NEW: Leica Q - Full Frame Compact with Leica M Feeling

Leica Q - Your Opinion  

627 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Leica Q interesting for you?

• I want one - where can I pre-order?
    • I'm interested, but I'll wait for tests
    • Interesting, but I want a 35mm or 50mm lens
    • Leica Q with interchangeable lenses please
    • Great supplement for my Leica M
    • Interesting but too expensive
    • Nothing for me...

• 6 months later...

Interview of Mark Shipard, Leica's head of Design, by Kevin Raber from Luminous Landscape. Pretty interesting. Not real in depth which is often the case with such interviews, but still some insight into the Leica design process and minimalist approach.

I do not think you need to be a member of Luminous Landscape to see this. If so, apologies. I'm not pushing Luminous Landscape although I personally enjoy being a member and checking out their site on occasion.

Here's the link:

https://luminous-landscape.com/leica-story-camera-design/

My apologies. I just tried the link while not being logged in and it does not allow viewing the video. For members, you can see it. It cost $12/yr. to join. Sorry.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 1

Interview of Mark Shipard, Leica's head of Design, by Kevin Raber from Luminous Landscape. Pretty interesting. Not real in depth which is often the case with such interviews, but still some insight into the Leica design process and minimalist approach.

I do not think you need to be a member of Luminous Landscape to see this. If so, apologies. I'm not pushing Luminous Landscape although I personally enjoy being a member and checking out their site on occasion.

Here's the link:https://luminous-landscape.com/leica-story-camera-design/

My apologies. I just tried the link while not being logged in and it does not allow viewing the video. For members, you can see it. It cost $12/yr. to join. Sorry.

FYI, I was able to watch the video at the link you provided without being a member no problem. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another great article / video about Leica on Luminous-Landscape. I have no affiliation with Luminous-Landscape. I just look for Leica articles.

https://luminous-landscape.com/the-leica-story-dr-andreas-kaufmann-interview/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

This is such a great interview. Thanks so much. Kaufmann is such a knowledgeable and passionate owner. And, amazingly, near the end, he gives his analysis of why big box companies are dying in the U.S.--and that same analysis is in today's NY Times. So, Kaufmann is a very shrewd owner as well. Anyone who thinks Leica is in financial trouble--because it doesn't have 42mps sensors or other silliness--ought to consider the quality and vision of Leica's leadership.

Big announcements coming in June 2018 on the L mount (is that the same time as the June 14 opening mentioned at the end)? perhaps that's when they'll also announce the Q firmware upgrade? Sounds like an important moment for Leica.

Gute Licht, indeed!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Leica has introduced the Leica Q a full-frame compact camera with Summilux 28mm lens.

We have all information and product images in our blog and a first review of the Leica Q.

The specs at a glance:

• Full format 24 MP CMOS Sensor
  • 28mm f1.7 Summilux lens
  • Digital zoom option for 35 or 50 mm
  • 3.68 MP EVF with digital frame selector
  • Contrast autofocus
  • Manual focussing with magnifier or focus peaking
  • 1/16,000 electronic shutter
  • max. ISO 50,000
  • Continuous shooting with up to 10 fps
  • Wifi / NFC
Question to you:

Is the Leica Q interesting for you?

Please vote above and comment below!

attachicon.gifleica-q-forum.jpg

To answer your question:

I have been shooting E. Leitz optics and cameras for a long time.  After drifting away from film to digital, obtained M240 to use my beloved old lenses.  Got Q about an year ago, fell in love with it practically instantly.  A wonderfully designed rather compact, being the full frame camera with 28mm high speed lens it gives you 42mm and 56 equivalences for APC-C and m43  framing.  Now, after getting a CL body, I got a perfect Leica travel combo.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To answer your question:

42mm and 56 equivalences for APC-C and m43  framing

I did not know that the '50mm' digital zoom was a m43 equivalent...

I always wondered what the IQ of a m43 sensor truly was

Thanks for the info!

I did not know that the '50mm' digital zoom was a m43 equivalent...

I always wondered what the IQ of a m43 sensor truly was

Thanks for the info!

Well Ms/Mr prk when you learn some elementary school math, you may figure that full frame coefficients for APS– C and m43 are about 1.5 and 2.0.

:p