NEW: Leica Q - Full Frame Compact with Leica M Feeling

Leica Q - Your Opinion  

627 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Leica Q interesting for you?

• I want one - where can I pre-order?
    • I'm interested, but I'll wait for tests
    • Interesting, but I want a 35mm or 50mm lens
    • Leica Q with interchangeable lenses please
    • Great supplement for my Leica M
    • Interesting but too expensive
    • Nothing for me...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with marchyman.   I have the SL and use it with only my M mount lenses - I had an M-P 240, but my aged eyes can't see as well as they used to so I went for the SL's EVF and sold my M.  I  typically carry the SL with my 50 Nocti f/1 and 90 APO, this works well on the street for me.   I was thinking about getting a 28mm Cron for the SL, but decided on the Q instead for this focal length. 

I have a Leica Sl and was thinking of possible;e buying the Q. Is the Sl or Q both good for street photography. The advantage of the Q is automatic 28mm 1.7 lens and is lighter. I have the m lens on the SL. If  buy the Q when would I use the SL?

You would use the SL whenever you wanted a focal length other than 28mm.

For me defintely it is worth the money. Compared to the X100T it is far beyond the image quality of the Fuji.

Perfect supplement to the M range.

Completely agree. I sold my Fuji X100T. I enjoyed it and took some nice photos, but the Q is superior for IQ. Full frame sensor makes a difference.

I have a Leica Sl and was thinking of possible;e buying the Q. Is the Sl or Q both good for street photography. The advantage of the Q is automatic 28mm 1.7 lens and is lighter. I have the m lens on the SL. If buy the Q when would I use the SL?

You have to throw into the equation that the Q lens is truely spectacular. IMHO that weighs it against a 28mm lens which doesn't exist anyway for the SL at the moment. The other thing is that the Q fits in my coat pocket :)

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You have to throw into the equation that the Q lens is truely spectacular. IMHO that weighs it against a 28mm lens which doesn't exist anyway for the SL at the moment. The other thing is that the Q fits in my coat pocket :)

your pockets are much larger than mine... ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

the Q is a nice, fast and handy camera. but how big is the sensor size actually? i think the Q is not really a "full-frame". indeed capture one shows the cutted sensor section. is it a large aps-h? is "28 mm full-frame" only leica marketing speech? 

the Q is a nice, fast and handy camera. but how big is the sensor size actually? i think the Q is not really a "full-frame". indeed capture one shows the cutted sensor section. is it a large aps-h? is "28 mm full-frame" only leica marketing speech?

The Q sensor is 24mm high and 36 mm wide just like 35 mm film was. It's full frame. No doubt.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested in getting this camera however the fact that it's not weather sealed is a bit of a worry.  Pity it's not weather/dust sealed considering the price and the fact it has a fixed lens.

Any reviews regarding the use of this camera in slight rain (not heavy rain).  I am still using a Nikon D700 and rain drops never worried me.

PLEASE IGNORE.  Found the Rain/Leica Q thread in another post in this forum.

Edited by MalcolmSammut

• 2 months later...

Completely agree. I sold my Fuji X100T. I enjoyed it and took some nice photos, but the Q is superior for IQ. Full frame sensor makes a difference.

I hesitate to be contrarian on a Leica enthusiast site. But I did not find the Leica files to be consistently better than what I get from my X100T. (I owned the Q for 9 months and really enjoyed it though). Factor in the added bulk and the price and it became much harder for me to justify over the fuji for similar type photography.

• Like 1

I hesitate to be contrarian on a Leica enthusiast site. But I did not find the Leica files to be consistently better than what I get from my X100T. (I owned the Q for 9 months and really enjoyed it though). Factor in the added bulk and the price and it became much harder for me to justify over the fuji for similar type photography.

Enjoy your Fuji X100T. It's a great camera too!

Actually with the resolution of the Q I find it covers 28 and 35 quite adequately (cropping)

This is an interesting point. The resolution of the Q's sensor is 24MP, which is more than adequate for the vast majority of photographic purposes. Still, with very large prints or very heavy cropping, the file will not hold up quite as well as one from a 42 or 50MP sensor camera, which is not to say that it won't be usable. But what I have found, is that images from the Q are sharper and more detailed than images I get from other 24MP cameras that I own (the Sony RX1 and A7ii). I can only attribute this to the absence of an AA filter on the Q and to its incredible Summilux lens. This has enabled me to take files with major crops and make beautiful prints at 11x14in.

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 1

This is an interesting point. The resolution of the Q's sensor is 24MP, which is more than adequate for the vast majority of photographic purposes. Still, with very large prints or very heavy cropping, the file will not hold up quite as well as one from a 42 or 50MP sensor camera, which is not to say that it won't be usable. But what I have found, is that images from the Q are sharper and more detailed than images I get from other 24MP cameras that I own (the Sony RX1 and A7ii). I can only attribute this to the absence of an AA filter on the Q and to its incredible Summilux lens. This has enabled me to take files with major crops and make beautiful prints at 11x14in.

even a 50mm crop ain't half bad

• Like 1