NEW: Leica Q - Full Frame Compact with Leica M Feeling

Leica Q - Your Opinion  

627 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Leica Q interesting for you?

• I want one - where can I pre-order?
    • I'm interested, but I'll wait for tests
    • Interesting, but I want a 35mm or 50mm lens
    • Leica Q with interchangeable lenses please
    • Great supplement for my Leica M
    • Interesting but too expensive
    • Nothing for me...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I voted "nothing for me" because my favorite focal length is 50mm and the Q116 has too wide a DoF there let alone its small pixel count at 50mmm and the limited compactness of its body. I could be more interested by a camera covering 35/50/75(or 90) mm fields of view eventually but it would be even bulkier probably and the 75 or 90mm FoV would have too wide a DoF and too small a pixel count for my tastes i suspect so looks like that kind a camera is not made for me unfortunately. I wish the Q116 best of luck though! :)

They say it has a digital "zoom" to 35mm or 50mm, but I don't think this is as good as an optical zoom. 

I have a play with a Q in a shop. I love every aspect, particularly the auto focus.

However, why, in video mode, does the Q only shoot in 30 or 60 fps? Fine for the USA and Japan but tricky for European or Asian users who will have to put the footage through serious software to get it down to 25fps.

My initial reaction when the Q was introduced was that 28mm is too wide for me, but a visit to the Leica shop in Miami last week might just have changed my mind. They showed me some really big prints from the Q and even at high ISO these were superb. One of the prints was taken at the 35mm setting and that to was out of this world. I do like the idea of being able to set the focal length to 35mm and yet see outside that frame size to 28; much like on the M.

I only played with the thing in the shop but compared to the M evf the one built into the Q is superb and I was also impressed with the speed of focusing. I've more or less now decided to dump my RX1 (the results from that are excellent but I've never been too impressed with the actual camera) and opt for the Q, knowing that when it's successor is introduced (hopefully with a 35 or 50; or better still a tri-elmar) I'll get a good trade-in price.

On another note I would just like to say what a pleasure it was to visit Leica, Miami; they knew initially that I probably wouldn't buy anything (although I did end up with a Leica/Artisan bag) but nevertheless were so helpful and friendly. If you're ever in the area certainly worth a visit.

Regards, Tom

• 3 weeks later...

My initial reaction when the Q was introduced was that 28mm is too wide for me, but a visit to the Leica shop in Miami last week might just have changed my mind. They showed me some really big prints from the Q and even at high ISO these were superb. One of the prints was taken at the 35mm setting and that to was out of this world. I do like the idea of being able to set the focal length to 35mm and yet see outside that frame size to 28; much like on the M.

I only played with the thing in the shop but compared to the M evf the one built into the Q is superb and I was also impressed with the speed of focusing. I've more or less now decided to dump my RX1 (the results from that are excellent but I've never been too impressed with the actual camera) and opt for the Q, knowing that when it's successor is introduced (hopefully with a 35 or 50; or better still a tri-elmar) I'll get a good trade-in price.

On another note I would just like to say what a pleasure it was to visit Leica, Miami; they knew initially that I probably wouldn't buy anything (although I did end up with a Leica/Artisan bag) but nevertheless were so helpful and friendly. If you're ever in the area certainly worth a visit.

Regards, Tom

Since my earlier post I have decided to wait and see what the next version of the Q is going to be. Hopefully a 35 or 50, or some sort of tri-lens. I am committed as I left my RX1 as a deposit. With all the rumors and everything else I've heard (not mentioning the source) I'm hoping something will be announced next month. Interesting times.

Cheers, Tom 

• 1 month later...

ordered my  q  on the 8th from harringtoncatalog.....got it on the 16th.  Played with it this weekend.  I can only say "Wow".

If you are on the fence and have the money......buy it.  You will be very happy that you did.  It is much more than just a camera.

Am I missing something?

what has yours got that's extra and isn't camera centric?  :huh:

Edited by lucerne

It is a feeling, an experience of crafting images with the Q.  At the risk of sounding like I got secretly dosed with Leica cool aid, maybe it is a combination of the build quality, the simplicity of the controls, the feel of the images.  It is just a wonderful camera and for me harkens to the kind of experience one would have with an analog device.

• Like 2

The title says it has a "Leica M Feeling," but I say it has a film Leica R look.  

I wonder how the prime Summilux SL 50mm f/1.4 will look as far as quality.   I'm also be curious to the quality of the 24-90mm lens.

Well see!  

Edited by thebarnman

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a spectacular design and a great leap forward for Leica. The brochure line "compact redefined" is right on point. It is not pocketable of course, but it is a single piece of equipment with lens and EVF incorporated. Seems to me the cost is comparable to a T with 23mm and the Visoflex. Yet it is full frame and 24mp! Plenty of room for digital cropping for electronc display.

I will buy this camera.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from first outing with new Q (btw received it in 1 week from Herrington - including Thanksgiving w/e). My T outfit is going on the block. It's a fine camera, but my 78 year-old brain had trouble switching between it and my 240. I will never give up the 240, but I am afraid, old friend, that you may be left behind more often now. The Q image quality is outstanding in my view and the controls and feel are so "M-like" that everything fell into place. The FN button is a great idea and the ease of going from "auto" to "manual" is great for me. Congratulations, Wetzlar!

Gordon

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

ordered my  q  on the 8th from harringtoncatalog.....got it on the 16th.  Played with it this weekend.  I can only say "Wow".

If you are on the fence and have the money......buy it.  You will be very happy that you did.  It is much more than just a camera.

In one  :)

• 1 month later...

I've tried it (thanks Hermann!) and I will buy it in addition to my M9 + 50mm and 75mm. The handling and the design are very nice, and the quality of the pictures (even of the cropped ones) is just amazing! I also find the idea with the 3 frames original and somehow a "creative challenge". It was challenging in the beginning - so first I also wanted a 50mm lens - but now I really appreciate it the way it is. Until now I've used it for nature and landscape, but I guess it's just fabulous for street photography. I had so much fun taking pictures with it, I will definitely buy one. On my last blog post you can see some pictures I've made with the Q: http://dianamicelli.blogspot.ch/

Just joined this forum. Never owned a Leica. Way out of reach for me. But I'm going all out to save for this. It ticks every box. Currently use X100 with WCL. Also use D750 on occasions, got a few lenses..

You may end doing like me : bring in all the other gear you have, lenses flashes and all, knee in front of the salesguy and ask how much this second-hand would be worth for him in the deal... ;)