me as that's exactly when you most need it (especially for focus and recompose shooting).

Here's the problem, I really like these sort of thing to disappear on a half press. different strokes for different folks

For the 35mm/50mm trimming modes, I'd like to see an option to have the EVF/screen show only the cropped area (i.e. instead of the frame lines approach).

I think Leica made this choice deliberately to get closer to the M experience. It is after all a feature prized by street shooters.

Yes of course. I'm suggesting it as an option only, which shouldn't be difficult to implement and would be appreciated perhaps by those from a less range finder ish (!) background.

I'm new to Leica - could somebody comment on how good they are at updating firmware please? I feel that the camera hardware is nearly perfect, but that the firmware needs quite a lot of work to unleash its full potential.

I'm new to Leica - could somebody comment on how good they are at updating firmware please? I feel that the camera hardware is nearly perfect, but that the firmware needs quite a lot of work to unleash its full potential.

don't count on firmware updates to "unleash its full potential". The camera is perfectly capable as it is, if you need something different then I would begin looking elsewhere. 

Leica will gradually release a few updates, but the full potential already exists..

• Like 1

don't count on firmware updates to "unleash its full potential". The camera is perfectly capable as it is, if you need something different then I would begin looking elsewhere. 

Leica will gradually release a few updates, but the full potential already exists..

Well... unless the Q also marks a change in direction about "full potential" as well. 

Leica has obviously paid very close attention to what other camera manufacturers are doing to build the Q.  For instance, Fuji has invested heavily in software to keep the camera meaningfully fresh, improving everything from autofocus performance to added functionality.  There is a chance that the Q marks the beginning of years of meaningful firmware updates, and could also redefine what you can expect from this camera company.