who is going to buy the new Q ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do that and you'll have an empty useless box!

The sensor and lens are one unit. It's not like an M inside. You need to think more in terms of an M body but with an EVF in place of the rangefinder.

I didn't say remove the lens literally. I'm saying with the Q the R&D for an interchangeable lens Q like camera is almost entirely done. If Leica implements this technology in an M body or Q body, it doesn't matter, as long as it takes M lenses, natively or via adapters. Edited by edwardkaraa
  • Like 1

By the way, in terms of size and weight:

A7RII will be 625g body only, dimensions 127mm x 96mm x 60mm. But if you add the Sony FE 28mm lens (a relatively compact lens for the A7 series), it becomes:

843g and 127 x 96 x 125mm

The Q will be (with lens of course)

640g and 130mm x 80mm x 93mm

So it shall be much easier to take the Q around with you in a small bag, or as a second camera, than the A7R II

Of course, given the massive size of the A7RII's sensor, and the fact it is and interchangeable system, we would all expect it to be a bit heavier and bigger, and its still remarkably compact and light, but it is worth remembering that as soon as you put a dedicated lens on the a sony it starts to get a little bit DSLRish.

I really like the Q, might buy it one day ... if the price falls. But my GR is much easier to carry around, and I think mounting a Batis 25mm on an A7 will be better still.

Some other relevant sizes:

RX1 - 113 x 65 x 70mm @ 482g (+ EVF)

GR - 117 x 61 x 35mm @ 245 (+ OVF)

The Q with a 28/50 MATE lens ... that would be worth 4.000 to me!

I didn't say remove the lens literally. I'm saying with the Q the R&D for an interchangeable lens Q like camera is almost entirely done. If Leica implements this technology in an M body or Q body, it doesn't matter, as long as it takes M lenses, natively or via adapters.

I hope you are right but someone said the Q has a leaf shutter.  If that is so, then it isn't quite as simple to make it an interchangeable lens camera.  Plus the sensor in the Q and firmware are all optimized for the 28mm lens.  So there likely is substantial work to do to get from 28mm to interchangeable.   I am hoping that if they do that it will not be just focus peaking but an electronic rangefinder that was as accurate as the optical.  Because I like and use both the optical VF and EVF (for different purposes), my ideal would be a hybrid finder with both.   We know this is possible from Fuji but I would like to see it done the Leica way.  I don't think any of this is likely to happen very soon.

• Like 1

I am hoping that if they do that it will not be just focus peaking

The problems with focus peaking thus far are the same as with SLR focusing.  In order to determine the peak, one needs to go past the point of exact focus and then come back.  Which is slower than using a rangefinder. 

The problems with focus peaking thus far are the same as with SLR focusing.  In order to determine the peak, one needs to go past the point of exact focus and then come back.  Which is slower than using a rangefinder. 

Agree. I remember when SLRs had split image focusing.  The newer ones give you nothing for manual focus. They just assume everything is AF.  I have had decent results focusing in AF with an SLR, as long as I limit it to one AF point that I can select.   When there are 51 points, who knows what it is doing?  To me, more AF points are not progress.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have pre-ordered it and stopped my pre-order one day later

I  prefer a A7r II , same  quality or even better , much more flexibility,  cheaper,  and I can use all my M lenses

At least someone on here has some common sense.................4k for a brick is a lot of $$$$$$$

Let me elaborate on that, why would you pay 4k for a camera that has a FIXED 28mm lens that will be terrible for shooting people and only good for maybe landscape. When you look at what the Sony has to offer for $$$$ dollars less you must be crazy to even consider getting the Q.

Anyway I am sure there will be the die hard Leica lovers that will not think twice to splash out another 4K for something that will quickly end up in a drybox :)

Eric I too ordered the a7r2 along with the 2 new Zeiss Blits lenses

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At least someone on here has some common sense.................4k for a brick is a lot of $$$$$$$

Let me elaborate on that, why would you pay 4k for a camera that has a FIXED 28mm lens that will be terrible for shooting people and only good for maybe landscape. When you look at what the Sony has to offer for $$$$ dollars less you must be crazy to even consider getting the Q.

Anyway I am sure there will be the die hard Leica lovers that will not think twice to splash out another 4K for something that will quickly end up in a drybox :)

So why exactly are you here?

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

So why exactly are you here?

Why not its an open forum isn't it ??? ...................................Just expressing my feelings/ thoughts abut the new Leica Q and reiterate that for a 2/3rds of the price you can get a far superior camera in EVERY way with the Sony a7r2

Edited by NDWgolf
  • Like 1

Let me understand your elaboration - (1) fixed lens, (2) 28mm, and (3) $4,000.  I guess that's fair, if flawed.  The benefit of a fixed lens is that the lens and sensor are perfectly matched (interchangeability introduces complex issues which are not all good) and you can introduce things like leaf shutters easily (possible with interchangeability - the S Summaries and Hasselblad CF series lenses, for example).  I take it you think 28mm on its own is a bad idea.

Then you buy a Sony ...

