10 years too late

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wow, a whole lot of wrong there! Eric Kim is a good photographer imo and an excellent and generous "teacher". His style of street photography is very much the opposite of what you describe (he advises against from the hip shooting for example).

Wow, a whole lot of wrong there! Eric Kim is a good photographer imo and an excellent and generous "teacher". His style of street photography is very much the opposite of what you describe (he advises against from the hip shooting for example).

Okay, maybe a bad example. Maybe I'm thinking of some other camera fan boy. But my statement stands on the average state of 'street' photography as practiced by amateurs today.

And consider that none of the greats (and many working today in the candid genre) called themselves 'street photographers' (Winogrand loathed the term). They thought of themselves merely as 'photographers.' Kim's a fine photographer, for what it is, but I don't see he's done much with it other than generate a perceived need for people to take his workshops. 

The so called photographic art /worth   is not the  individual photos but instagram itself . The  Q is not a part of the social media world its users will sit in the old forum format of posting pictures with the intent of showing of the camera and the individuals skills. Is that enough in this day and age?

• 5 weeks later...

Played with the Q fantastic files, no dramas with the 28mm lens ........................ great for those photographers that take care with their equipment, too pricey for rough and tumble  grub photography. I can see why those that appreciate cameras enjoy this camera. For the creative it doesn't bring that much more to the table than the M series. Pass for now.

28mm is the most popular focal length in the world, thanks to the iPhone.  The Q is chasing the next generation of Leica owners.

This product is the only way Leica is going to stay in business long after the last rangefinder camera owner, manual transmission driver and newspaper/magazine reader passes away. 

In 2014, Leica's sales increased for the second year in a row. This cannot be said for Nikon or Canon. Leica is profitable (approximately 13% margin after tax) and while the sales numbers are smaller than the Japanese giants, they are growing, while the giants are shrinking. (Fujifilm also enjoyed higher sales in their camera division).

Take a moment to consider these facts in light if the large investments Leica has made in retail stores, research and product development and the new Wetzlar facility.  The success of the Q will undoubtedly accelerate the revenue and profit growth trends the company has enjoyed. Never bet against Leica....

The financial records are public, per German regulations, and are online for anyone to see.

My street strategy starting out was to ask permission. I want a long time and never got a "no". That gave me the guts to try a few without asking. Still no stitches in my head from a swinging purse or backpack after just firing away. I think we photographers make more of this than our potential subjects.