I like the T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the T, and yes, it could be better.  if Leica introduces a T2, I am confident it will have built in EVF and faster autofocus.  In the meantime, I will continue with it as it gives me two great zooms that compliment the M and the faster M primes, especially for travel.  The 11-23 and the 55-135 are terrific lenses.

Additionally, the T lens mount is larger than the R Mount and offers possibilities for a future full frame auto focus camera with zoom lenses and longer focal length lenses as well as the use of current M & R lenses with adapters.  I have to believe that the T is the first step in this direction.

Instead of looking at Leica Products with a glass half empty attitude, I tend to look at them with a glass half full attitude.  In 45 years, I have had my Glass half empty moments, but they have quickly disappeared

Edited by rsh
  • Like 7

I like the T too, I like it's innovative interface, solid body and great lenses: for the first time in years I have a nice system with all the main focal lengths covered by the zooms.

Yes it can be improved and I'd like to see a future full frame version: but then again the lenses will be bigger and then I'm not sure I could afford it  :) .

According to some rumors, it didn't sell well: I don't know for sure, but let's hope Leica keep on improving and developing this new system, maybe incorporating some of the technologies we are seeing in the newly released Leica Q.

Best,

• Like 3

Guest Alxndr

I absolutely concur.

I bought a T a couple of weeks ago, with the 23mm prime and the 18-56mm zoom, having been shooting previously with a Canon 50D and a Leica X2. I'm a naturally born sceptic. So before buying I read, I think, almost every available T review on the web and doubted any praise I could find in them ("how could all those reviewers who were given the camery for reviewing it by Leica be really objective?"), while considering very seriously every negative finding. In the end I concluded that Leica probably had gotten enough right with the T to give it at least a try myself. So I visited a dealer. After that it didn't took long to decide I wanted one.

It's a great camera. It's georgous, but for someone who cares about photography more than about gear that's beside the point. What matters is (1) it's a real joy to use and (2) it delivers excellent shots (as far as those do not depend on me, as the photographer :))

There are, of course, a lot of things about the T we can discuss extensively if we decide not to use our precious time for taking pictures. I see not much use in doing that. The camera is too good for criticizing it in stead of shooting with it. It's got a great sensor and high quality lenses. It's fast (with the latest firmware, at least for 90% of the situations I encounter; it's much faster than the X2 for example). It's handling is intuïtive (I really love it's flexible user interface; and I didn't need one word from the manual). It's display is sharp enough for manual zooming, if you prefer that. And it feels great in your hand (solid and with enough weight). Those are the things that matter.

So I can only give you this advise if your looking for a mirrorless, high quality, 16MP sensor camera: don't attach too much weight to all the criticism on the web, but give it a try yourself. You'll probably love it. (And no, you'll probably don't need more than 16MP.)

Thanks Leica (but do give us some more fast primes :))

PS: I forgot to say that I use it with the Leica leather protector. It's probably not necessary, but it feels good.

Edited by Alxndr
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my T today and all I can say is I love it. 

It is fast enough for me, it focus's quick enough for me but above all is the most fantastic camera to hold in the hand.  It is already making me want to go out and shoot.

This camera replaces my Ricoh GXR which now looks like an ancient relic in comparison.  

When in the store I looked at the Q and instantly did not feel a bond with it unlike the T.  I guess there is a camera for everyone, and the one for me is a T.  I actually am not bothered that it is not the highest res camera in the shop or has all the bells and whistles.  I guess maybe that is why I am a mac guy also and can quite easily forgo the fastest processor for the best design and experience.

I got the 23mm lens which is great, and this will work together with my M lens's.  My dream has always been an M but to be honest this T may quell those for a while now.

Thanks to all on this site who contribute and made my decision easier :)

• Like 2

I too am a T fan!  I find myself shooting with it more than my M240!  Just more fun.  I find the user interface very intuitive and once you get used to the little buttons, they are really a design improvement and when I switch to the m I miss them.  The T is simple which I prefer.  And the image quality is very good IMHO.  I am strictly using my existing m lenses and working manual.  It's a treat.  I will be honest though, that the firmware has issues.  This is not Leica's forte.  But if you can live with it sometimes hiccuping and having to do a complete reset......I still like it and forgive its shortcomings because it's a pleasure to shoot with.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like it too, don´t shoot me, but I even sold my M240. It is a joy to use this great little T with the exceptional Interface.

I use the 18-56, the 55-135 and even some of my old Minolta Rokkors on it, it is just a pleasure.

I really hope that they hang on.....give us a T2, T3, T4 ........

Edited by flyboy
  • Like 1

I did the whole reading too! And couldn't really find a excuse to put me off..

However, two weeks after I got mine they released the Q !! Which hapened to to have everything I was missing on the T. (FullFrame, viewfinder..)

It was a hard decision but I decided to put mine on sale so I can go for the Q.

Now I'm really regretting tho! as the little time I used the T it was pure joy!

The only thing that bothers me is the Visoflex! With that size is a bit uncofortable to carry if the strap isn't big enough.

The 23mm really is amazing!

Can't wait to see how they develop this mode.

I did the whole reading too! And couldn't really find a excuse to put me off..

However, two weeks after I got mine they released the Q !! Which hapened to to have everything I was missing on the T. (FullFrame, viewfinder..)

It was a hard decision but I decided to put mine on sale so I can go for the Q.

Now I'm really regretting tho! as the little time I used the T it was pure joy!

