NEW: Leica Q - Full Frame Compact with Leica M Feeling

Leica Q - Your Opinion  

627 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Leica Q interesting for you?

• I want one - where can I pre-order?
    • I'm interested, but I'll wait for tests
    • Interesting, but I want a 35mm or 50mm lens
    • Leica Q with interchangeable lenses please
    • Great supplement for my Leica M
    • Interesting but too expensive
    • Nothing for me...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New offerings are always a bit exciting, but this one I have not purchased yet.

I have three primary concerns on the new Q:

1)  How clear and quick is the EVF versus an OVF?  I am blessed with very sharp vision, and no EVF has matched an OVF yet.  I remember some calculations that the human eye can resolve to 500+ megapixels, so 3.6 megapixels is a big step in the right direction, but has two more orders of magnitude to go.

2)  How bad is the EVF lag?  The old motion picture standard is 24 frames per second to look smooth to vision, so that's around 41.7 milliseconds for acceptable lag.  Does anyone know what the refresh rate is on the Q EVF?  By the way, the Steve Huff demo video shows what I consider to be a very acceptable AF lag.

3)  How scratch-prone is the rear touch screen?  Is it gorilla glass or something similar?  Leica offers screen protectors for dust and scratch protection - why does the screen need protection?  Now a Q-P (not to be confused with the antique doll by a similar name) with a sapphire screen cover would address this concern.

I am always open to new technologies.  I purchased and still own the X1, but added the OVF to make the shooting experience better.  I purchased and still own the X-Vario for the great lens at a great price ($<1K CPO), but the EVF-2 is unsatisfactory for resolution and lag, and I am not the biggest fan of Frankenstein shooting (at arms length).

One last question - how does one get invited by Leica to try these new things out in other than a store setting?  Any kind of loaner program in the works?  I buy lots of Leica gear, most recently the 28 Lux and hoping for the M246 next week, so I am a potential customer, but on something with the reservations I have for the Q, I would want more experience before committing the $4K.

Eric

Hi John

I didn't make these comments, and I agree with most of what you say - the reason I gave up on the A7 is because although the body was small, the zooms I wanted to use with it were neither small, fast or particularly good. Good Fast Full Frame Zoom lenses are going to be BIG - in which case why a small body? . . . . . . . and if I'm going to shoot primes I'd rather shoot a rangefinder than an EVF . . hence the M. . . . . and perhaps the best of the Nikon D750 is the current best small option.

If I want small, fast primes, then, to be honest, there's nothing to beat what I already have - a rangefinder M.

The Q is quite a different beast however, and using it is extremely seductive :)

Hi Jono,

Yes, I agree. After attending a photography weekend with some friends (in a beautiful spot in the Marlborough Sounds - mostly photographing birds) I realised the limitations of manually focusing small primes between 21mm & 90mm with a rangefinder. I got some great shots, but as I said at the time - I took a knife to a gunfight. 

So, I got a D800E, and two really nice lenses - a macro and a fast 80-400 zoom. They were HUGE!  I quickly realised why I liked my M cameras and primes so much - the Nikon went. Now I don't stress about photography I can't do. 

Not so much the A7 (mine went because of the shutter slap, and I couldn't form a productive relationship with the AF and the menu system - and of course it wouldn't play fair with my M lenses). Why did I buy it in the first place?  Simple - my photography revolves around Leica lenses and the optical rangefinder. I will use and repair my M cameras for as long as that is possible. 

But, that system is at its best between 21mm (well, really 28mm) and 90mm. That excludes macro, zooms and telephotos. Bearing in mind what I said above, what am I talking about?  Well, for years, my favourite lens was my Nikkor 180/2.8 IF-ED. it's about as long as I could usefully use handheld, it was tough, reliable and compact. The idea of a companion body, reasonably compact, with all the electronics I don't want on an M camera, taking M lenses and making macro, zoom and moderate tele remains appealing - that space is filled only by the A7 at the moment, and I'm not going back there. 

The T is a fun little camera, but it doesn't quite do it. The AF struggles a bit, and for action photography (kitesurfing, paragliding and the like) the blackout in the EVF unworkable. Oddly, the optical rangefinder is better (if you can imagine me, waste deep in the tide, holding an Edition 60 and AA Summicron 90 with kites jumping over me ...

