Leica Q Firmware Request

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3- more customization options for the LCD and EVF display (turn on/off options visible in the LCD or EVF)

Just tried it in the store (yes ... oh ... well). The #1 thing for me to change is the LCD/EVF behaviour and either do it right ;) or give it more options. There urgently needs to be at least the option to leave the back LCD screen switched off permanently and only switch it on by pressing a button where the display responds to settings changes. The EVF in this mode should only go on when raising the camera to the eye. I would call this "Das Wesentliche" for the new Firmware release  :p

Ivo

• Like 3

I certainly agree. From what I saw the fn button certainly had a load of setting I wouldn't need access to such as WLAN etc. They should make it configurable as in the Sony A7's so that you can get quick access to the sections you need. At the moment it seems like of load of settings that most experienced photographers wouldn't need access to and poorly thought out. 

By the way I'm 60 today!!!!

Happy Birthday from me too!

Mike.

Some people clamoured for a DNG-only option with the X1, then the X2, the X Vario, and finally the T. Leica refused to grant any of those wishes and I would be quite surprised if they did now.

As stated earlier in this thread, the reason is probably because the jpegs are used with the app. Many won't ever use the app, and forcing jpeg use will annoy them every time they upload photos and have to delete the jpegs. Every time.

Mike.

• Like 1

Guest jvansmit

Normally, the camera requires you to press the focus button in front of the camera while turning the thumbwheel to change the exposure compensation. I can not have a look at my camera right now, so I can't tell you which setting to change, but you can turn this behaviour off and on.

if the aperture ring is on any setting other than A, then turning the thumbwheel will adjust EV without pressing any other button

Normally, the camera requires you to press the focus button in front of the camera while turning the thumbwheel to change the exposure compensation. I can not have a look at my camera right now, so I can't tell you which setting to change, but you can turn this behaviour off and on.

In the M9 and M240 you have this option, but not the Q

• Like 1

Just tried it in the store (yes ... oh ... well). The #1 thing for me to change is the LCD/EVF behaviour and either do it right ;) or give it more options. There urgently needs to be at least the option to leave the back LCD screen switched off permanently and only switch it on by pressing a button where the display responds to settings changes. The EVF in this mode should only go on when raising the camera to the eye. I would call this "Das Wesentliche" for the new Firmware release  :p

Ivo

Well we currently have the ability to turn off the LCD and only use the EVF...the other options would be nice. But from experience, we aren't going to get all of this in an update.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ivo

This would be my number one hope on a firmware update..I'd love 1/3rd stops of ISO..and wish of course they were there in shutter speed.

• Like 1

Well we currently have the ability to turn off the LCD and only use the EVF...the other options would be nice. But from experience, we aren't going to get all of this in an update.

I saw that option. But that keeps the EVF on all the time - also when not raised to the eye. There are environments where a light source like this is distracting.

Thanks

Ivo

1. Configarable fn menu. You should be able to make up the set of items you want to access as you can with the Sony A7. This is a function I use a lot on the Sony's as it gives quick and easy access to areas that are hidden deeply withing the menu settings.

2. Configurable and nameable presets as in the M240.

4. Maybe you could add half stop increments to the compensation dial when using manual shutter speeds. I do find it odd that they have given us 0ne third increments on aperture and not on the shutter speeds

Edited by viramati

I think I have captured everyones requests + I added #9...

UPDATED:

1- The ability to name the profiles

2- Auto Review- please add review while holding shutter (like the M9 and 240). IMO this is the best option for image review, all the other settings get in the way.

3- more customization options for the LCD and EVF display (turn on/off options visible in the LCD or EVF)

4- DNG Only

5-  to see access to the focus settings through the fn button + Configarable fn menu. You should be able to make up the set of items you want to access

6- It would be great if the focus spot could be made to recenter after a shot as you can with Sony A7 series by pressing the delete button.

7- expand LCD/EVF menu options to allow turning off LCD except for playback (currently disabling LCD totally disables it even for image playback)

8- option to disable thumbwheel

9- EXPOSURE COMPENSATION- keep marker red in EVF and LCD display when EC is engaged to draw attention that it is active. Currently its only red while adjusting and it reverts to white once set. This should remain red.

