10 years too late

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great  stuff from Leica but alas probably too late in the making  and will rarely be used to its full potential. The days of wide-angle street shooting are disappearing fast , we live in very suspicious societies that are camera shy but amazingly not smartphone shy. With the rise of selfies, instagrams, Facebook, this is my new baby photos,  DIY journalism ( or better known as dob in a neighbor) dog and cat photos we no longer feel threatened  having our images posted on the net via smartphones ........................... there is almost a pride aspect about it I think it is called narcissism :wub:

But when someone takes photos of our child, ones self, friends and foes etc with a  black (silence and stealth of a hungry junkyard dog )camera it is a different ball game, ......  hey!!!! why are you taking that photo ? You can't do that!!@@!##...... the  air of suspicion arises  especially if it is close up and in one's personal space.

.............................. yup they should have made a 28m smartphone with a articulated screen :p

Edited by Imants
  • Like 1

No your interpreting it as  local folklore  those lead feet of yours  need reviving maybe titanium :p:D  leica should to be for the masses but you would probably hate to see that happen

Edited by Imants

Great  stuff from Leica but alas probably too late in the making  and will rarely be used to its full potential. 

A lot of Leica's stuff is rarely used to its full potential, but I believe there is a strong market demand for this focal length and it really makes sense as a travel camera. You can always crop, and 28mm is wide enough for architecture, interior group shots, and selfies without being annoyingly distorted like the 24mm wide end equivalent of many point and shoot cameras. I personally would get more use out of a 35mm version, but I find it smart not to go head to head with what Sony/ Zeiss already have on the market.

• Like 2

The big problem of the M system is, that the cameras are mostly useless, unless you learn to focus and operate the aperture as a minimum. That excludes quite a large amount of possible customers. And that makes the Q such a great alternative: keep everything on "A" and you have a good probability to get a good picture - at least it will be properly focused and exposed. And due to the great fast lens and the full frame sensor, even people who are not much into photography have a good chance to capture really great shots.

Peter

• Like 1

No your interpreting it as  local folklore  those lead feet of yours  need reviving maybe titanium :p:D  leica should to be for the masses but you would probably hate to see that happen

Speak for yourself. Photoshy is a local phenomena.

I have done so called 'street photography' now for many years using a leica M series camera (often a chrome model) and 28 mm lens, I have also used other cameras and lenses and like to get in close and often in areas where others fear to tread. I can think of only 1 time that I have been challenged about what I am doing and then I just walked away. It is more down to your behaviour, dress and technique than the camera you are using.

examples can be seen on my website if you click the link

Edited by viramati
  • Like 3

The Q is not limited to street shooting, obviously.  And the number of people carrying cameras, at least in Melbourne (Australia), is increasing all the time.  Go out and there's at least one person with a camera around their neck or across a shoulder.  Many more if you're in the CBD.  And while a lot of people take photos with their cellphones, at least as many use point and shoots, and a fair number use DSLR's of varying sizes, so at least in Melbourne, we're in a society that is saturated with picture taking and picture-making devices.

More often that not, I'll have a camera across my shoulder, whether its the M9 or a m43 camera like the Olympus EM-5 or Panasonic GH3.  Whenever I go on a trip, a camera is across my shoulder or in my hand, whether in Japan, Hong Kong, China or even just interstate.  The camera goes back in a bag if I feel uneasy at any time, but mostly it's fine.  I can absolutely imagine using this as a travel camera, and for everyday situations where I know I'll want top level image quality.

The Q has a fast, wide lens; a full frame sensor; reportedly very fast operation; and is smaller than, and about 2/3rd's the weight of, a M.  For me, this is magic.  I have waited for a camera like this for years.  Ten years too late?  Such a camera was technologically impossible ten years ago.  Better late than never.

• Like 6