Q accessories - which ones? Or 3rd party?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just pulled the trigger. Will have my Q on Monday.

I'm not sure if I want to hang this one around my neck like I do the M.

Also, unlike the M, and more like the T, the accessories seem much better designed to integrate ergonomically.

So, which accessories do you plan to buy for the Q?

I'm thinking either the hand grip or the half case - either of which would make the camera secure to hand carry without a neck strap and I can carry it in a bag (and sometimes use it as a companion to an M+50 on my neck).

The holster looks well designed, but I'm not sure I'd want the whole 'sash' like strap slung over my shoulder. If it was a holster to attach to a belt maybe. But perhaps that would be too heavy.

I'm not sure about that bag - as cool a design as it is. I can think of a lot of times when I might not want attention drawn to the bag and its contents.

No doubt Arte de Mano, Leicatime, Gariz and others will be rushing to the party.

So, what's it going to be for you?

Hand grip.  I'm not a case person.  As for bags, I have been barred by SWMBO from buying any more bags.   She doesn't care about cameras, just bags that clutter up everywhere.  I think it is possible that bags can reproduce when in close proximity because I don't remember buying them all.

• Like 4

Probably nothing, but perhaps the grip depending on price (anybody seen the official accessories listed for sale on a UK site yet please?).

Although I buy bags like they're going out of fashion and am still looking for the perfect option for me - which is a casual messenger style bag that doesn't scream "expensive camera in here!" yet still has good safe storage compartments and easy/fast access.

I am a half case guy and I am quite excited about the fact that both the half case and the full case are supposed to have a flap for easy access to battery and SD card.

(at least, that's what the manual of the camera says)

the grip is a standard screw on grip with no opening to reach the battery.

• Like 1

The grip is a lot better than the case for stabilizing the camera. I tried both but bought neither. I bought mine naked. May go for the grip eventually. I think, like you, this camera will spend more time in my hand than on my neck.

• Like 1

I tried out the handgrip on the camera in the leica store Mayfair and it really helps the handling. This will be the only accessory I get for the camera as I don't like half cases because they add to the overall size of the camera

and the grip doesn't?

• Like 2

and the grip doesn't?

Not really. Of course it adds the grip to the corner of the camera and a few mm to the height but the overall girth of the camera is not effected. Of course some people will prefer to have a half-case I just personally don't like them. I also find the grip makes the camera so much easier to hold singlehanded or with the camera in your hand down by your side

Edited by viramati

I had the handgrip and the fingerloop on my X and I will buy them also for the Q.

I don`t like cases or shoulderstraps too so for me it is the best solution to handle the cam.

And, by the way, I have a better grip on it cause the cam gets bigger....

Greets from Munich

I just got my Q last night. I'm about to fly to France for a week there so this camera is goi g to get a lot of use.

At HKG airport a few minutes ago I tried the handgrip and large finger loop. For me these are ergonomically perfect. I've always been a just-a-strap guy, but the grip and finger loop combination looks very workable and the quality seems in keeping with the camera. The grip is finished with the same material - a very grippy rubbery 'leatherette' - that feels especially secure with the grip. I think some will find the grip alone to be enough but my fingers are long and I found that awkward.

Sadly they couldn't sell me the set - only demo stock (which I also tried to buy to no avail).

So this trip will be with rhe supplied strap.

I just got my Q last night. I'm about to fly to France for a week there so this camera is goi g to get a lot of use.

At HKG airport a few minutes ago I tried the handgrip and large finger loop. For me these are ergonomically perfect. I've always been a just-a-strap guy, but the grip and finger loop combination looks very workable and the quality seems in keeping with the camera. The grip is finished with the same material - a very grippy rubbery 'leatherette' - that feels especially secure with the grip. I think some will find the grip alone to be enough but my fingers are long and I found that awkward.

Sadly they couldn't sell me the set - only demo stock (which I also tried to buy to no avail).

So this trip will be with rhe supplied strap.

Post lots of images please.

Has anyone added a filter for added protection?

Yes, I am using a Sony filter (ahem) made by Carl Zeiss with T* coating - this is the protection filter (coated glass only) introduced in the early days of the NEX system and simple something I had left. The Leica Q lens hood will hide the Sony logo  :)

There are Leica branded filter (UVA), but they seem to be in the process of changing partners because a lot of sizes are sold out and have been unavailable for months. 

I recommend a premium brand filter: Leica (if you wish), Carl Zeiss or B+W is what I have used so far. In my early days, I have also been tempted into buying supermarket filters such as Mirumi, Hama and typical OEM stuff branded by the shop. I understand that Hama is now using Hoya filters, which is not bad but still a level below B+W.

I'd like to avoid a filter discussion, so let me just say: I have a newborn who is discovering her fingers and where she can smear her saliva. Since the Leica Q with its 28mm lens is not exactly a "let-me-shoot-your-nostrils-from-3m-away" kind of camera, I think whatever the theoretical image quality loss due to the added glass is not worth thinking about.

• Like 2

Hi,

I bought the handgrip, the fingerloop and the holster for the Q.

Very comfortable, the Q with the grip and loop fit in the holster when an inside strip is removed in the holster.

When the Q is in the holster, there is a leather strap that fits over the top of the Q to prevent it to fall out.

For me this is a very nice solution as I do not like neck straps too much.

On the other hand, the day bag seems to be only sub-optimal to say it mild....

The Q will only fit in the bag WITHOUT the sunshade, NOT GOOD!

Have fun with the Q, I have it!

John

p.s. the accessories were available in Luxembourg at the main Leica dealer, that had sold 20 Q within 2 days!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by satijntje
  • Like 3