Lens Hood Cap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I just received the Q today, so far extremely pleased :)

That said,  one extreme annoying issue is the lens hood/cap. why don't they include a lens hood cap? Instead you have to unscrew the lens hood to put the lens cap on, so annoying.

Can anyone think of any other option ? 

Thanks in advance...

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just received the Q today, so far extremely pleased :)

That said,  one extreme annoying issue is the lens hood/cap. why don't they include a lens hood cap? Instead you have to unscrew the lens hood to put the lens cap on, so annoying.

Can anyone think of any other option ? 

Thanks in advance...

I have discovered that the Fuji lens cap for the their 35mm F1.4 lens with lens hood on the lens works like a charm.

The challenge will be getting the cap from Fuji. I hear it can be ordered. I happened to have a Fuji XE2 with 35mm F1.4 lens and decided just for fun to try it. Fuji provides a cap for their lens hoods in the box.

That all said the original Q cap is fine.. I like the Fuji cap as it is quick and easy to take on and off and if I loose it no big deal. 

Cheers, Terry

Edited by terrycioni

Getting parts from Fuji is actually very easy. You call the number or send email to the address listed on their website. I have done this before and they will sell anything that comes in the box. 

However, the proper hood for the Q's lens hood is the one that comes with the camera. It is tight, but will loosen up a little with regular use. 

I will just let pictures speak for themselves. I have three different lens caps for 49mm that I purchased from Amazon some time ago. None of them fits; all of them are pinch grip.

Maybe a very very thin one will fit - why you would rather wedge one in instead of using the hood supplied by Leica (for free) is beyond me.

If indeed you have that one miracle cap that fits, I suggest you provide brand and details on how to get it... so that people reading your post actually have a chance of following your suggestion.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bernie.lcf
  • Like 1

Now here is something strange.  I mistakenly picked up a 46mm lens cap, and it fits with the hood on.  Not well because of the ears but perhaps a centerpinch 46mm would.   Why this is so, I cannot say.

• Like 1

Why worrying a hood cap? The hood itself is protecting the lens. If you wanted double lens protection, just add a 49mm UV lens (mine is the thin one from B+W). This should be more than sufficient [emoji6]

• Like 2

After two weeks of use the lining inside the lens hood cover has started to come unstuck.  It appears that it gets caught by the lens hood as the cover is put over the hood.  Not impressed. The cover won't go on the lens hood properly now.  

Travelling at present and will seek to get it replaced by Leica when I get home.

Anyone else had this problem??

I will just let pictures speak for themselves. I have three different lens caps for 49mm that I purchased from Amazon some time ago. None of them fits; all of them are pinch grip.

Maybe a very very thin one will fit - why you would rather wedge one in instead of using the hood supplied by Leica (for free) is beyond me.

If indeed you have that one miracle cap that fits, I suggest you provide brand and details on how to get it... so that people reading your post actually have a chance of following your suggestion.

That is one ugly cap. I actually like the Leica cap. I only use it when storing the camera. When I'm shooting I leave it in the bag, the hood protects the lens.

After two weeks of use the lining inside the lens hood cover has started to come unstuck.  It appears that it gets caught by the lens hood as the cover is put over the hood.  Not impressed. The cover won't go on the lens hood properly now.  

Travelling at present and will seek to get it replaced by Leica when I get home.

Yep. Mine is completely shot. 

• 4 weeks later...

The lining in my lens hood cap also came unstuck after a couple of weeks, which then means that it doesn't stay on. I'm in a hot climate (Singapore) and I think the adhesive melted. I've now lined the inside band of the lens hood cap with a couple of strips of thin insulating tape and it works as a temporary solution, although less than ideal.

Yes, after 4 Weeks but far from fully unstuck. It just started at the edges. Let's see how it looks in a year. Had the same effect with my X. Finally never really bothered me.

- TK

I have discovered that the Fuji lens cap for the their 35mm F1.4 lens with lens hood on the lens works like a charm.

The challenge will be getting the cap from Fuji. I hear it can be ordered. I happened to have a Fuji XE2 with 35mm F1.4 lens and decided just for fun to try it. Fuji provides a cap for their lens hoods in the box.

That all said the original Q cap is fine.. I like the Fuji cap as it is quick and easy to take on and off and if I loose it no big deal. 

Cheers, Terry

Do you happen to have any pics with the Fuji cap attached to the Q?  It looks like Adorama sells them (http://www.adorama.com/IFJLHCP35.html)... just wanted to see what it looked like and how it attaches to see if it'd be worth it...  Does it stay on pretty well or is it loose at all?

Why worrying a hood cap? The hood itself is protecting the lens. If you wanted double lens protection, just add a 49mm UV lens (mine is the thin one from B+W). This should be more than sufficient [emoji6]

well said

I have the hood on and a filter mounted at all times, it more then enough protection and when not in use then the camera is in a bag and nothing can get to lens inside the bag.

Do you happen to have any pics with the Fuji cap attached to the Q?  It looks like Adorama sells them (http://www.adorama.com/IFJLHCP35.html)... just wanted to see what it looked like and how it attaches to see if it'd be worth it...  Does it stay on pretty well or is it loose at all?

It stays on - much like it stays on the Fuji 35mm lens. I would say just OK.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by terrycioni