GPS for Q

Are there any solutions for geotagging photos with the Q?

Is to be expected an external GPS?

Is the GPS enabled Visoflex compatible?

I suppose that the latter will add to the camera bulk...

I don't think there is any way to use the Visoflex from the T, which is the one with GPS.  There is no mention of it in any of the literature.   It would be third viewing system on the camera and therefore quite redundant.  But maybe someone can try it and see.  I no longer have one to do any testing.

Are there any solutions for geotagging photos with the Q?

Is to be expected an external GPS?

Is the GPS enabled Visoflex compatible?

I suppose that the latter will add to the camera bulk...

Do you by any chance use an iPhone?

Do you by any chance use an iPhone?

I do use an iPhone which is perfectly geotagging its own images.

However it's nonsensical halfway in 2015 to rely on an external device on that purpose.

Leica just made an excellent street shooter bolted with an upgraded Visoflex.

Added a GPS chip powered by the hot shoe, many would grab it in a blink when purchasing the Q.

Or are they expecting anybody to stub a flash on a claimed 50.000 ISO thing?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do use an iPhone which is perfectly geotagging its own images.

However it's nonsensical halfway in 2015 to rely on an external device on that purpose.

Leica just made an excellent street shooter bolted with an upgraded Visoflex.

Added a GPS chip powered by the hot shoe, many would grab it in a blink when purchasing the Q.

Or are they expecting anybody to stub a flash on a claimed 50.000 ISO thing?

My reply was going to be the same as Jaap. It's a great little program.

GPS is the only thing they left out after including it in the Visoflex 020 finder form T and X (and the grip for M). On the other hand, they included an optical stabilizer and a level gauge. You can work around the GPS problem and there have been complaints about its performance (here and elsewhere), but its a little hard to find useable replacements for stabilizer and level gauge. 

You just cannot make it right for everybody. 

Olympus has a similiar camera app for smartphones as Leica has with the Q. The Olympus app has a mode where it creates a GPS track, and the next time you connect the camera to the phone, automatically adds GPS information to all photos which were taken during the time the app was tracking. Quite a nice feature - also every time the camera is connected to the phone, the camera timer is adjusted to the correct time. So if they have not already, Leica definitely should have a similar feature in their app.

Peter

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So, just to bump this thread, has anyone had any luck determining whether the Visioflex from the T works with the Q?  GPS is the one REAL feature I'm losing for right now.

Doubt it would be possible fas the Q only has contacts for the flash

Edited by viramati

• 2 years later...

Oh, Is there any evidence?

In addition to my Q, I have a Canon EOS 6D with built-in GPS functionality. When I have the GPS function engaged, it clearly accelerates battery usage. Canon even warns of this. With Canon's great battery for this camera, I can still take hundreds of pictures on a charge, even with the GPS engaged. When GPS is engaged, it's downloading new location information for whatever change in distance you specify, say 50 meters, for example. If the Q battery were subjected to this extra stress, the battery would be depleted even faster that it is already.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...