Is the new Q the future M-E

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why shouldn't Leica make an interchangeable lens version of this camera with a range of AF lenses? They seem to have all of the technology in place. Why go to all the trouble to design this and not expand on the design? The M can't do it all and another system will keep some Leica M users from buying from Leica's  competitors to fullfill what the M can't do for them. And they'll get some new users too.

If you look at Leica's evolution of their APS cameras, they went from fixed prime to fixed zoom to interchangeable lenses. Maybe they'll skip the fixed zoom this time.

It would be dumb to use an M mount on this as that would be too limiting. M lenses could work via an adapter just as with other mirrorless cameras but the primary goal should be to design and sell a new line of lenses. The M camera exists for M lenses.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 5

[...] And now imagine the "New M" presented fall 2015 - in two versions: an M-Q with EVF and an M-P with optical rangefinder, both with M-bayonet for any lense which suits the M.  Would anybody have problems with such a proposal? 

Brilliant idea indeed! ;)

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

Why shouldn't Leica make an interchangeable lens version of this camera with a range of AF lenses? They seem to have all of the technology in place. The M can't do it all and another system will keep some Leica M users from buying from Leica's  competitors to fullfill what the M can't do for them. And they'll get some new users too.

If you look at Leica's evolution of their APS cameras, they went from fixed prime to fixed zoom to interchangeable lenses. Maybe they'll skip the fixed zoom this time.

It seems it has a leaf shutter. That might make an interchangeable version that accepts M lenses problematic. They don't have to make it M-compatible, but it would produce some grumbles!

That is true for current M photographers... that is why they came to the M system after all... but, what about new potential M photographers?

My son (teenager) is new to photography and he doesn't like EVF !!

But if EVF improve to a point that there is no difference compared to optical VF then I do not think people will care about. For now, the difference is actual scene vs watching on a mini TV screen. I do not know how good Q's EVF is though.

It seems it has a leaf shutter. That might make an interchangeable version that accepts M lenses problematic. They don't have to make it M-compatible, but it would produce some grumbles!

Why can't an interchangeable lens camera have both focal plane and leaf shutter?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"Why can't an interchangeable lens camera have both focal plane and leaf shutter?" Possible, but overly complicated and not many advantages to it. An interchangeable lens leaf shutter camera system won't have compatiblity with M lenses or those from other brands.

How hard is it to add a focal plane shutter? They did this going from the X to the T. Sony has the RX-1 with leaf shutter and that didn't keep them from making the A7 series with FP. The point is Leica did all of the work making a full frame body with integrated viewfinder, touchscreen and other controls, programming firmware, etc. Leica obviously is showing the direction they are heading.  They really can't do much more to the M except periodically upgrade the components or they will be losing core customers. So they are developing several lines of modern AF cameras in order to have the potential to grow the brand.

To attract customes, they'll need to make a reasonable number of lenses off the bat unless they want to encourage people to use adapters for their Nikon and Canon glass as Sony did early on. (Unlikely) But how hard is it to come out with a line of lenses if you commision others to make them for you?

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 1

Why can't an interchangeable lens camera have both focal plane and leaf shutter?

Expense, however we have had large format cameras with both leaf and focal plane shutters for over 60 years. The later Pentax 6x7 also had both with a particular lens.

...but does the Q really have a leaf shutter?

Edited by pico

Brilliant idea indeed! ;)

It may be brilliant but will never happen.

Leica has the M line for FF interchangeable lens, Q for FF fixed lens, X is APSC-C fixed lens and T isAPS-C interchangeable lens.

The Panaleicas bring up the rest

Let's not forget that the Q has an integrated electronic shutter. Further developed, This would negate the need for either a leaf or a focal plane shutter.

Electronic shutters will have to improve dramatically in speed. I'm sure they will, but they aren't here yet.

To make interchangeable M lenses possible on a future interchangeable lens Q camera would require a flange to sensor distance less than that of the M. Does anyone know what this dimension is on the Q? I think this would be possible.

I feel better, having read the tech specs on Leica's site.

Apparently, the camera I ordered today (arrives Friday) has a "mechanical and electronical" shutter!  :p

I had been worried that Leica was losing its way. Nice to see that the company continues to refuse to use the most elementary translation techniques for its "instructions." This is quite promising that Leica is also keeping its important strengths too.

• Like 1

...but does the Q really have a leaf shutter?

At least one review says so, and Jono Slack said so in a response on another forum. As well as the fully electronic shutter at high speeds.

My OMD EM5 has an electronic shutter which works at slow speed - which is one reason I bought it, for use in concerts. So I am surprised at the high speed limitation on the Q, and hope they change this in future firmware.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Therefore I wrote, that using one without the other makes no sense. No rangefinder, no Leica lenses - no compromises!

I do not agree !!

There are three completely different points which make up the digital M experience:

1. The sensor

2. the lens

3. the rangefinder

re 1.: Each digital M had a unique sensor, providing a special Leica feeling. The new Q sensor seems to provide what M9 and M 240 still missed, the special Leica color AND great ISO range.

re 2.: What Leica M lenses can provide has also been shown by the Ricoh M mount, which had just 12 Megapixel but, because of its adaptation to Leica optics, was able to provide great Leica images !!

re 3.: And the main point for the OVF always was the frame, the ability to see beyond the boundaries of the planned image: this is now also possible on the Q when using the JPEG 35mm frame option (although real M users will never use this). But you can easily use an external OVF on the Q, as many M users always did. BTW: I will use my Leica 24 mm external OVF with my pre-ordered Q.

It may be brilliant but will never happen.

Leica has the M line for FF interchangeable lens, Q for FF fixed lens, X is APSC-C fixed lens and T isAPS-C interchangeable lens.

The Panaleicas bring up the rest

... plus the S system but i wonder if you got what i meant. There are several Ms already. I imagined that we could have two different Ms in the future. A classical one with rangefinder (M as Messsucher) and a modern one with EVF (M as Mirrorless). Pure speculation from my part though.

To make interchangeable M lenses possible on a future interchangeable lens Q camera would require a flange to sensor distance less than that of the M. Does anyone know what this dimension is on the Q? I think this would be possible.

The Q is 3-4 mm thinner than my M9, so it would be thin enough for an M adapter.

Best regards,

Peter