So, there is a place for an A7 style camera, built by Leica, compatible with M lenses, but offering what the M never will. It's not competing with Sony so much as offering what Leica doesn't, forcing Leica customers to go to Sony (I know you have not made this comment). 

Cheers

John

Hi Jono,

The T is a fun little camera, but it doesn't quite do it. The AF struggles a bit, and for action photography (kitesurfing, paragliding and the like) the blackout in the EVF unworkable. Oddly, the optical rangefinder is better (if you can imagine me, waste deep in the tide, holding an Edition 60 and AA Summicron 90 with kites jumping over me ...

Hi John

I can agree to all of that . . . . but it seems to me that your tide and kites situation is easy - use an Olympus E-M5 mark 2 with the 40-150 (80-300 equiv) or the 70-300 (15-600) Lightning fast AF, no discernible blackout, proper weather sealing and decent image quality (after all, you aren't looking for limited DOF).

I wish the T performed like that - personally I think it's the only thing holding the system back.

All the best

• Like 1

+1 on the Olympus EM5ii - it opened my eyes to how good combined AF/MF, image stabilisation, EVF and electronic shutter could be.

Such extra tech has its downside in managing the options and menus, and I return with relief to the M, but it has its place.

My feelings exactly - I use it for telephoto and macro mostly but the lenses are great, and so are the ergonomics and the responsiveness (rather like the Q in fact!). The 75mm f1.8 really is a fine lens as well (if you have a need for a fast 150mm equivalent).

. . . and I return to my M with pleasure and relief, but the µ43 setup relieves me of the necessity of having a behemoth dSLR, and for that I'm deeply grateful!

Hi Guys

What is the shutter-recock sound???

Is it possible to turn off all sound, to just in-lens mechanical iris shutter?

Please advise the sound you owners hear...it might be an ultimate stealth and quick focus..

Is it an in-lens shutter??

cheers Dave S

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

Interesting suggestion - as I have a drawer full of Sony E-Mount adapters for M, is it worth dipping my toe back into the A7 waters (I know I'm going to regret this question). 

If you can live with an APS sensor look at the Sony A6000. Teamed with a M to E helicoid close focus adaptor you can cover near macro to moderate tele with your existing M lenses. Size and form factor very Leica like. I have both Sony A7 and A6000 but A6000 is increasingly the first choice for general shooting. With the correct lenses auto focus is extremely fast and accurate.

I'm afraid that my M8 lives in a cupboard and its lenses are also falling into disuse though they were the reason for buying the A7 in the first place.

Edited by mike_j

This Q type camera with 28/1.7 may be good and convenience for general purpose photography but I feel not like this length.

If it can be the interchangeable lens camera, I believe that'll be the great camera of the world and I'm waiting for, thank you.

This Q type camera with 28/1.7 may be good and convenience for general purpose photography but I feel not like this length.

If it can be the interchangeable lens camera, I believe that'll be the great camera of the world and I'm waiting for, thank you.

That will be a new M version.

Now having one of these, whilst people are saying how expensive it is, if you are happy with 28mm and 35mm (I would not crop to 50mm), given the lens quality, electronics and practicality (it feels much lighter than an M), it seems very good value.

So you will have to wait for a fully electronic M and it will be at M prices and there is no telling how long you will have to wait.

Hoping for some nice shots from the roof of the Lebua Club Hotel this summer! 

Hi Guys

What is the shutter-recock sound???

Is it possible to turn off all sound, to just in-lens mechanical iris shutter?

Please advise the sound you owners hear...it might be an ultimate stealth and quick focus..

Is it an in-lens shutter??

cheers Dave S

Hi Dave,  You won't hear anything, other than a very light and hardly noticeable  "woosh"

By the way, it is a leaf shutter.

Edited by larsv

Hmmm.

I'm just surprised; that's all.

All M8, M9,M 240 owners extensively criticized the shutter-recock sound. :blink:

Yet here is a near silent shutter??? No commentary.

Is it the quiet "shhlick" of an iris shutter only?...or a metal shutter too, near the sensor plane.

Users and Owners of the Leica Q please come forward with your stories of the shutter.

Thank you and regards, Dave S