Leica Q - how many megapixels for 35mm/50mm?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I posted elsewhere I am already sold on the Q, not least because 28mm is my favourite walkabout lens. I have the M, so I can use that for 50mm.

But out of interest, and as we all crop sometimes, I wondered how many megapixels you would get from a 35mm or 50mm tramlines shot on the Q. I am sure it is published somewhere, but I have searched in vain and cannot see it. thus, I have attempted my own calculation, which maybe seriously flawed. Someone more scientific please tell me if I have gone wrong....

But if a 28mm lens usually renders a 75 degree Field of View, and a 35mm, 63 degrees, and 50mm, 51 degrees, then if 28mm = 24mp, would not 35mm = 20.16 mp, and 50mm = 16,32mp? If so, or indeed if even close, then the Q is an even better camera than I thought. I think 12mp is easily enough for most purposes, with a good full frame sensor. The only time it is not is if you have to crop a lot. But if cropping to 50mm gives me 12mp or larger then that is more than fine. I am not making A1 prints, and even if I was I expect that would do.

Nick, couldn't you do the experiment now by taking two shots with your M, preferably on a tripod or at least from the exact same position, one with your 28mm lens, and one with your 50. Then crop the 28 shot so that it shows the same as the 50. 

You will then have done pretty much exactly what the Q will be doing won't you? And that way you won't have to wait, and you can do all the calculations and make all the judgements and comparisons  you want to.

James is right

I checked (before doing the test Peter suggested)

You can download the manual here: http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Q/LEICA-Q/Downloads

The one claiming to be in English is in fact in German, but if you turn to p.122 it appears to say that 28mm = 24mp; 35 = 15mp; 50mm = 8mp.

That being the case 35mm is just fine. 15mp more than enough if you are not cropping more. Not much fewer than the M9, more than the M8 and more than my Sony A7s which is fine for large prints.

8mp is getting a little small. You can still make decent A4 and often A3 prints though. But if you really want big enlargements and lots of detail at 50mm focal length then you will keep using your M/M9 and a 50mm lens (as I plan to do), not the Q for this. Nevertheless, with the quality size and resolution the Q sensor is reported to have a fair bit of coping will be absolutely fine.

The one claiming to be in English is in fact in German, but if you turn to p.122 it appears to say that 28mm = 24mp; 35 = 15mp; 50mm = 8mp.

The one claiming to be English is the same as the one claiming to be German. It contains both languages. Page 250 also says that 28mm = 24mp; 35 = 15mp; 50mm = 8mp.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The one claiming to be English is the same as the one claiming to be German. It contains both languages. Page 250 also says that 28mm = 24mp; 35 = 15mp; 50mm = 8mp.

It's like buying a $100,000 12 cylinder Jaguar with a button that allows you to use only 4 of the cylinders.

• Like 1