Can I point out, Neil, that this is a Leica forum, and you have received a great deal of patient advice since you started your "crazy" journey with M cameras and Noctilux lenses.  Could be a good time to pause and consider why it might be that apparently intelligent people, many of them fabulous photographers, might think this is a good idea?  You might learn something.

Cheers

John

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Let me understand your elaboration - (1) fixed lens, (2) 28mm, and (3) $4,000.  I guess that's fair, if flawed.  The benefit of a fixed lens is that the lens and sensor are perfectly matched (interchangeability introduces complex issues which are not all good) and you can introduce things like leaf shutters easily (possible with interchangeability - the S Summaries and Hasselblad CF series lenses, for example).  I take it you think 28mm on its own is a bad idea.

Then you buy a Sony ...

Can I point out, Neil, that this is a Leica forum, and you have received a great deal of patient advice since you started your "crazy" journey with M cameras and Noctilux lenses.  Could be a good time to pause and consider why it might be that apparently intelligent people, many of them fabulous photographers, might think this is a good idea?  You might learn something.

Cheers

John

Your correct John its the best camera since sliced bread.....my bad, I will go and buy one tomorrow :):(:)

Indeed the A7rII looks to be pretty amazing on paper and may well perform better with some of the leica wides. I have now sold my M and 28 summicron which will give me money left over for a possible purchase of the new Sony,

By the way 28 summicron performed really badly even on the A7s but the WATE and CV 21/1.8 performed well on the A7s and A7II.

Focussing MF wide lenses especially slow one anything over 35mm I find to be a real pain on the A7's

But it ain't and never ever will be a Leica or have that special Leica IQ … and will probably depreciate %big time  

dunk

Why not its an open forum isn't it ??? ...................................Just expressing my feelings/ thoughts abut the new Leica Q and reiterate that for a 2/3rds of the price you can get a far superior camera in EVERY way with the Sony a7r2

of course it is, just find it odd that you come but for no reason than to tell others they are making a bad choice. I guess I value my time more, I tend to spend time in forums for products I use so I can learn more. 

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

But it ain't and never ever will be a Leica or have that special Leica IQ … and will probably depreciate %big time  

dunk

There's no doubt that the Leica IQ is great that's why I own two of them but as for depreciation I would say that the Leica BODIES ain't no different to any other camera brand 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

My point of the 28mm lens is that if you want to take people shots with the new Leica Q which most people that buy point and shoot cameras do, then at 28mm they will appear fat and distorted

Your correct John its the best camera since sliced bread.....my bad, I will go and buy one tomorrow  :)  :(  :)

I'm not buying one, Neil.  This isn't a zero-sum game.

There's no doubt that the Leica IQ is great that's why I own two of them but as for depreciation I would say that the Leica BODIES ain't no different to any other camera brand 

True, depreciation hits all cameras.  Leicas less than others (check the figures), but they still depreciate far more quickly than lenses.  To be honest, cameras and lenses are a terrible investment, unless you buy something really expensive, and even then the chances are you'll get burned.

Conversely, if you buy cameras to take pictures (that is the point, isn't it?), Leica cameras tend to be rather better than the others.

My point of the 28mm lens is that if you want to take people shots with the new Leica Q which most people that buy point and shoot cameras do, then at 28mm they will appear fat and distorted

That's what cellphones are for.  The traditional fixed lens camera (I won't say point and shoot) has had a 35mm lens.  The same criticism applies to that focal length, Neil.  If you're a point and shoot kind of guy (I'm getting the impression you are), at least the Q has digital zoom - you're not really going to be bothered with image deterioration if you are into point and shoot - Facebook and Instagram look fine at 8MP.

I'd have to say, I'm rather stunned at your reaction bearing in mind the devotion you have applied to your two M cameras and lenses.  If the camera is just a box to you, the Sony really is a cheaper and better option (complete with smearing from Leica wides).  Getting the whole thing to work properly is far more complicated than you seem to give credit for.

Cheers

John

Edited by IkarusJohn

I've been using a 21-35 R on my DMR most of the day at widest end … and at equivalent 29mm FF people look undistorted and 'unfat ' … so depends on how they're framed at what distance. Used sensibly a 28mm can produce good people pics and can also encompass ALL the action at closer distances than e.g. a 35mm or 50mm.  Just a matter of keeping the camera parallel to the subject. 

dunk

Neil, with all respect, your posts are now borderline trolling.  You've made your point that you prefer the Sony and that you think the Leica Q is not worth the money.  Repeating the point is not necessary other than to be annoying.  I hope you enjoy your Sony and if you can get good results, that's great.  Show them off if you'd like.  Just please stop the comments about the intelligence of those who might disagree with you.  

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have no idea what trolling is (I thought it was some kind of fishing thing) and I am definitely not bashing Leica ..........why would I, I have over 30 grands worth of the stuff. I was just reacting to the backlash that came my way.

I was once told not that long ago by a Leica artfiliate that when people look a a picture they couldn't give a monkeys about whether it was taken with a Leica or an iPhone..........it's just a picture.

Saying that my best pictures have all been taken with cameras other than a Leica........ I just happen to like shooting Leica........... I guess you do too