NEW: Leica Q - Full Frame Compact with Leica M Feeling

Leica Q - Your Opinion  

627 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Leica Q interesting for you?

• I want one - where can I pre-order?
    • I'm interested, but I'll wait for tests
    • Interesting, but I want a 35mm or 50mm lens
    • Leica Q with interchangeable lenses please
    • Great supplement for my Leica M
    • Interesting but too expensive
    • Nothing for me...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica has introduced the Leica Q a full-frame compact camera with Summilux 28mm lens.

We have all information and product images in our blog and a first review of the Leica Q.

The specs at a glance:

• Full format 24 MP CMOS Sensor
  • 28mm f1.7 Summilux lens
  • Digital zoom option for 35 or 50 mm
  • 3.68 MP EVF with digital frame selector
  • Contrast autofocus
  • Manual focussing with magnifier or focus peaking
  • 1/16,000 electronic shutter
  • max. ISO 50,000
  • Continuous shooting with up to 10 fps
  • Wifi / NFC
Question to you:

Is the Leica Q interesting for you?

Please vote above and comment below!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LUF Admin
Fixed URL to Jono's review
  • Like 7

I voted "nothing for me" because my favorite focal length is 50mm and the Q116 has too wide a DoF there let alone its small pixel count at 50mmm and the limited compactness of its body. I could be more interested by a camera covering 35/50/75(or 90) mm fields of view eventually but it would be even bulkier probably and the 75 or 90mm FoV would have too wide a DoF and too small a pixel count for my tastes i suspect so looks like that kind a camera is not made for me unfortunately. I wish the Q116 best of luck though! :)

I think it looks great, but the new Summilux-M 28/1.4, with the flexibility of 4 M bodies is a better investment for me.

Things I don't like?  Well, digital cropping, a lingering unease that some cheap piece of electronic tat is going to fail, costing me not just the camera but the lens as well ...  That said, I've always liked the concept of the Rx-1, and 28mm is my preferred focal length (along with 50, 75, 90 and let's not forget 21, and 35 can be useful sometimes  :) )

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 2

I think it looks great, but the new Summilux-M 28/1.4, with the flexibility of 4 M bodies is a better investment for me.

Yes. that's my thinking too (though I probably won't be buying the M lens either – at least not for a while).

a lingering unease that some cheap piece of electronic tat is going to fail

Just as a side-note to this, only today Leica replaced my M-A – the most electronic free camera that you can buy – because of an intermittent light leak problem that first showed up back in January and which was becoming less infrequent. Seems that nothing is forever, whether it contains electronic tat or not. :)

11420730_484669575015852_231234983_n.jpg

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 4

So many interesting ideas in the Q, all of which have been on my wish list: smaller size, electronic/silent shutter option, tethered/remote shooting option, faster start up (according to reviews so far), leading edge EVF (my experience with the OMD EM5 has taught me that latest EVFs are strong competitors for OVFs for responsiveness) and more.

Pity it's not interchangeable lens, though perhaps that will come, and I hope they don't go down the all-in-one route for other FLs, with their built in obsolescence.

OTOH, if they introduced an M mount interchangeable lens version, would I be satisfied with my current all manual lenses, or would I feel obliged to stock up on AF versions? I need a bigger wallet.

• Like 1

The new Q is certainly intriguing but far out of my of my economic range.  I had hoped that Leica might take pity on the rest of us and produce an affordable point and shoot with a Leica pedigree and a price that was reasonable.  Perhaps next time.  I keep hoping.  

Interesting. 28 is useful but I would also like 35 and 50 for a travel camera and 24 may be more handy at the wide end. I would prefer real zoom to digital zoom or you are sacrificing quality. I still prefer optical viewfinders. Interchangeable lenses would still be better IMO. I think the X series still looks like a good compact take-anywhere AF option.

Other thoughts:

• if Leica bought out screw-on lenses to increase the focal length (like Fuji did with the X100 family), then I'd be tempted
  • if it really had to be fixed FL and a tri-cron is not possible, then nearer to 40 mm would be good (I still have a thing for my Olympus 35 UC, which has a fixed 42mm lens)
  • the 40 mm summicron for the CL was a stunner... Bring it back on a fixed lens digital body with two adapters (wide and tele), and Leica could be on to a real winner