10- Ability to select EVF only and retain the sensor so that the EVF only turns on when lifted to eye, otherwise it remains off.

11- add half stop increments to the compensation dial when using manual shutter speeds

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

I'd like to be able to completely disable the thumbwheel...it's too easy to accidentally dial in -/+ exposure compensation which happened to me a few times over the weekend. 

On one occasion, I shot 2-3 hours on +1EV which is a bummer on a sunny, high contrast afternoon. I've tried using the Thumbs Up from my MM to guard the thumbwheel but it's a sloppy fit in the Q's accessory shoe.

If I remember well, because I cannot check now, if you set the FN button to exposure then the wheel is deactivated and the exposure compensation works by pressing the fn and then the wheel. You lose one function but you gain your wish. I will check later to verify.

• Like 1

If I remember well, because I cannot check now, if you set the FN button to exposure then the wheel is deactivated and the exposure compensation works by pressing the fn and then the wheel. You lose one function but you gain your wish. I will check later to verify.

Nope. Just checked and if you set FN to Exposure the thumbwheel still works.

The exposure option is totally unnecessary on the function button as it still requires the wheel. Its a waste of real estate...lets get focus options to replace it.

Nope. Just checked and if you set FN to Exposure the thumbwheel still works.

The exposure option is totally unnecessary on the function button as it still requires the wheel. Its a waste of real estate...lets get focus options to replace it.

Are you sure, because I just checked and it seems to do some program shift. Can you tell me what are your Aperture/Speed/iso settings and what behavior you see. Thanks.

Edit: It is not completely useless to have exposure on the FN button because it gives you the 3 compensation options, exposure/bracketing/flash.

Edit 2: Ok this is a bit weird... If the FN button is set to exposure:

a ) If you have fixed iso, and A for Aperture and Speed then the wheel does program shift 

b ) If you have fixed iso, A for speed and some aperture then it does exposure compensation...

c ) If you are fully in manual the wheel changes the speed locally????

I do not understand...

Edited by Daedalus2000

Are you sure, because I just checked and it seems to do some program shift. Can you tell me what are your Aperture/Speed/iso settings and what behavior you see. Thanks.

Edit: It is not completely useless to have exposure on the FN button because it gives you the 3 compensation options, exposure/bracketing/flash.

Yes, you are correct that the function has value. I didn't realize you could scrub thru the options by clicking the FN button multiple times. And yes in Manual mode the wheel defaults to shutter speed, so the FN button requires two steps. But in AE mode the wheel works standalone regardless of FN setting.

But...I really don't use EC in full manual...only in AE mode. Especially the way the Q is designed to give you 1/3 shutter speed tuning while in M mode on the wheel. Pretty clever.

Edited by digitalfx

4. Maybe you could add half stop increments to the compensation dial when using manual shutter speeds. I do find it odd that they have given us 0ne third increments on aperture and not on the shutter speeds

just noticed that this actually exists....in manual mode use the thumb wheel to get 1/3 stops.

just noticed that this actually exists....in manual mode use the thumb wheel to get 1/3 stops.

Ok I found it on page 182 on the manual. The function of the wheel depends on the position of the shutter speed dial. There it refers to some other pages for the exposure compensation but the page numbers seem incorrect.

Many things to discover with this camera...

Really a clever little camera. Its going to take awhile to get used to it, but really like it so far. Very well thought out, with some improved FW this is going to be a substantial new line.

Yes page 182 has the details...if you select 1/2000 on the dial, you then have access to the electronic shutter speeds up to 1/16000

Really a clever little camera. Its going to take awhile to get used to it, but really like it so far. Very well thought out, with some improved FW this is going to be a substantial new line.

Yes page 182 has the details...if you select 1/2000 on the dial, you then have access to the electronic shutter speeds up to 1/16000

Yes, and it seems to have a T option for speed which is not described in the official specifications (they list up to 30sec). Some may find it very useful.

Edited by Daedalus2000