Q 28mm lens design

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Because geometric distortion can be dealt with rather easily in software without leaving behind artifacts.  

To my eye the Leica Q blows the Sony 28/2 out of the water.  It is not noticeably worse in the center (if you can even call it that), but is way better by country miles in the edges.  And it's got a faster starting aperture to boot.  A 1.7 lens is much harder to design than a f2 lens because aberrations grow faster than linearly in the size of the aperture. 

Can you please provide a link to the comparison between the Q and the Sony 28/2.

I don't know, from the few test shots I have seen, this Q 28 is plenty sharp for me. It does show signs of astigmatism and LCA, but not enough to bother me. The good thing is that no mid-field drop that would bother the heck out of me. However, I do question the QC of the first shipment. We have seen early reports going from very weak corners to very sharp corners. I might chalk it up to the sample variation. If I'm not so dead-set on getting an interchangeable 28, I would settle with this camera. Actually, my wife even nudged me toward the Lux 28 direction :D.

Hmmm.. That is not exactly what they say. They say that the Sony may be sharper overall but lacks "cruelly"  in homogeneity and constancy. It does not bode well for the rendering of the Sony lens, I fear.

Hmmm.. That is not exactly what they say. They say that the Sony may be sharper overall but lacks "cruelly" in homogeneity and constancy. It does not bode well for the rendering of the Sony lens, I fear.

They also said they were a bit underwhelmed, even disappointed with the Q lens.

Edited by edwardkaraa
  • Like 1

Hmmm.. That is not exactly what they say. They say that the Sony may be sharper overall but lacks "cruelly"  in homogeneity and constancy. It does not bode well for the rendering of the Sony lens, I fear.

I can only say for what it costs the Sony FE28 is a real eye opener. It is now almost permnantly attached to my A7s where I love it's rendering wide open and sharpness stopped down. That mis not to say that I won't be getting the Q as the Leica outperforms the Sony in certain functional ways that I really need

I can only say for what it costs the Sony FE28 is a real eye opener. It is now almost permnantly attached to my A7s where I love it's rendering wide open and sharpness stopped down. That mis not to say that I won't be getting the Q as the Leica outperforms the Sony in certain functional ways that I really need

Given the graphs and comments on this French site I would say that it depends entirely on your subject matter whether the Sony lens performs well.

I am usually at a loss when looking at lens charts,  but the French one is well designed and revealing.  The Sony is visibly soft in the corners,  while the Q looks decent overall. At great magnification I can read the Paris Metro map easily,  even if it is not something I am going to photograph mysefl.  Only the French could use the adverb "cruellement" in a lens test. Love 'em.  At least they didn't say vachement,  which is really my favourite French adverb. 

Could you please explain somewhat more what's on your mind?

Sure. It seems like people are having a cow about how much distortion, blurry corners, etc. this lens has. But wouldn't IS be part of this equation? Leica has said that the corners are softer when you have it turned on. I'd assume that there'd be some IQ compromises for just incorporating IS into the design.

• Like 1