who is going to buy the new Q ?

I've ordered mine (from Park Cameras) - looking like stock in the UK is not arriving until towards the end of next week, or does anybody know different?

Spoke to Stephens Manchester yesterday and the chap suggested a setback and deliveries not expected for about six weeks  :( .

Got mine today, just before they closed the Leicashop here in Vienna. They had received a first shipping of 11 Leica Qs, but all had been reserved and are gone by now...

Unpacking the Q is an experience, similar to unpacking a new Apple Macbook or iPad. Have not made a single picture yet, but handling this piece is a great pleasure.

Could the best all-digital Leica since the Digilux 2 ! 

Edited by sturmi

I have pre-ordered it and stopped my pre-order one day later
I  prefer a A7r II , same  quality or even better , much more flexibility,  cheaper,  and I can use all my M lenses

Edited by erick
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have ordered mine (yesterday), and I'm really quite excited about it.

The main lens I tend to use on the M is the 28 summicron, ideal for street photography and architecture. I also love to use a 50. I tend to not use 35mm much more because it is in between, even though a one lens compromise it is probably the best thing. The M with a 50mm and the Q with a 28 would make a great pairing. 

I have been a big fan of the Sony A7 series, especially the A7s for high iso. I might even get the A7RII. I like the ability to have a second, lighter, camera to my M with a clear electronic viewfinder and, if I want it, the ability to use AF. I also like the low noise. But even on the A7S I often preferred to use it with a Leica 28mm Summicron lens, and of course the compatibility was never perfect. So the Q will be a very good solution for me. Finally, on many trips I often prefer to have a film camera, these days the Hasselblad XPan, as my main camera for creative photography, but want a very good back up digital. The M remains my best, favourite digital camera. But if I take it as a back up I'm tempted to take at least 2 lenses and by then it's really too heavy and publ. to lug around in a small bag with something like the XPan, or my Rollei. Again, the Q would be a perfect solution.

I have been very impressed with the image quality, and Ming Thien's and Jono's review. And being someone who loves 28mm it couldn't really be a better match for me - so I have taken the plunge early and ordered.

• Like 1

I tend to follow Nick with my camera purchases. :)

But I am going to wait until I can walk into a store and try it.

One comforting thing is the plaudits this camera has got from reviewers - instead of the usual apologies for recent Leica compromises they all agree IQ, speed, ergonomics etc are excellent.

LouisB

Edited by biglouis
  • Like 1

I have pre-ordered it and stopped my pre-order one day later

I  prefer a A7r II , same  quality or even better , much more flexibility,  cheaper,  and I can use all my M lenses

Enjoy.  If you want to use your M lenses to their best, an M camera will likely get you better results than a Sony even if the Sony has more pixels. The A7r was difficult to focus manually especially with wide angles, and there was smearing too.   But maybe Sony has now fixed everything.  Even so, I could just never get comfortable with the menus and control wheel system on the Sony.

• Like 2

here is one, but in Danish...

KG

John

very macho unboxing compared to the others I have seem with white gloves etc. Maybe next we will see the box being ripped apart, the manuals burnt and the strap thrown into the bin where most seem to end up.

• Like 1

It boils down to two simple questions:

Is 28mm ...OK with you?

Are you OK with parting with 4K+ ?

Agreed, and the answer for me is a resounding "no".   I have however been toying with the idea of picking up an X1, they're in the $600 range now, and I have a Voigtlander 35mm B/L finder lying around gathering dust.  Ik the AF is supposedly slow, but I'd probably hyperfocal it mostly, the way I tend to with 35mm lens on my M's. 

Enjoy.  If you want to use your M lenses to their best, an M camera will likely get you better results than a Sony even if the Sony has more pixels. The A7r was difficult to focus manually especially with wide angles, and there was smearing too.   But maybe Sony has now fixed everything.  Even so, I could just never get comfortable with the menus and control wheel system on the Sony.

I initially got a Nex6 to back up my M240, no IQ issues with wides thanks to the sensor size and specs, and a much better EVF than the add-on for the M, but it's still an EVF and as such focusing is way more difficult for me than either rangefinder or SLR.  When I got the second M I haven't used the NEX since. 

Hmmm...I'm facing an existential dilemma with this one. I've posted it elsewhere with zero responses, but I'm in the position currently of needing to decide asap between this new Q or an M 240 M-P with the new 28mm 'Lux that was recently announced. Long story short, Im selling all my Nikon/Zeiss kit accumulated over last 20 years...well...most of it, and getting rid of the massive DSLR body and lens combos. I only want to walk around with two focal lengths...28/50. I ordered a new M Monochrom, the 50 APO F/2 'cron AND the 28 'Lux. Didn't know the Q was coming. 

So, for me, the question is always image fidelity straight out of camera. Pretend the $$ wasn't an issue (not neccesarily true:), the weight and size differences are known, but not too far apart to be a concern, and the aforementioned issue being IQ ONLY. 

Which combo would you take? 

Either way, I want two bodies, one color, one Mono, and the two focal lengths....

What would you do here? Why?

Hmmm...I'm facing an existential dilemma with this one. I've posted it elsewhere with zero responses, but I'm in the position currently of needing to decide asap between this new Q or an M 240 M-P with the new 28mm 'Lux that was recently announced. Long story short, Im selling all my Nikon/Zeiss kit accumulated over last 20 years...well...most of it, and getting rid of the massive DSLR body and lens combos. I only want to walk around with two focal lengths...28/50. I ordered a new M Monochrom, the 50 APO F/2 'cron AND the 28 'Lux. Didn't know the Q was coming. 

So, for me, the question is always image fidelity straight out of camera. Pretend the $$ wasn't an issue (not neccesarily true:), the weight and size differences are known, but not too far apart to be a concern, and the aforementioned issue being IQ ONLY. 

Either way, I want two bodies, one color, one Mono, and the two focal lengths....

Welcome to the forum. I would say buy the 240 MP and 28. While the Q is certainly a great camera, you will have more options with the MP should you want additional lens down the road. You will essentially learn one camera system with the Monochrom and MP. The 50 APO is a great choice I might add.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. I would say buy the 240 MP and 28. While the Q is certainly a great camera, you will have more options with the MP should you want additional lens down the road. You will essentially learn one camera system with the Monochrom and MP. The 50 APO is a great choice I might add.

I'd agree with bill on this one. I'd also add that the M246 and M240P share the same accessories and finally and most importantly it would be a crying shame not to be able to use the superb 50 APO for colour as well as monochrome.

• Like 1

I tend to follow Nick with my camera purchases. :)

But I am going to wait until I can walk into a store and try it.

One comforting thing is the plaudits this camera has got from reviewers - instead of the usual apologies for recent Leica compromises they all agree IQ, speed, ergonomics etc are excellent.

LouisB

Leica Mayfair have a demo model. I spent about an hour playing with it on Thursday.

I have just made the switch from the Sony RX1R to the Leica Q which I got today. The main reasons for the switch was the 28mm instead of the 35mm and the build in EVF. And the Leica Q is the only Leica which I can afford ;-)