Annoying M8 shutter release buzzing sound

atatexan

Agree on the obnoxious sound…only way I fixed it was to buy the M240…quieter and smoother release.  The M8.2 is a great camera, but now serves as a (noisy) back-up.

BTW, it's not the shutter sound on the M8, but the re-cock motor noise that offends.  One can use discreet mode, but it only delays the inevitable sound. 

Jeff

Agree that it is noisy when holding the camera to your eye, but surprisingly, most people not even notice the sound when I am using it.

Try it out... 

Pass the camera to some friend and then let him take a few pictures of you wile in a busy street or just on a party...

You will be surprised how easy it is to overlook the sound when you are at a distance of 2m or so.

Never use the discrete mode. It splits up the inevitable in 2 bursts of sound. So better use normal and get it over with right after the shot.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, completely overblown problem...since Leica's first foray into digital...unfortunately the noise has to be there after film cameras. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind...

If you are a right-eyed person, then you have the noisy, clanging going straight into your lug-holes (ears);  right near the all-metal (high noise) chassis where the mechanism is.

A fractional distance away, enormously attenuates the sound and becomes quite unobtrusive.

One the other hand...a story...the shutter-rewind was noticed...last week travelling in E Australia...took some M8 portraits of a young family and Wendy commented on " ...nice sound of the camera.."

Make of it what you will; I've never let it worry me.  And don't mind it at all...makes me feel like I've taken an image..... :lol:

cheers Dave S

Edited by david strachan

Hi all, 

I didn't want to start a new topic because I didn't want to duplicate posts so here is my problem.

I ordered a Leica M8 from eBay that had undergone the shutter upgrade. It only has about 2000 shutter actuations. I'm new to Leica. However I've been encountering a scary sounding shutter lock up type sound that occurs randomly when I press the shutter or half-press to activate the exposure metering.

Is this normal or does anybody know what is causing it?

The strange this is the camera actually takes a photo and stores it.

Here is a video of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQaeVHKVz6M

The first 2 tries exhibits the symptoms. It stops for a while and then maybe half way through the video it happens again. For the rest of the video it doesn't happen but it seems to pop up randomly.

I've had this camera for half a day.....

The lens is a Zeiss 35mm F2 Biogon

• Like 1

Hi all, 

I didn't want to start a new topic because I didn't want to duplicate posts so here is my problem.

I ordered a Leica M8 from eBay that had undergone the shutter upgrade. It only has about 2000 shutter actuations. I'm new to Leica. However I've been encountering a scary sounding shutter lock up type sound that occurs randomly when I press the shutter or half-press to activate the exposure metering.

Is this normal or does anybody know what is causing it?

The strange this is the camera actually takes a photo and stores it.

Here is a video of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQaeVHKVz6M

The first 2 tries exhibits the symptoms. It stops for a while and then maybe half way through the video it happens again. For the rest of the video it doesn't happen but it seems to pop up randomly.

I've had this camera for half a day.....

The lens is a Zeiss 35mm F2 Biogon

Your problem has been reported. It has to do with the shutter re-winding. The motor is not correctly engaging with the winding mechanism. Therefore the motor keeps running and you hear the clicking sound every time the motor passes the starting point. You can find more on this topic when you google on Anatomy Leica M8 Mark Norton. The fix should not be difficult but needs to be done by Leica.

The problem is always what additional issues will Leica CS find and how much will they charge for fixing them? Wish you luck!

Maarten

Your problem has been reported. It has to do with the shutter re-winding. The motor is not correctly engaging with the winding mechanism. Therefore the motor keeps running and you hear the clicking sound every time the motor passes the starting point. You can find more on this topic when you google on Anatomy Leica M8 Mark Norton. The fix should not be difficult but needs to be done by Leica.

The problem is always what additional issues will Leica CS find and how much will they charge for fixing them? Wish you luck!

Maarten

Thank you for the info Maarten. After I posted that video, I took the camera out for the night. Shot about another 50 shots. Probably has not cropped up since. Keeping my fingers crossed that maybe it was a temporary issue from being listed on eBay for so long :p

Yes, completely overblown problem...since Leica's first foray into digital...unfortunately the noise has to be there after film cameras. 

Last I checked, the M240 is digital, and a pleasure sound-wise compared to the obnoxious M8.2 motor whirr….although the M8.2 is a gem in many other respects.

Different strokes….(so to speak)...

Jeff 

i had that Problem when using thirdpartybatteries that where almost used-up. it went up to the camera completely hanging up. putting in an original and fully loaded Leica-battery would always solve the Problem.

i got myself a second original battery and will now leave the thirdpartybatteries at home. i didn't experience the Problem eversince.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, those who have heard the shutter and rewind noise of my M8.2 for the first time loved and complimented it very much. 
They said it's really unique and preferred it than other more silent digital cameras. And they are not Leica shooters and some don't even own a camera !