The only thing that bothers me is the Visoflex! With that size is a bit uncofortable to carry if the strap isn't big enough.

The 23mm really is amazing!

Can't wait to see how they develop this mode.

I was in the shop with the Q and the T on the counter and after one hold with the Q my mind was made up and went the T.  The Q felt a bit plastic to me for some reason and just not as nice to hold, which is a big deal for me.

Today was my first outing with the T and am more than happy with the results of the 23mm.  May post some on the pics sections.

It's true, when you have the T in your hands you like it!

Personally still on the fence, I'll visit again a shop to re-try one both with its native 23 and with on of my M35. Hope to find a camera with latest firm grade installed.

robert

I think choosing between the T and the Q, totally different cameras.  The Q, being a full frame, will undoubtedly outshine the T using an equivalent lens on the T.  But, you are stuck with that one lens on the Q, which really makes it a hard sell for me.  I personally like to shoot 35mm focal length or longer on the M.  I have a 28 mm lens, but rarely used it until now with the T since it becomes the equivalent of a 42mm lens which suits me better.  It's personal taste, of course.  I am just not a wide angle shooter.  The T gives me very acceptable images for on the fly.  If I could be happy with 28mm lens, then the Q would be better.  I haven't ruled out picking up one in the future.  Just, if I could feel comfortable shooting 28mm.....

• Like 1

Today using the wifi facility I set up my T with my iPad for the first time and now have lots of ideas for remotely composing images - maybe with e.g. a Hague remotely controlled tripod head. 

But the problem now is that I have to buy a T zoom lens because the 23mm is not long enough.

Best wishes

dunk

Guest Alxndr

It's true, when you have the T in your hands you like it!

Personally still on the fence, I'll visit again a shop to re-try one both with its native 23 and with on of my M35. Hope to find a camera with latest firm grade installed.

robert

Robert: what you might do is: take your own SD card with the latest firmware for the T on it to the shop (you can download it from the Leica site). If the T in the shop doesn't have the latest firmware, you can ask them to put it on it from your SD card. It only takes a minute and the shop should welcome it. 

• Like 1

The Leica T with 23mm (35mm) will bring me the same as Leica Q set to 35mm crop when its using only 16Mbp?

Why bother with the Q then?..... its only 28mm getting me the full frame Quality.

The reason to bother with the Q is to get full frame quality at 28mm.  If you only want 35mm, then you are correct, though the (much) faster and higher-resolution built-in EVF are also tempting.

I don't have a T with 23mm, but have the X 113 which is much the same idea.  At 35, the Q isn't a worthwhile upgrade, but 28mm with better quality and equal quality at 35mm is tempting indeed.

• Like 1

the T is a lovely camera and takes lovely shots

at its current discounted price its more in line with expectations, although personally I have never thought that the body price was particularly expensive

reviews from people that count are very positive, e.g. Thom Hogan.

In terms of APS-C competition:

1. Fuji of course. However build quality is not the same league and the buttons are low quality, despite the good quality faces of many of the models. Showstopper for me: I don't like the results of editing x-trans raw so I only use JPG on fujis which is very good, but not really where I want to be.

2. Sony, no1. I struggle to find a bad word for Sony at the moment, but again the build quality is not as good for the APS-c line and the designs are very boxy. Showstopper for me: the loud shutters drive me mad.

So if you like the handling, ownership joy, build, design, UI and flawless zooms, the T is a great option.

I personally think that touch focus point selection is genius compared to the bulky way you select focus point on DSLRs,say. And the Leica implementation is the best I have found. I have used other cameras' versions but they generally opt for too much touch sensitivity and you get loads of pictures focused on the wrong areas. To the point i think using the EVF misses a key USP of the camera

the T is a lovely camera and takes lovely shots

at its current discounted price its more in line with expectations, although personally I have never thought that the body price was particularly expensive

reviews from people that count are very positive, e.g. Thom Hogan.

In terms of APS-C competition:

1. Fuji of course. However build quality is not the same league and the buttons are low quality, despite the good quality faces of many of the models. Showstopper for me: I don't like the results of editing x-trans raw so I only use JPG on fujis which is very good, but not really where I want to be.

2. Sony, no1. I struggle to find a bad word for Sony at the moment, but again the build quality is not as good for the APS-c line and the designs are very boxy. Showstopper for me: the loud shutters drive me mad.

So if you like the handling, ownership joy, build, design, UI and flawless zooms, the T is a great option.

I personally think that touch focus point selection is genius compared to the bulky way you select focus point on DSLRs,say. And the Leica implementation is the best I have found. I have used other cameras' versions but they generally opt for too much touch sensitivity and you get loads of pictures focused on the wrong areas. To the point i think using the EVF misses a key USP of the camera

In the interchangeable lens APS-C class only the Sony NEX7 comes even close to the Leica T in build, and its still quite far behind, though it makes up with built-in (and still remarkably good) EVF and articulated screen.  Of course, it doesn't behave well with Leica RF wides, but does very well with SLR lenses and with RF normals and teles and the Sony Zeiss 24/1.8 and Zeiss Touits are exceptional.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I absolutely concur.

I too I have mine now for a week or two, and I am really thrilled with the results. I actually like the screen handling. Definitely agree on the look and feel of the camera and in my case the 18-56 and 55-135 lenses. 

When I take pictures with the 55-135, I get the feeling I have camera shake, but when I look at the results I am pleasantly surprised, it is a very capable lens.