Q accessories - which ones? Or 3rd party?

Guest jvansmit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhap sadly, I've just bought my first 'accessory' for the Q: some sticky tape to cover the thumb-wheel. 

I might be wrong but the thumbwheel is set to exposure compensation only when in aperture priority mode, and my clumsy hand keeps knocking the thumbwheel  -to -EV...or worse to +1EV.

iIn a quick exchange earlier today, John Vink (Magnum) also commented that he's using tape on his Q ...to cover the microphone holes when shooting in the rain.
Edited by jvansmit
  • Like 1

Hi,

I bought the handgrip, the fingerloop and the holster for the Q.

Very comfortable, the Q with the grip and loop fit in the holster when an inside strip is removed in the holster.

When the Q is in the holster, there is a leather strap that fits over the top of the Q to prevent it to fall out.

I need this holster solution!!!  So great!  

I felt the grip & finger loops are worth having - and I was right.  Very secure handling. Of course the loops need to be bought separately :mellow:  - good thing is, they are available in different sizes.

How about LCD screen protector for Leica Q? I would prefer a glass typed screen protector (such as from Giottos) instead of the screen protector film from Leica? Any idea?

I dropped my Leica M9 to the floor recently. Lucky me, I had the Giottos glass on .... 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I dropped my Leica M9 to the floor recently. Lucky me, I had the Giottos glass on .... 

Giottos has a website which lists the various screen protectors available from them. None of them is a perfect fit as far as I can tell. The display of the Q is around 69mm x 44mm or mayb 7 x 4,5. The position of the keys and other elements allow for a maybe 2-3mm frame and the display has a maybe 5mm dark area on the left side (under the "glass").

I have made my own protector by cutting down a leftover iphone protector - the Leica one is ordered but no delivery date has been communicated so far.

Does the protector half case feel too flimsy to protect the camera from knocks?

The protector is fine. It has a very solid bottom plate due to the flap. It will protect the sides of the Q. Compared to the protector for the old and new M I am inclined to say that build quality has suffered - this might just be the choice of material (type of leather); I have only handled it for a few minutes and then decided to go for a holster setup instead.

• Like 1

The protector is fine. It has a very solid bottom plate due to the flap. It will protect the sides of the Q. Compared to the protector for the old and new M I am inclined to say that build quality has suffered - this might just be the choice of material (type of leather); I have only handled it for a few minutes and then decided to go for a holster setup instead.

I wish it is made with thicker leather. It also looks a bit slippery to hold the camera for the material used. 

Hoping that 3rd party cases get released soon. I'm looking forward to something from Artisan & Artist, or something in that price range. Better still if the case has a built in hand grip. 

Edited by R99

Has anyone duct-taped the red dot?

Of course and the microphone holes and Leica Q on the top plate. The only accessory I have is the grip which transforms the handling of the camera. The finger loop could be nice but I just refuse to pay £90 for it which is the same price as the grip

• Like 2

I'm also wondering if the leather protector enhances the grip?

I like the idea of the hand grip but it did mean having to remove it every time you want to open the battery/card hatch.

It is either the leather "protector" or the hand grip. You are spot on with battery/card access with the battery grip. However, used to Ms, that does not really kill me. Its a bid like removing the bottom plate.

David J. Millstein posted (to Facebook "Leica Q User Group") his Thumbs Up (made by Sony RX1) for his Q which fits into the hot shoe like all of these devices do. He said "... the thumb grip is on a pivot that swings out of the way on the Sony to give access to a button beneath the thumb grip. It fits the Q perfectly, has a locking mechanism to hold it in the hot shoe and allows the right thumb easy access to the cropping button that sits beneath the thumb grip. Its a way better grip than the thumb cutout on the back of the camera but it isn't cheap ....."

David (if being a member in this forum), thank you very much for the suggestion and sharing.

Edited by d0c0m0
  • Like 1

Lens Cap.  The lens cap from the Leica 135mm works beautifully on the Q.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/30239-REG/Leica_14001_49E_Lens_Cap_for.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

David J. Millstein posted (to Facebook "Leica Q User Group") his Thumbs Up (made by Sony RX1) for his Q which fits into the hot shoe like all of these devices do. He said "... the thumb grip is on a pivot that swings out of the way on the Sony to give access to a button beneath the thumb grip. It fits the Q perfectly, has a locking mechanism to hold it in the hot shoe and allows the right thumb easy access to the cropping button that sits beneath the thumb grip. Its a way better grip than the thumb cutout on the back of the camera but it isn't cheap ....."

David (if being a member in this forum), thank you very much for the suggestion and sharing.

David also came up with a follow on Facebook update about Match Technical Thumbs Up for Leica M240 also works perfect with the Q. There is no pivot to flip. The Thumbs Up covers the frame line button with a fraction away from it and the frame line button can be activated by depressing the Thumbs Up device.

David, thanks for the info.

Giottos has a website which lists the various screen protectors available from them. None of them is a perfect fit as far as I can tell. The display of the Q is around 69mm x 44mm or mayb 7 x 4,5. The position of the keys and other elements allow for a maybe 2-3mm frame and the display has a maybe 5mm dark area on the left side (under the "glass").

I have made my own protector by cutting down a leftover iphone protector - the Leica one is ordered but no delivery date has been communicated so far.

I found that the GGS glass screen protector which I bought (one extra) previously for Leica D-Lux 6 perfectly fits the Q's LCD; almost exact dimension.

I put the glass screen protector on to my Q; Touch Focus is working OK if I ever needed to do so. I can also scroll screens to play photos etc without problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just ordered the Arte di Mano case in black barenia leather.

I feel that some sort of grip assistance is definitely required and although I have the hand grip I find it adds a bit more height than necessary and should have had a cut out to give battery access. The case I've ordered addresses both of these.

Will post pics when I receive it

The glass screen protector for the D-Lux works on the Q (thanks d0c0m0!)  I just got mine today and I am impressed with the fit and quality.  The touchscreen also seems to be working fine with this glass protector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281217011260?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by smartbot